Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old December 15th, 2005, 12:27 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Someone dropped a house on my sister and took my shoes...

Ok, so the past week, I've been a complete insomniac. Generally in bed by 10ish, I've now been seeing 2-3-4 am any given night when I've got to be up by 6 (essentially keeping my old university hours - eek!) and usually require at least 8 hours of sleep. Exercise is a daily thing on top of walking my 2, no caffeine at least 4 hours before bed, and no food 2 prior. I'm stumped, any thoughts?

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Performance Spaniels

I lack thoughts..

Just needed to tell you the thread title rocked my socks.
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm in the same boat. I can't sleep either... I think it's just stress, I'm juggling 2 jobs, christmas shopping, cooking, parties, plus dealing w/ regular household stuff - cleaning, laundry, special time for each pet, bf, etc.... too much to do, not nearly enough time in any given day to do it. I'm in bed by 10, asleep by 12:30-1am, up again at 3-4am, back to sleep, up again at 7 (when I should of been up at 6)... running late... story of my life....
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Lightbulb

Sorry had to check out the title!
Hey that's an Idea, this title is so interesting and inovative, maybe lack of sleep is a good thing?

Spelling is an option
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

cut out caffeine all together, (o.k. have one in the a.m. ) (but don't forget about soft drinks and chocolate!) and increase intake of both calcium and tryptopan.(sp?) i.e. Have a nice glass of warm milk with a turkey sandwich about an hour before bed. There are many other foods that contain tryptopan, and you can also get both in pill form.

And when your tossing and turning....just get up. Don't lie there forcing it. Get up, go watch t.v., read. Whatever. Lying there is worse.

OH! and plan to finish off any excercise routines--even light ones--at least 6 hours before "zzzz time".

just what worked for me. good luck
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:40 PM
-

I am sure you don't have this but I have chronic fatigue syndrome. It is an added issue that is associated with my fibromyalgia. My problem is that I don't seem to get a good deep sleep. Apparently as I am about to enter into a deep sleep my brain fires something to wake me up so I never seem to get past a light sleep and end up waking up half a dozen times a night and then up for good between 5:30 and 6.
Old December 15th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Quote:
And when your tossing and turning....just get up. Don't lie there forcing it. Get up, go watch t.v., read. Whatever. Lying there is worse.
Yes! And don't do anything in bed. No reading, nothing. Your bed is JUST for sleeping in and you have to program your body to react that way to it.

Stacey, that really bites! Do you take anything that would help you sleep deeper? It sounds like a real nuisance.
Old December 15th, 2005, 10:01 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

But twinmommy, I can't live without my Tim Horton's in the morning! I have it brought back everytime my one friend goes home to Halifax - he mules it across the border! I just want this lapse to end I guess, this happens once every 3 months or so where I just can't sleep, and when I finally do, I'm not getting good sleep. Couple that with writers block and my poor doggies are just like "ack go live with someone else for awhile!"

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Senior Contributor

naaaw, have the morning Tim Hortons'!!! (otherwise the DAY will be just as nasty as the NIGHT!!! )

As an afterthought, try jogging your long term memory.

When you're lying there attempting sleep, try to remember something from waaay back, like your old old phone numbers, old friends middle names, high school locker combinations....numbers seem to be the key, and this supposedly releases sleep provoking chemicals in your brain.....

I didn't really try this myself, b/c I can remember numbers effortlessly (useless talent!!) but it sounded cool.
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:26 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Stacey, that really bites! Do you take anything that would help you sleep deeper? It sounds like a real nuisance.
Oh, You have no idea. Is is bad but not quite as bad as the pain can be.
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:00 AM

:sad: :sad: :sad: