Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old May 31st, 2004, 09:32 PM

Wink Cant we all, just get along.

As a new member, I would like to say that everyone should take others advice, where they need it. The world is full of people, who ask for your opinion and then criticize you for it later. Instead of viewing every spoken word as a personal attack, take it for what it's worth. You asked, didn't you?
We will never totally agree! So what! It appears to me, that this board is doing exactly what it was designed for. Ask and you shall receive. Personally, I appreciate having something like this available. But as any qualified veterinarian will tell you, it should never take the place of medical advice. Everyone who takes a pet home, takes home the responsibility of caring for that pet, no matter what the cost. If you cant afford it, dont do it. We owe are pets that much. Loss of appetite, diarrhea and vomiting is not the same as a broken toe nail. You know the difference. Act like it. Are pets depend on it.
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I think the tone of it sounds like you are trying to pick a fight.
Absolutely not true. Merely a question. I've had a number of foster kittens, and it's taken much longer to get them all wonderful homes even when they are so adorable, so I was wondering how you did it so fast. Sorry I asked.
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:50 PM

LuckyRescue. I'm sorry then. I hate the internet. It's so hard to tell how people mean things! That's why I like to use the smileys to try to show some emotion.. if not a lot, I hope it helps sometimes.
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:51 PM

Btw, don't be sorry you asked. If you were just wondering then I am glad to answer. I just didn't want a new fight to start!
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor

i for one am begining to feel that it is just too draining to come here, every visit seems like a battle and i just am tired of it, if you step back one can see this site degrading into something not so nice or happy and i for one have no time for this sadness and am really sick of it; in the past i have just loved being here, it was nice and warm and no one was cranky and we had lots of fun, now it is really changing. if things dont pick up soon i fear i will have no chioce but to log out for good. as i am starting to feel embarassed and ashamed of the nastiness that goes on here). ohhhh crap...
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

NO you aren't Mel! You stay right here you buggar LOL!! We luvs ya!

RescueKitty I'm glad the kittens are doing well.
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:06 AM

Let's try democracy- if all else fails

Said only partially with tounge in cheek--why not do like the reality shows
(which I hate with a passion but admire their process) and vote people off the island board???
If someone or a group of someones is so damaging to the integrity of the board why not vote them off and be done with it?
" Banish them off with their heads"
Granted visiting a board should be a non violent and helpful experience. Passion runs high on this board. The interesting thing is the rescue and care of animals has risen to the fever pitch of a political discussion and similar in intensity to the Gay rights - Civil rights and far rights political positions.
Since this is a board where all should be welcomed, the manner in which one responds and the manner in which someone takes the response has to be tempered with the knowledge that everyone does not have (as stated many times before by almost everyone) the same capabilities of care or convicitons as to what constitutes good quality care.
Things might settle down a bit if we confined ourselves to offering advice and not rendering opinions and judgemental pontification as to the conditions of care someone might have for an animal. Also I might add that if the animals could speak - for themselves- the cat that lives in a barn might prefer to stay there sleeping among toasty hay bales and having a random dinner run by in the form of fresh mouse instead of coming inside to the chemical laden apartment and lounging on a sofa. While the barn cat might appreciate a regular meal of canned food to suppliment their "random rodent" diet they might not want to trade it in for the warmth and security of apartment living.
I would feel better if the cat were inside however I am not always sure the cat feels the same way. I currently have a neighbor's cat living in my garage (access door cut in side of house for cat convenience and meals delivered every morning and night along with vitamin suppliments). Could something happen to her living in the semi wild-yes, but she has always been in the wild and to remove her now might be similar to making me live in an apartment complex-which I would hate.
I do the best I can with what I have and trying to take into consideration the natural desires of the animals.
My three rescue cats who have lived inside now for over 10 years, would not know how to survive out side in the country wild life scene, anymore.
We should not allow fighting among ourselves be the reason for people to leave the site.
I have been guilty of passing judgement on conditions mentioned especially small apartments and large dogs, but it is just my opinion, not the rule of law folks.
Personally I don't mind the carping and occassional sniping. I am here, will say what I have to say, leave when I feel like it and listen to those I chose and the rest can prattle on.
Woody is ready for the first cup of coffee of the day.
Old June 1st, 2004, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Interesting
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Well Woody,I've already had a POT and read all the bad news in the paper
Mel,don't leave us,I don't think anyone gets really angry,but will give advice according to their own experience.
The cursing and sniping came mostly from people asking for advice,not liking what they hear,as an example a cat having kittens out in the cold under a piece of sheetmetal,that scenario to me is awful,but probably natural to the barncat. In the later posts,more explainations were given and things did not sound too bad.
My cats are three pampered kitties,they don't even want to be outside on their own.I have a fenced in property and they stay out,but only if I or hubbie is out with them,but that is just how we feel about our cats.
We all have different lifestyles and different ideas,but I am hoping we all have one thing in common,the love for our animals.
For many it is just not possible to pay thousands of $$$$ for surgery etc..there was a time when my kids were small,when even $100 was too much for the vet,but I would never,ever watch an animal suffer,one way or the other I would help him/her.
I also know of people who only love their animals to a point,feed them the cheapest food they can find,could not imagine spending money on medical care for"just a dog or cat"the love goes by the way-side if it touches their wallet.The shelters are full of "loved"pets dumped because they are sick,or cats because they are no more cute kittens.....
Ok...that's enough for today,the sun is shining,time to go out and see what all the rain did to my garden!! So lets all be friends,eh!!!
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
The cursing and sniping came mostly from people asking for advice,not liking what they hear,as an example a cat having kittens out in the cold under a piece of sheetmetal,that scenario to me is awful,but probably natural to the barncat. In the later posts,more explainations were given and things did not sound too bad.
I actually don't think I did any cursing or sniping! I am not the kind of person to swear at people... Ever. So as I know you are implying me, by your example... I don't think it's true.
And yes, the situation did sound aweful. I agree. But I stated in the very first post, I do believe, that I had taken the cat into the sunroom where it was warmer and dry to have the remainder of the kittens, after searching her out in the rain at 1:00am! If I hadn't cared.. and thought she was "just a barn cat" I wouldn't have done that. I knew she was going to have them, and was hoping she would have them in the barn, but knew I should keep an eye on her, as she had been spending a lot of time under the sheet metal, rather than in the barn during the last week or so of her pregnancy. I also wanted to make sure everything went well during the delivery. In fact, one of the kittens was born not breathing, and I got the fluid out of it's lungs/mouth/nose so it could breathe.
The thing I didn't like was the fact that people were implying that by me having a barn cat, I could not possibly love her the way you people with indoor animals love your animals. I think the scenario of a horse on 24/7 turnout is the same idea. They are provided with food, shelter from the elements, and protection, and are in all likelihood just as loved as any horse that is only turned out during the day. Just because an animal lives a different lifestyle does not mean it is not loved.
Sorry.. I know I probably shouldn't post this.. I don't want to start things up again.. But I feel like that comment was aimed at me.
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Out where I live barncats are a common thing, farmers put a cat in the barn to keep the mice and rat population from eating feed or whatever. Getting used to this practice is very hard to swallow but is also a long standing tradition with people out here. I have a spot about 10 minutes from where I live that I feed such cats, so does another lady, one day we met and decided on a feeding schedule because we both wanted the cats to get the best feeding possible she does most of it I do it when I can but there is always cat food in my car for when I see stray cats.

When we moved to this farm in December, we soon noticed it came with a barn cat, I call her Moma we have one of her kittens from last years litter the people that lived here before us just left her here her name is boots and I won't tell ya the rest to sad........lets just say that boots means more than the 4 white paws.
I have also recently met Papa (father to boots perhaps) I believe he is probably another stray barncat as it is very unkept long fur totally matted with burrs and neglect he has noticed that Moma does not run from me but enjoys a long petting and some tender love and a good meal. So now he comes once a day for a free meal and is slowly gaining some weight on his boney structure and the matting I have cut away quite alot.....he's a little bald and funny looking but I think he is glad to be rid of it.
I am doing the best I can to save up for another cat to go to the vets to be spayed (Moma) I know I should rush off and do it right away, but my buget only streatches so far I have hit the 2,000 mark already in the past 4 months so I have to catch up on some of the regular bills or we might not have a place or electro to house my little farm animals
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:47 AM

Well.. Yes, that is the main reason we have a barn cat. She keeps the mouse population down. But our barn cat is well taken care of, and fed good food, and always has fresh water available. I know some people don't treat their barn cats very well, but it's a major generalization to say that all farmers are like that. I know MANY farmers that have barn cats that are treated the same as their indoor cats, but live in the barn to catch mice.
I also feel sorry for the cats like yours that have been left behind. That is not something I could ever do. When I get a pet, it's a pet for life. Just like my horses, goat, donkey, dog, and now my cat. Her kittens will be finding homes, but only because that is the main reason I got her, to have her spayed and find her good homes for the kittens, after having them spayed and neutered to avoid more unwanted cats!
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggette,you made a very good point with"your"barncats,they do not live on mice alone!!! Most cats who devour mice are also full of worms..
The sad case(lucky they have you)with those two cats is exactly what most of us are trying to point out.
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

oh i cant leave you all, i tried yesterday but here i am today, i really like you guys alot and would be sad without your laughs. it was just a very frustrating day thats all, got a little angry and sad but feel betta today. thanks guys and keep happy, life is too short to be sad or cranky
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
But our barn cat is well taken care of, and fed good food, and always has fresh water available. I know some people don't treat their barn cats very well, but it's a major generalization to say that all farmers are like that. I know MANY farmers that have barn cats that are treated the same as their indoor cats, but live in the barn to catch mice.
Sorry about the generalization, you are right. I have been to a few farm where the barncats are treated very well, unfortunatly in my experiences of the last 5 years I have lived up here I have seen some major cases of neglect and I mean major. Some farmers just use the barns and farm the land and rent out the house which is the situation I am in, there is only two barncats here that I know of but in the past I was at a farmhouse that had about 20 cats around and at least 1/2 of them were sick I saved 2 of them Katie and Min Min they are great mousers.
Min Min was on deaths door the vet looked at her and said she wasn't sure that she would survive and if she did she would have many problems in the future I wish I took a picture she was skin and bones I was leary of picking her up for fear of breaking something, she was very malnourished, had the runs badly weepy eyes and runny nose with constant sneezing and both her and Katie had ear mites like I have never seen before.
A little liquid gold, alot of ear cleaning 3 times a day antibiotics constant food and warmth and love and Min Min is now 4 years later actually starting to get a little fat and is as healthy as all the rest of my cats.

Sorry didn't mean to ramble on

This thread closed By Marko (Admin)
This was the OLD board - the new board has a zero tolerance on rudeness
Closed Thread