Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 20th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Angry Little bugger is spraying

I have a 6 month old kitten, male, orange stupid cute, that keeps spraying on the other cats beds. He is neutered, but the little bugger keeps marking anything soft he can land his little butt on!!
Help please, I am running out of deodorizer!
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

What a pain, but you gotta love those dopey orange boys, right?

Here's an article on spraying. Something else you might do, if he sprays in the same places all the time is temporarily cover the spots with aluminium foil. This will make the urine splash back on him, and cats do hate that!
Spraying
Old February 20th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

It really sounds like you are at your witts end! Don't hit the poor thing, whatever you do (you probably wouldn't). Try putting his food dishes where he pees. I've heard it works.
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:53 PM

Great article, thanks.
I can't really do the tinfoil thing, cause Nelson (the little bugger in question) pees on the other cats beds. I have a section of my house that only the cats and my 3 dogs are allowed. The cats live there, and at night roam the house. My dogs are all really good with the cats, and Nelson doesn't know he isn't a dog (or so it seems). Nelson comes right into the daycare room, walks around the other "strange" dogs (I run a day service for dogs out of my home) and never bats an eye.

I have 4 cats, Admiral Stinkeypants, Reverend Porter, wee Nelson and Doe (she is fat). The admiral and Doe sleep together, and clean each other. Reverend Porter and Nelson sleep together and sometimes play (Nelson prefers to play with my GSD pup and moose my motorized slipper aka bicheon shihtzu).

I have never busted him peeing on Doe and Stinky's bed, but it seems to only be their things he does it too. I have washed the bedding repeatidly and used a vareity of de-stinkers, but Nelson has graduated to peeing on the sofa where he and Reverend Porter sleep (I was recently laid up with the flu, so I slept there - the next day when I went in to clean up my bed he had sprayed one of the blankets.
Is this a dominence issue? Do cats do that?
Old February 21st, 2004, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Pretty-Kitty,I too have that problem,but my cat is 7.he never sprayed before he was 5yrs old.
He has a favourite spot on my TV armoir,has pretty well destroyed the finish,but I know he also goes elsewhere..my house is all wood-floors,easy to clean,except the livingroom,I don't like to close doors on my cats but have to keep him out,it's closed to impossible to get the smell out of carpet.
I am considering buying the spray at Pet-Smart,but I've tried other things that did not work.
When I take my cats outside(enclosed yard)it seems Chico and Rocky are competing in spraying,Chico will spray and Rocky goes and covers it with his,so I think I have a territorial problem My youngest,Vinnie,just watches and hopefully he will not pick up the trend.
Rocky is also on anti-depressants and it has helped,but not something I recommend for a kitten like yours,Rocky had other problems.
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:55 PM

to get the smell out of fabrics I have found a combo of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and hand soap are amazing.
There is also a pet friendly product out called "natures eraser" which I swear by.

The other boys in my cat population aren't picking up the spraying habit, and they are both 5 and litter mates. They were hand fed due to an accident involving their mom so their behaviors are some what dog like (my malamute - rest her soul- played mama to the litter of 4) I had a cat a couple of years ago that would pee but only on articles of clothing owned by a gentlemen I was involved with.

There is a product called scat cat at my vets office that she says works perfectly for keeping cats away from certain areas or furniture. She (my vet) has 2 little demons, and she highly recommends that product for detering kitties.