Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 18th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Any Organizations to Help with Expensive Meds?

Hello,

I have 8 cats in my home and six outdoor strays that I feed and am trying to find homes for.

The cats that I take in are abandoned, abused, or neglected. Their health is usually not that good when I take them in. I pay all of the vet bills myself even if my son and I have to do without something.

I teach and am a single parent and am also paying on student loans for myself.

I have 5 cats on multiple meds daily and two of these are also on chemotherapy.

My smallest kitten "Baby Bear" is almost 6 months old and weights under 3 pounds. She is about the size of a 10 week old kitten. She has a growth in her abdomen and may also have FIP.

Baby Bear needs Aranesp (a drug for humans) which is similar to Procrit to produce RBC's. Procrit will not work because she will likely develop antibodies to it. We had a small amout of Aranesp and gave it to her and her labs are better but they will not stay that way for long.

Baby Bear could die just from her anemia and needs continued Aranesp therapy for a while. This drug is very expensive around $1,600.00 American Dollars for a months worth. The Aranesp must also be kept refridgerated.

Does anyone know of any organization that could help with the cost of the medication; donate "recently: expired medication, etc?

Most of the places that I am familiar with require a "good prognosis" and at this point we are just not sure what her outcome will be; but I don't want to give up on her.

I cannot afford to pay for this medication in addition to all of the others.

Any information that you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jennifer W.
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

The main organization that comes to my mind is IMOM. Not sure what sort of policy they have on meds though. You should also check out Feline Outreach, especially some of their links to other organizations that might be able to help. Good luck!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

What about this place! I have not dealt with them but someone passed me this info awhile ago..maybe worth checking out??

http://www.farleyfoundation.org/welcome.html

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

i dont know of anyplaces but how about some creative ways of making some extra $$ from petsitting to dog walking, they dont take too much of your time and can make ok money with them

or do you have any crafts you do? or art skills? if you can paint you can always buy cheap cat and dog bowls, paint some designs on them and sell them, if you let people know what you are doing it for maybe they will help you

talk to your local humane society about doing some volunteer/work hours for free vet visits???
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

farley foundation is a foundation for people on seniors pension or ODSP to cover their vet cost usually will give up to 500$
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:25 PM
-

I came across this site when I was doing some other research. I'm not sure it's applicable but anything is worth a shot:
http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/root/

I have also seen requests for and offers of veterinary meds on Freecycle ~ it might be worth checking the policies on Vet meds of your local Freecycle chapter.
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

As for extra work/arts and crafts, etc. I already work about 50 hours a week and have a Dyslexic/Disabled son in college who requires my assistance in the evenings with school work.

Also, this drug alone would be more than I bring home "monthly" from my regular "full-time" job.

Also, I would need the medication within about 1 week for "Baby Bear" to survive. Thanks but I have already thought of this. Also, I am not very crafty. I am more of a book worm and have looked for tutoring jobs but have not found any yet.

Also, in the eveings, I try to spend what little time I have left before bedtime with my 5 ill cats and Baby Bear before we loose her.

Thanks again to all of you.

Jennifer W.