Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Coyotes kill dog

In the Durham region

http://www.torontosun.com/news/toron.../13088336.html

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Doggie Wench

How sad for the family .
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

oh no, that is terrible....
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I see so many of them all the time in my area.
I haven't seen a cat in my neighbourhood in quite some time
I knew it would just be a matter of time before they caught a dog

There was a story in our local paper about a reader who actually saw them take down a deer not to far from our home.

The first time Buddy chased them there were 7 in that pack, but these look much to big to be coyotes (Buddy's 55lbs and they towered over him). But they did say that they believe the Coyotes are breeding with the wolves in our area, and they call them Coywolves.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:14 PM
-

Begs an interesting question though doesn't it?

What should we, in the City, do to stop them?
Old March 3rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Begs an interesting question though doesn't it?

What should we, in the City, do to stop them?

We need to be vigiliant about keeping our pets safe, and out of harms way.

Keep cats indoors, and small dags need to be kept close and try not to walk in the dark, or if you do stay on well travelled streets and sidewalks.

Stay away from parks and ravines from dusk to dawn.

Make sure your yard fences are high enough, and can not be dug under.

Keep your yard clean and garbage free so as not to attract them.

So many want to blame the wild life for everyting, but ultimately they are our pets, and as such are OUR responsibility and it's OUR job to keep them safe.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

oh so sad rip little puppy
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

It's very sad indeed, but the coyotes are just trying to survive in our world. And yes, it is our responsibility to keep our pets safe by keeping our yards uninviting. We have coyotes in our neighbourhood, and bears too. The coyotes don't bother us though, they are more afraid of us than anything. If people got to understand that feeding the coyotes who do venture close to humans the coyotes would actually be a lot better off. We did have one coyote who nipped a child last year, but turns out people were feeding the poor thing regularly.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:17 PM

Coyotes coming into yard

We live on an acreage in Central Alberta. There have been many days this winter when I have looked out my dining room window and seen coyotes at the fence. This is the first year that they have been so bold as to come up in the daylight. I used to let my boys (4 dogs) out to do their business without a thought of the coyotes but in December we put up a chain link fence (200 feet of it) around the yard to keep the coyotes out. I am hoping that they don't know how to jump a 4' fence. I guess if they try I will have to electrify the top wire. I would just die if something happened to my fur babies. I feel so sorry for the little pup
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:28 PM
-

Very sad situation, I saw it on the news last night.

In York Region, the Coyotes this year seem very brazen. Where my Daughter lives in Pefferlaw, just last week one was walking along the side of the road in daylight, they have also been spotted on peoples lawns, again in daylight. They are in close proximity to one of York Region's Regional forests, normally other years they don't behave this way.

Maybe their food chain is low this year . One would think that with the mild winter we have been experiencing that it would be aplenty....One thing I have noticed in our yard this winter is the lack of Rabbit prints around the bird feeders, come to think of think of it, the lack of Rabbit prints period.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
It If people got to understand that feeding the coyotes who do venture close to humans the coyotes would actually be a lot better off. We did have one coyote who nipped a child last year, but turns out people were feeding the poor thing regularly.
We know what you meant DD but just for the record: Unless you think your superhuman powers can make that Grizzly want to be a family pet...Do NOT feed the wildlife.

Seriously folks, I live a hop, skip and a jump from Yonge & Bloor and I'VE seen coyotes. Mange may well have killed off a good many of them in the last few years but, with the garbage strike this year I am sure we'll be seeing a whole new "crop" of "fearless and feral" animals in the City.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

There is also a distemper outbreak in GTA, so this may control the Coyote population

Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
owned by Tucker

Poor little puppy, I encountered a coyote once when I was walking my big dog (RIP) in a park near a school in Scarborough.. As the dog was 120lbs the coyote didn't bother him at all and ran away but I did contact the schools in the area as it was running around near where the children would play.. Having a cottage in northern Ontario we have many coyotes and hear them singing often in the night and early morning. I never let Tucker out by himself as you just never know where they might be. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
There is also a distemper outbreak in GTA, so this may control the Coyote population
You know, I'm going to go back and read the literature again Happycats. The "outbreak" started in 2004 according to one of the articles I read. I know there is yet another new strain of the virus but I wonder what the sudden attention is to something that's been around for a few years. I also wonder if the deaths of wild animals is being noticed more simply because of the garbage strike and more "eyes on the street". Or maybe it was just a slow news day.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd also like to remind people that if you or your neighbours are feeding the birds you are also feeding squirrels and rats and mice and skunks and raccoons. They feed on the seeds that fall from the bird feeders. Now you are feeding these critters you are feeding the coyotes. The coyotes come to feed on these critters that you are inadvertently attracting into your yards by simply feeding the birds. So unless you or your neighbours or whomever are relentless in cleaning up the dropped seeds you may be inviting coyotes into your neighbourhood with easy pickings so to speak.
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3iggys View Post
We live on an acreage in Central Alberta. There have been many days this winter when I have looked out my dining room window and seen coyotes at the fence. This is the first year that they have been so bold as to come up in the daylight. I used to let my boys (4 dogs) out to do their business without a thought of the coyotes but in December we put up a chain link fence (200 feet of it) around the yard to keep the coyotes out. I am hoping that they don't know how to jump a 4' fence. I guess if they try I will have to electrify the top wire. I would just die if something happened to my fur babies. I feel so sorry for the little pup
I hate to tell u this, but a dog can jump a 4' fence, so I would think a coyote could jump it too.

I was told that we now have coyotes in town too. I knew there were wolves out in the bush, but didn't know that the coyotes have moved into the area now.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

watched it on the news again this morning, they said they are not going to call for a "cull" because of all the coyotes in the area, there are only a few brave enough to get close to people.....it showed one on a busy highway , next to a school just calmly crossing the road.
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
We need to be vigiliant about keeping our pets safe, and out of harms way.

Keep cats indoors, and small dags need to be kept close and try not to walk in the dark, or if you do stay on well travelled streets and sidewalks.

Stay away from parks and ravines from dusk to dawn.

Make sure your yard fences are high enough, and can not be dug under.

Keep your yard clean and garbage free so as not to attract them.

So many want to blame the wild life for everyting, but ultimately they are our pets, and as such are OUR responsibility and it's OUR job to keep them safe.
Great advice. I love your last sentence, so true

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
they said they are not going to call for a "cull" because of all the coyotes in the area, there are only a few brave enough to get close to people

Thank Dog for that

Old March 4th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Great advice. I love your last sentence, so true
thank you

I guess I'm just getting sick and tired of so many people "blaming" everything, on everyone or everything else Seems lately so many people don't want to accept responsibility for their actions, and no one wants to be held accountable. It's so much easier to point the finger isn't it
What the H@LL in wrong with people these days......sad part is they're raising their children like this and kids today seem even worse then the generation before!! They are so self righteous, and have a false sense of entitlement, and think the world and everyone in it "owes" them something!!
And never want to take responsibility for their actions !!

for the rant and going

Old March 4th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
thank you

I guess I'm just getting sick and tired of so many people "blaming" everything, on everyone or everything else Seems lately so many people don't want to accept responsibility for their actions, and no one wants to be held accountable. It's so much easier to point the finger isn't it
What the H@LL in wrong with people these days......sad part is they're raising their children like this and kids today seem even worse then the generation before!! They are so self righteous, and have a false sense of entitlement, and think the world and everyone in it "owes" them something!!
And never want to take responsibility for their actions !!

for the rant and going
Exactly what I was thinking as I was responding to this post!.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

so so soooooo true in all things!
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:25 AM
owned by Tucker

Sad is they are going to cull these animals, we build homes onto the farmland and woods that they once roamed. Do we have the right to kill them because they are doing what comes naturally to them going after animals that are smaller than them for food. What does that make us? Will one day a mightier power come and cull us for what we have done?
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

As we build out into their territory, the new coyotes that are born with humans so close, will loose their fear of us and get used to cars whizzing by.

There is a huge difference between the "local" deer in my neighborhood than the deer that come around in the winter looking for food. The locals just stay inside the tree line watching me until I am gone, but the "new" deer take off as soon as I am spotted. I imagine the coyotes are the same way.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy lover View Post
Sad is they are going to cull these animals, we build homes onto the farmland and woods that they once roamed. Do we have the right to kill them because they are doing what comes naturally to them going after animals that are smaller than them for food. What does that make us? Will one day a mightier power come and cull us for what we have done?

"Culliing" does not work with wolves/Coyotes!! they have proven this! If left alone only the alpha's mate, but once their numbers start to go down they
all mate to ensure their species lives on so culling makes matters worse and increases the numbers!!

I still believe it's our job to ensure our pets are safe. We also have to make sure Coyotes don't bcome to bold, by removing all food sources and scaring them when you see them to make sure they always fear humans.

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:08 AM
owned by Tucker

This kind of reminds me of last summer, one of our neighbours let their rabbit run loose.. I'd seen it one afternoon running around, about five minutes after the local fox came along sniffing where the rabbit had been. A couple days later I seen flyers about a missing rabbit accusing someone of stealing it and to return it.. If the flyer had not been written by what seemed to be a child I would have written on it check with the neighbourhood fox, but I didn't. Still can't figure out why you would let your rabbit run loose, we still get foxes and coyotes in this part of Scarborough too. Feel sorry for the rabbit, it would not be a nice way to go but if the owners were more responsible this would have never happened.
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy lover View Post
This kind of reminds me of last summer, one of our neighbours let their rabbit run loose.. I'd seen it one afternoon running around, about five minutes after the local fox came along sniffing where the rabbit had been. A couple days later I seen flyers about a missing rabbit accusing someone of stealing it and to return it.. If the flyer had not been written by what seemed to be a child I would have written on it check with the neighbourhood fox, but I didn't. Still can't figure out why you would let your rabbit run loose, we still get foxes and coyotes in this part of Scarborough too. Feel sorry for the rabbit, it would not be a nice way to go but if the owners were more responsible this would have never happened.
I know what you mean, I used to live in Scarborough as well, and I remember when all of the neighbourhood cats went missing (ours included ) and then one morning my Dad spotted a fox in our drive way with one of the neighbours cats in it's mouth!

From that day forward I vowed that if I ever got another cat it would never roam free outside, and I never have allowed my cats to roam free, and guess what, I have never lost a cat to any animal since!

Old March 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Catlover2

How horrible to have your sweet Pom attacked and and run off by a coyote. How absolutely devastating! This woman was out walking at 10 pm. with her two poms. In areas, where there may be coyotes I think it would be a good thing to carry can of wasp spray. Apparently it will give a longer & more forceful spray than a pepper spray repellent. She may have saved her Pom if she had sprayed or frightened the coyote, especially if sprayed in its eyes. Maybe 19 y.o. singer/songwriter Taylor Mitchelll would stilll be alive if she had wasp spray with her that beautiful fall day while jogging alone in Cape Breton National Park.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1341376/
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:02 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
I know what you mean, I used to live in Scarborough as well, and I remember when all of the neighbourhood cats went missing (ours included ) and then one morning my Dad spotted a fox in our drive way with one of the neighbours cats in it's mouth!

From that day forward I vowed that if I ever got another cat it would never roam free outside, and I never have allowed my cats to roam free, and guess what, I have never lost a cat to any animal since!
i grew up in scarborough, i remember when some idiots went and cut a hole throught the fence at the zoo and let the wolves out..they never did catch two of them..they were seen going into morningside park and poof gone..
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM

I live in a rural/farming area and we have loads of coyotes. We also have very stupid neighbours.

They had to put their horse down, (another story) left it lying in the field close to the house for 2 days, then took it into an open field quite aways from the house and just left it for the coyotes. But they go out regularly and shoot the coyotes because they're eating their livestock. Talk about IDIOTS!!!!