Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
Fuzz Lover

Could my dog be allergic to sweet potatoes?

I have one dog who has pretty significant skin allergies (or at least they seem so to me; I hate to see him scratching so much). He is a Lasa-Westie, and I know Westies often have skin issues. I switched him to Natural Balance as I was advised it was a good brand for dogs with allergies. Now he seems to be even more itchy and from doing some research it seems sweet potato can cause allergies (because of the hormones in them?). Has anyone else found their dog to have sweet potato allergies? I'm going to have to try switching to another brand, thinking of Merrick. I stay away from chicken as well as I know some small dogs have issues with it.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

My current dog has a potato allergy, and certainly they can also be allergic to SP.

My old GSD couldn't tolerate any type of starchy vegetable or carb.

Allergies and sensitivies are so difficult. This one here is also allergic to pea protein.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I really don't see what difference it makes if someone else's dog is allergic to sweet potatoes. What you need to know is what is your dog allergic to. That's what a visit to a Dermatology Vet for allergy testing might help you determine. Otherwise it's just guessing. Probably not cheap, unfortunately.

Are you even sure it is a food allergy? In my readings it's more common to have environmental allergies than food. My boy's environmental allergies are seasonal, pollens and grasses, so at least he can go off his meds in winter.

Good luck, it's awful to see them in misery.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
Fuzz Lover

Just wondering if it was possible. Sheesh.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:44 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Definitely seems possible to me.
An allergy test, if your budget can afford it seems like a wise move to me.
Good luck
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:00 PM

If you feel comfortable, try switching to raw - that may help determine if food allergies are at play. It seems most dogs/cats that have food sensitivities do just fine in the raw version of it
Old October 24th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Senior Contributor

The idea that raw is the fix all often does not work for truly alllergic and/or ensisitive dogs. Ome dogs yes, so might work, but don't get lulled into thinking it will cure all.

Also, most dermatologists cannot tell you what foods your dog is allergice to, as most only use allergy tests for environmental allergies, not food allergies. They will have you do food trials in an organized way to determine food allergies and senitivities.

I work with my regular vet and use the Spectrum food and env allergy panel, which has helped 3 out of 3 of my dogs. Dermatologists will nearly all the time tell you that they do not work, which I disagree with.

Also, many environmental allergies will cross react with foods and cause sensitivities. Ragweed allergies very often do this, often causing problems with raw citrus. It can get quite complicated when you delve into it deeply.

Some dogs just don't do well with certain carbs or starches, and they are not technically allergie.
Old October 24th, 2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
The idea that raw is the fix all often does not work for truly alllergic and/or ensisitive dogs. Ome dogs yes, so might work, but don't get lulled into thinking it will cure all. .
Which is why I said most - as in my experience and from speaking with people, raw actually has been the 'cure all' for their dogs that did have allergies. Like anything in life - always exception to the rules
Old October 24th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL

I think we all put in qualifiers to indicate there is not a sure thing. I said "might", Loki Love said "may" and Max Lisa said "often does not"
Old October 24th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Fuzz Lover

Thanks for all the suggestions. I realize it is a trial and error thing.