Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

what difference in pets care do you make because of the heat

do any of you do anything different because of the heat?

Brina and I walk now at 6 am instead of 7 and cut back to 2 miles, we do it again at 8 pm, she has her pool set up so she can hop in at any time.

I also sit dishes of partially frozen water around my yard for the squirrels, birds etc, this morning I thought I was picking up a dead black squirrel, ended up just resting, he's about 7/8 weeks old and doesn't know enough to hide in the heat so I put food in the tree for him and will keep an eye on him today because of the cats. e have a/c but Brina still prefers to sleep in the sun in the sun room...what is it with black dogs liking the sun?
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Jasper can't tolerate the heat, he ends up panting and gets himself all worked up . Unfortunately for him that means he is not allowed outside to do what he loves best , hunting the chippies . It drives him crazy .

I, personally am not a fan of air conditioning, but have it on now for him.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:16 AM
-

Believe it or not , Churchill has been outside all day even with the heat wave we're having. He refuses to stay in ! He hangs out under the deck. I asked advices to someone who owns 2 Pyrenees and knows the breed well , he said Pyrenees are ok with extreme weather , cold & hot. So I check up on Churchill many times a day , change his water often , give him frozen treats (I make ice cubes with plain yogourt).
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I do chicken stock (my own so no sodium) ice bowls for Brina

love4himmies, I don't like that a/c either and usually only use it an hour before hubs gets home (he's a welder, hot job) but the last two days I've had it on for my grandson staying here. we always seem to have a breeze here.
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:37 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

It's 37 degrees - zero breathing air and only 9h30 am toilet breaks, that's it ... even with AC my house is still hot
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

thats us during the day too , I let her out and pull her back in unless she's headed to her pool.
Old July 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM

I to have shifted our walk times, and cut back on the lenght of time when we do go (over 30 degress mid-day, 27 by eight o'clock)
Checking water dishes several times a day because Sunshine insists on emptying the cats dish before trying her own which is filled twice a day so can't possibly be stale water
fans on, and the cats retreat to the cool tiles in the basement while Sunshine takes over the tiles in the kitchen.
Took Sunshine to the dogwash and got her thoroughly clean and thoroughly cooled off.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Well here in BC we haven't had that problem yet, although today is supposed to be the start of a warm spell. It's supposed to get to the low 30's in some areas tomorrow (like 30 - 31). We don't generally get much humidity though so it keeps it much more tollerable. We also have ocean breezes or mountain breezes blowing around to keep the air moving. That said, it still gets very hot sometimes. I shift the dogs walking time at night and we go later, and shorter walks also as Shadow is getting old and not so into the loooong hot walks. I freeze water also in tupperware dishes and then plop those big chunks into their water bowls outside. I've been thinking of a cooling scarf for Halo as she seems to suffer the most from the heat. That said, they're both laying beside my desk right now at the office enjoying the a/c.
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I too am not a fan of central air,love opened windows,but on days like this I am ever grateful we have it.
The cats went outside with hubby this morning,but after 10min,Rocky was open-mouthed breathing and Chico and Vinnie wanted in,so they've been inside all day.
We walked Bailey for about 30 min,brought some water with us,she was ok,did her stuff and had some icewater and treats,then I took her to her house.
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Floppy Dog

We're in BC too. My daughter, who's home from school now, will give Lady and Crush mist baths with a spray bottle to help them cool down. We keep the fur shorter too. Also, walks tend to be later and beside the river under the trees. It can be as much as 10 degrees cooler there. Since Lady is a swimmer, there's no stopping her when she sees water, in she goes!

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Clark and I do the 630am walk and a quick pee when I come home then once the sun goes down we go for a longer walk. But his times get cut back when it is this hot out. I also find he does not eat as much so I make sure he has lots of water. We usually go to the park around midnight for a ball throwing session he would do this in the hottest weather if I let him he is OCD about his ball.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't like air conditioning but I make exceptions on hot days like this because of the dogs, and I put up gates so they stay in the cooler part of the house. Usually if we're outside they want to be out even if it's hot but when it's very hot we even get a little strict and don't let them have their way. If they stay in the shade we let them come outside for a little bit with a nice bowl of ice water... but if we have to be out for a while we make sure they stay in where it's cool.
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I have 5 fans for the critters. Today I felt bad for Miss Tyra. She was splayed out on the floor, sooo I shaved her down to the skin and wet her down. Sir Quincy is sporting long face hair and butt but is skinned in the middle. ( He wouldn't sit still.) LOL Annie and Missie don't seem to mind the heat. They have a bowl of water and a icebowl. And Piper the cat, well I gave him a lion cut a few weeks ago and he is doing good. And no I will not put pictures up. Must preserve the royals dignity..

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old July 7th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Tegan and Mindy always want to lay in the sun! What is up with that? There can be lots of shade and patches of sun and where do they want to lay? Yep,,,the sun! Grrr

I don't take Mindy for walks when it is hot. We just sit on the patio for a bit then back into the house. Lots of water some ice cubes..lots of fans, window a/cs...etc.

Shay come on...ya gotta show up ics!
What do u use to shave the dogs? I'm still waiting for the groomer to get back to town. I don't know where she went but she has been away for 3 weeks now!

I don't really want to shave Mindy myself in case I catch one of the spots she has,,,but her fur is really getting long. I even made a little top knot for her but the elastic came out. LOL

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 7th, 2010, 02:35 PM

I'm in the Southeastern US, so I do love my AC. We are hot and humid, but it is typical here. I have a short-legged, jet-black Scottie dog. I try to protect her and keep her comfortable in the heat.

We have discontinued agility classes until fall. We take our long walks in the early morning and then around nightfall. I have to let the pavement cool off or it burns her paws. Also, she is so low to the ground and has long belly hair so she doesn't have much air flow underneath. I give her ice cubes and frozen green beans as treats. My dog also has a cooling bandanna and I will wet a hand towel to cover her back. I'll let her have short times to run in the back yard and make sure her waterbowl is cool and clean. Our "potty walks" during the heat of the day are miserable for us both. I will reach down to unclip her leash when I get inside and her back feels like an oven. She absorbs the heat so much. Last year I was more concerned with the heat, since I had a fragile senior. My current dog is in good health, but I really take caution with my breed due to body structure and coat color.

I really want Autumn to come....
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

We went out and bought a new air conditioner, set up fans, ice bowls and froze rock tiles for the chins to have. Plus we have ice cubes in the water dishes, changed every couple of hours. The rats get blocks of ice and they lay on them to cool off. Ozzy (single pigeon, his mate died) gets most of the day out of his cage and plenty of cool showers and baths. Plus we have sealed up our windows (tin foil, looks very white trash, but it helps keep the heat out), doors, etc. It's not been very very hot here yet, but we are ahead of the heat this year.
Old July 7th, 2010, 04:57 PM

I turn the A/C on sooner than I would if it were just DS or I. LOL, gotta keep the queen comfy, to heck w/the humans.

Mama to Izzy, rescued March 2009.
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Kitty pimp

ac till the cats freeze to the floor used to live in a plac where the ac was free ended up with gimpy under the blankets with me
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM

Ooo you poor easterns, heat with that humidity!
Just getting into the hot season here and Scruffy can't take it. We go to the park later, around 8:00 instead of 5:00.
I'll spritz him with water to help cool him. I keep his pool filled.
LOTS of cool water. If I'm watering flowers, I water him too! He hates it but it cools him off.