Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old March 6th, 2005, 11:24 PM

Arrow Web site-- Pet adoption classifieds

I just wanted to post somewhere that we adopted a dog from a person who posted an ad on the following website. It's for Quebec, and it's great. SPCA's list the inventory of dogs-- my dad was looking for a particular "used" dog and got his dog from a shelter over an hour away because of an ad (it's a Jack Russell). Our blue eyed black lab/husky mix came from a lady who was moving to Australia (FREE!). It's great.

And here's my living endorsement:
Attached Images

Last edited by White Wolf; August 26th, 2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old March 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Prin: I look at ***** website as well. I see many adds that people are giving away their dog which is wrong. My friend and I try to call or e-mail these people and try to educate them. What shelter did you get your dog from? He's a cutie!

Last edited by White Wolf; August 26th, 2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Agree that pets should never be given away for free. Terrible things can happen to them, and since the owner thinks the dog is worthless, many others will too.

Prin, your dog is one of the lucky ones. But everyone is not like you and some people will take a "free" animal even if they don't want it, and many will end up dumped, abused, tied out or sold to research laboratories.
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:23 PM

I got my dog free from a lady who couldn't keep her anymore but she screened me hard-core before letting us have her. Just because a dog is free, doesn't mean it's not loved. I get ill from the other way-- people who try to sell 7 year old lab mixes for $300... That's just selling an SPCA dog. When they are free and you get screened, you know they are just looking for the best home. The best home is not necessarily the one who will pay the most.

We went to her house twice, once alone and once with our big Boo and then we took her to our house once and for a weekend, then a week (at this point it was never ending...) and then we got her.
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
When they are free and you get screened, you know they are just looking for the best home.
The best home is not one who refuses, or cannot, pay an adoption fee. If they can't afford that token amount, or don't think the animal is worth a dime, what will they do if the animal needs vet care?

Someone who will take an animal only because it's free is not a home I would be placing any in. There are no guarantees, but someone who is willing to pay an adoption fee for a spayed/neutered animal is at least showing good intent.

I know of people who have refused to get vet care for an animal precisely because "I'm not spending 200$ on a FREE dog/cat"! They feel an animal who was cheap, or free, is not worth it. They won't even get them spayed or neutered.

Also, there are people who earn a living scanning classified ads, looking for "free" pets. This is a profitable business for them. They then sell these animals to laboratories. Charging an adoption fee ensures the animal won't end up there.

An adoption fee of a couple hundred dollars is a tiny token amount compared to what an animal can cost over a 15 year lifespan.

We carefully screen adopters, have contracts, do home checks AND charge an adoption fee. Anyone who won't pay it doesn't get the animal, period. NO, we cannot be 100% sure the animal will never ever be dumped or abused, but charging an adoption fee is one of the steps to try and ensure they won't be.

My animals were all free too - strays or rejects. YOU know you are a good home, and *I* know I am a good home - but to MANY people, "Free" = "worthless".
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Yes but even if you charge an adoption fee, it's all about screening. How many people pay $175 at the SPCA and bring the dog back a week later? I think a free dog given to a screened home is better than a $175 dog given to Joe with a credit card.

The lady who gave us Jemma went through 3 homes before deciding on ours. She didn't want our doggy to end up with elderly, people with teenage children, or people with a yard-- weird, I know but she wanted who ever got Jemma to be active with her, not just throwing her in the yard by herself. Having another active dog meant we were already out walking and playing. The lady giving her away was tough- she called us 1ce every week and made us promise to give her back if we couldn't keep her. I still talk to her nearly every 2 months even though she travels all the time. I wish every dog-giver-awayer was this thorough and caring. I still keep in mind though that any dog owner who "has" to give away a dog, is not my kind of dog owner... I firmly believe that your life changes should involve your dog. I mean, I bought a house with my boyfriend because we couldn't find another apartment that would allow these big dogs. So many people just leave them behind.

Isn't the worst the people who abandon geriatric dogs because they can't afford it or don't have the time? That's the saddest. :sad: We always saw our doggies though to the end, as I am sure most people on this site have done too.