Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old May 25th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Long Term Member

City Pound... WARNING- This is very... graphic please don't read if you are sensitive

This is sooooooo f ing sad.... I CANT BELIEVE IT... :sad:

This is an account of an interview with - a former employee of --- Animal Control in which she details cruelty by the present staff. She was an employee there two years ago for 5 to 6 months time. She quit because of her overwhelming discomforture with inhumane pound management and cruelty to pets. This past summer her letter of resignation stating this, was brought to a commissioner meeting in which she testified, by pound administrator,---.

At the time she resigned she additionally filed cruelty reports with the Humane Society .When asked why she did not file a report with ---Health Dept, which administers the pound, she stated that she felt they condoned pet mistreatment and negligent operations as well. When ----, overseer, came to the facility he would laughingly joke at their cruel antics.

There have been other people, `-`- of ----- for one, who testifies that when she adopted a dog from the pound a couple of years ago that the dog was drenched in a chlorine solution. She filed a report at that time with ---- County and threatened them to stop the practise or she would report them to the H.S. (she also wrote Senators) She feels that her young dog's eyesight was ruined because of the chlorine. `--- said that she was instructed to slosh undiluted bleach onto the floor of the holding pen, while the pet was in it, and then hose it out. She believes that some pets died from chlorine, rather than Parvo as was claimed. She saw pets with bloodied feet and attributed it to this sorry practise.

Seldom were pets kept the 72 hour waiting period before they were killed, many never made it back to the pound but were killed on patrol. Many pets just disappeared! --- and ---, pound director and assistant, admitted that they are afraid of dogs and were brutal in constraining measures. A Rottweiler came in that was profusedly bleeding from a severe snare and it appeared that other animals that had been picked up had been beaten.

She saw -- kicking a dog that didn't want to move. At the time she worked there they were doing their own euthanizing and often they failed to immediately kill the animal. When a euthanized cat that didn't die was removed from a cage it scratched -- so he kicked it around the room until it died. She saw animals that were still moving in amongst loads of euthanized pets headed for the dumping ground. A county landfill operator has attested to this fact, that some were dumped still somewhat alive. A poor old man brought in an older dog to be euthanized, thinking it would be humane, and it took the old dog 5 hours to die. She saw a Pomeranian that had been euthanized, injected between the ribs, that "screamed" and struggled for 4 hours before it died. It was hunched up and trying to tear it's own stomach out. She says they killed every day, especially big old tom cats and puppies. The puppies would all be killed save maybe one or two and they would all be together in a cage, the live ones crawling over the dead ones. --- jokingly referred to his kill operation as a "processing plant."

She tells of one particular incident in which she begged --- to keep three healthy puppies indoors because of the extreme cold at the time and he threatened her that if she didn't put them in outside cages they would be euthanized. So she did and they all died, one mysteriously frozen in a pool of blood. The back door of the facility was kept shut so that no heat was able to penetrate to the outer pens. When water was put out for them it immediately froze. She saw a pet's pee freeze immediately as it hit the bare concrete floor. Many will testify that the pets never had even a rag to sit on in their pens, although tons had been donated.

She was told their policy was to feed once a day and if she fed more she would get in trouble because of the extra messes. The pet's dishes, loose bowls, would often spill onto the chlorinated floor. She suspected they weren't feeding on Sundays and arranged the food scoop in such a way that she could tell they hadn't.

She says there were deceptive office practices. She would be instructed to tell someone their pet had been placed when it had actually been killed or wasn't there, but it was. She noticed that pets would be killed before being admitted to the facility so she tried to speed up the admittance recording forms, in the hopes that it would give the pets the 72 hour waiting period if it were on record, but they just kept disappearing. She began cross-checking the euthanasia records with her own records and discovered big discrepancies.

She says that they would deliberately pick up pets that they were sure the owner would ransome out, that they would open gates to let them out and even unleashed some. Her friend saw this take place.

At the time she quit she warned them that if they didn't shape up, and use a list of Humane Society suggestions, that she would report them again. This past spring she saw an account in a local newspaper of pets still being hosed in their cages, by ------, and so she called ---- Pets for Life and reported these stories.

I dont know what city this was in...
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:

Last edited by JessXx; May 26th, 2005 at 11:50 AM. Reason: names and locations
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

THis is horrible,I hope this is fully investigated and these people do time !!!! They should never be able to own or work with animals ever again!

What goes around comes around (maybe they will get hit by a train on their way to work!)
Isn't Lincoln in NB??

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Long Term Member

oh yea... lol good point.
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:57 AM

That's disgusting. I have nothing more to say.
Sable
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Owned by goldens

Pound

Unbelievable!
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:22 AM

This is an awful story. It made me sick to my stomach.

There is a Lincoln in New Brunswick, but there isn't a Lincoln County Animal Control, plus the area code is 406, ours is 506 so I am not sure where this is. It might be in the states somewhere.
Mac - 1yr cat
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:22 AM

I checked the number listed above and it came up as a different woman but in Libby, MT. I saw Lincoln County and thought St.Kitts because that is our humane society, but its not here its in MT.
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Wouldn't that be Nebraska?

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:42 AM

If this is not a case that's been tried and the names made public record, then it's slanderous and the names should be edited out.

If this is a quote from a newspaper article, then please edit your post to reflect the source.

I agree that it's a horrible, horrible thing, and we should all be made aware. But, we must protect the good name of Pets.ca from slander lawsuits.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Thank you very much. For those who read this, and are interested in knowing the names of the people, please don't ask via public forums. JessXx may be able to provide that information via private message, but I'm afraid they can't be mentioned in public.

Thank you for understanding and altering your post.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!