Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 14th, 2017, 10:46 PM
You can call me DOG!

Question Teeth cleaning side effects

Hello,

My Mollie underwent a routine teeth cleaning and examination of her teeth. It turned out that they also had to extract her #103 (right upper) Canine incisor.

She's home now and while she's still a little lethargic and unsteady on her feet, she's also experiencing uncontrollable bowel behavior. It's not diarrhea or solid, it's very liquidity, like yellow water. Is this a normal reaction to the anesthetic and procedure? Upset stomach perhaps?

She ate very well tonight with soft dog food but should she have something like hamburger or chicken with rice to calm her stomach?

Poor girl. She's just not her fun, rambunctious self.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old December 14th, 2017, 10:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, poor dear!

We've never had that kind of reaction to anesthesia, although it's not unusual for our guys to get upset tummies and be lethargic for a day or two. If she ate, her tummy can't feel too badly.

How often has she had to go out? Is she still feeling the urge?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 15th, 2017, 09:30 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How is Ms Mollie this morning, DOG?

I was thinking last night when I was falling asleep--are you sure it wasn't yellow water? I know that our girls sometimes have trouble with their bladders after a dental procedure. They give them fluid IVs during the procedure, and they're so out of it afterward for 12 to 20 hours that they have to bladder control and leak in their sleep. The side effect usually resolves after a day.

Certainly if she's no better today, you should contact the vet--but I know you know that.

Hope she's much improved today!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 15th, 2017, 10:42 PM
You can call me DOG!

Hi Hazel!

She's really moping! She's usually quite the barker when she cuts loose in the yard and not a peep out of her in the past 24 hours. The "squirting" has subsided and she did have a solid bowel movement tonight. Small but solid.

She's taking 250 mg Amoxicillin x 2 daily (for 7 days) but also 1-1/2 tablets of Rimadyl for 3 days which seems to be helping with her pain. Still sleeping lots but when she's up, she's wagging her tail and giving paws so that's a good sign.

I was also able to lift her lip to check the teeth tonight and they look really good! I haven't tried to check the front where the tooth was extracted yet as I don't want to cause her anymore discomfort then she already has had.

On the mend but very slow. Home with her all weekend so hopefully she'll spring back to her peppy puppy self.

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old December 16th, 2017, 09:08 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm glad she's improving on both ends! Whew!

How long does she get soft food? That's always the best part of a dental for our guys!

Old December 16th, 2017, 06:10 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm glad she's improving on both ends! Whew!

How long does she get soft food? That's always the best part of a dental for our guys!
She seems to be back to her normal self now. Barking at the birds & squirrels. They told me to give her soft food for 3 days. Funny; instead of giving her, her bedtime dog bone treats, I've been giving her a handful of Bella's Kitty Temptations!

The vet also gave me a complimentary bag of dental food and each kibble is about the diameter of a quarter and just shy of a 1/4" thick! He said I could mix it in with her regular food or even give as a treat. Just might do a little of both.

So happy to to see her bouncing back.

Old December 16th, 2017, 10:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Our dogs will come running when I open a can of cat food. Cat food/treats must seem pretty exotic to them! Foreign food!

Glad she's back to her normal self!