Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old January 14th, 2014, 04:25 PM

Unhappy coco 1/11/14

hi- I lost my beloved 15/16 Lhasa apso this past Saturday. he had IVDD,heart mumur 5.6.,ccd-(dementia) heavy panting,blind-( a corneal ulcer.) drag his legs on the floor. incontinence etc.

I needed to get a mri/cat scan, or a fluoroscopy which would of shown us a better picture of what really was going on inside him but who has $2000 for an x-ray. I had him on a dexaasone 0.5mg pill 2x a day which is also a human pill used throughtout usa and Canada for asma.ivdd, cancer and other uses. ide effects are voiting loose bloddy stools. I only saw a little blood one night but then it stoped and his stools were solid. I do not know if he was internal bleeding. all I know he is goneever and I cannot astop crying. I 66 yrs old and there will be no ore dogs for me. I walked him in all kinds of weather rain,snow,11 1/2 yrs. I found hi bandoned in a dirt lot 6/28/2002 with a note attached to collar im homeless pls take me hoe with u. I was a animal rescuer I rescued 25 cats and 5 dogs. there was always a lot of cats in the complex . i am in bad shape myself. { edited by mod } any advise on how to deal with this sorrow. thanks lydia

Last edited by hazelrunpack; January 14th, 2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: No personal email addresses, pls
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:37 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing a member of our family, and one that has been a constant companion for a good number of years.
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to hear of the lost of your beloved friend . I wish I knew what to say about dealing with lost of a beloved pet. I had to put my beloved dog down in 2008 and he was my hearing dog. I try to think of the silly things he did. It took me awhile to able to get to this place. My dog when everywhere with and people still come up to every now and than asking where my dog is. dear Coco . I stayed with my daughter and her family after I my dog dies and I laid on the floor right next to my daughter's dog and cried.
Old January 14th, 2014, 07:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry to hear about Coco, sweetheart1. She had a great home with you--she was such a lucky little soul to have found you when she needed a home. And it sounds like you and she built some lovely memories. My heart aches for you.

Coco

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Please accept my deep condolences Lydia.

Even though it hurts like crazy 15/16 is a nice life span for a dooger. You did your best within your means and you should be proud of the time you had together

sweethart1

Sincerely

Marko
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:14 PM

hello to my canadian friends- thank u all for your kind words. surprisingly, im sleeping and eating. I still have his bed out and his toys and I can not seem to part with them. im not ready. many people go out within a month and get another dog, not me. I put off a knees operation for 2 years because I had no one to watch him. im 66 and alone. nobody would of tolerated his behavior. he was a wild and disobiedent dog, but I loved him with wall his flaws. I love him unconditionally.i had him groomed 2xs a year, gave him bubblt shampoos,good food, yearly dog exams. he had a coneal ulcer and I read online that is very painful for a dog. I got him optiume ointnment. I knew something was very wrong hen he did not want to go outside for his walks, he would flop down in the middle of the street when there was cars on both sides of me, I knew I had to take him to a vet. he had a mct gd2 in 2009 and had it removed. I had his teeth done twice in 2005/2009. he never let me put a toothbrush in his mouth, he put his teeth into my fingers and bite. I bought him toys. I took him to dog events, he cared less about it. I always wanted him to have a best friend dog. here in nyc there are hundreds of dog runs, even in prospect park Brooklyn there is this swimming pond just made for dogs. Lhasa are not born swimmers like other breeds-retrivers are natural born swimmers. I took him one time to the Hudson river in cronton on the Hudson,ny and it was after labor day, I took the chance I wanted to see if he would swim. he did, I let go for 5 minutes and he loved it. I was scared but I wanted him to expeience everything in life that was good. my brother yelled at me and said I shall never do that again. I said ok. now, that its over, all I have is his memory. I have empty arms, my arms at the end carried him to his bed he could not take himself to bed no more. he had ccd-dementia. I need u guys to check in on me from time to time just to see that im ok. life is very sad for me now. I have not felt happiness for a long time. I try not to cry because my eyes are swollen and it hurts. I put drops in them. bye. Lydia- forever coco rigsby mom.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:34 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Lydia you are such a wonderful caring pet owner. Many pets could only hope to have an owner like you someday.

I completely understand your feelings about how your lonely it is without our beloved pet. My first dog Winston I lost in September of 2011. It devastated me. He was my first pet and I loved him so very much. However he developed a very aggressive cancer and I lost him within 6 weeks of his diagnosis.(he was 2 months shy of his 12th birthday) It broke my heart everyday coming home and seeing his leash, bed, food bowls toys and all of the things that reminded him of me. I have no children so I felt this unbearable loneliness so I talked hubby into getting another pup. It took only a few short months and I rescued another sweet little chocolate lab pup who needed a home. I dont regret it at all and she has helped me broken heart heal.

Always remember that your boy will live on in your heart. Have you ever heard of the Rainbow Bridge? if you have a chance have a look at this website:

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Have you used the PM messaging system here on pets? If so I would love to chat any time you might need to.

Have you ever considered volunteering some time to walk dogs in your area? Here is Canada the SPCA's offer a program where you can volunteer to help out by walking their dogs. They also have great needs here in rescue and in the SPCA's for people to foster dogs and cats in their homes.

Feel free to drop by the section here on pets called the TJT which is an area where we just chat about anything and everything!! If you are not sure where to find it just let me know and I can direct you.

Take care
Cindy (Sophie's Mom)
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Fuzz Lover

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful life you must have had together! But it sounds like it was time for him to cross the bridge.
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Lydia, I'm so sorry for your loss of Coco. Like Winston, most of us here have lost beloved pets, and for every person it is different. Some wait a year to get a new pet, others (like myself) get a new pet right away. I just can't picture life without a dog at my feet - or on my feet! It's obvious you loved your sweet Coco and gave him everything you could.

I love Winston's suggestion that you could volunteer to walk dogs for the SPCA. Can't you just imagine that Coco would be proud of you for sharing your love with those pups who need love as much as you do. If I didn't have three dogs of my own right now, that's what I would want to do.

I hope you come back here to visit us again. We're here for you if you need anything. Let me tell you from my own experience, that Winston's offer of moral support is sincere. She's a lovely person with so much love and support to offer people.
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:51 PM

Hi Lydia,
Very sorry for your loss. All of us who have lost a beloved pet feel your same pain. The suggestion of walking dogs for the SPCA helped me when I lost my dog Sparky many years ago. I then went on to fostering for a local rescue which may help you. The time spent helping other animals will benefit you both and you never know, you may just fall in love with a foster and make it your own
Old February 1st, 2014, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm very sorry for your loss.