Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 28th, 2013, 06:56 AM

New dog and fighting

I have a 5yo male desexed neo mastiff x bandog who has been the only dog in the house for 4 years, Just today picked up a female unspade 11month neo mastiff. The male is great with my friends dogs and play quite happily with them and even had a sleep over with one and nothing even was close to being uncomfortable, was like they were brother and sister. The female has come from a group of 5 other female pig hunting dogs and I think did not get much human attention. The introduction went well, let the female into the yard and sniff her way around the place, let the male out both smelt each other for sometime and the hackles were up on both but no growling and ears back, after sometime they were still a little weary of each other but ok. Took them both for a walk on a lead and both were great. When home both tired and were happy to lay down next to each other.
The male is an inside dog and the female I suspect has never been allowed inside, so we then blocked the hallway off and allowed both dogs to be in the garage together, which was fine. Feeding was a little tense and was at either end of the outside area and supervised. Later tonight went to check on them in the garage and was well, we went outside the male wanted to play so we started to play a little, which was also good as the female wanted to play as well. They stood off each other as if they wanted to play with each other but were not sure. A little play together and my partner and I were smiling thinking this will work out. Wrong. Male grabbed the rope he likes and then female got the other end, playing then turned into growling, the female let go and started to walk away and the male then went for her, fight started, hose used fight ended both a little bloody female crying and wanting attention from us and the male still aggressive. Now, female is outside male inside for the night.
I should also state that I think the female is not very well trained as in sit and drop, but seems submissive, and is food motivated.
So we would like any help and ideas to make our family a happy 1, and would dearly love to keep the female as she seems to have a beautiful nature when by herself.
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:21 AM

Oh a bit of similar situation I was in... 3 months ago I brought home a male puppy to our 2 year old male, like you I thought it would be no problem because he always played with other dogs well. But, no, not when a new dog is invading their territory

I am going to say give it time, for us this is what worked -

play with them together in a neutral zone, when we give them treats I always make sure the oldest one gets it first, I feed them both at the same time, but in different spots, for me this was the only way because the puppy is a bit of starving marvin type and will jump dishes to eat others food. Take them for walks together is great, because of our winter here I was not able to do that with mine, but it is a great bonding exercise, anywhere you read about introducing a new pup it will tell you this.

Also make sure you give your 4 year old his space, for me, we had a special "quiet time" spot for him in the couch where the puppy couldn't reach him, because he would get so stressed that he would hide and not come out. So you really have to do baby steps and take it slow, don't push them into being together and getting along all the time, just a bit at a time.

Its been 3 months since we got our puppy, and now they get along, but I can tell you I still don't leave them together alone during the day, number 1 because the puppy is still house-training, but I also feel they are not ready to be in the same room all day long, I am afraid I would come home to someone being hurt, as even when I am watching them play I have to keep reminding them to be gentle - and then someone ends up crying.

I wish I could tell you I have a magic solution for yah, but I am still working on my situation, but it does take time, don't get discouraged so soon, I remember reading somewhere that it usually takes 3-6 months for dogs to bond. And even if they don't become the best friends ever, they can learn to live together, it just takes time, training and patience, lots of patience. I was contemplating re-homing the puppy after a few weeks, and now I am so glad I didn't.

Now, I am not saying is the same situation with everyone, but that was my experience. I hope it helps. And I hope you can upload pics of your furbabies soon Your pups have both very strong personality, so I would assume its going to take work, my brother had a golden lab and a mastiff that practically grew up together, just not in the same house, once they were living together they fought allot, because one was invading the other girls house, with time it changed but it did took a bit of time too.

I hope Tenderfoot will give you some advice she is very smart and full of very good advice!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Jull; March 28th, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

neo mastiff are guard dogs , and your male dog may feel likes he need to protect his family from the 'intruder'. I wonder what if you gave both dogs a bath so they both will smell the same. Dogs go by smell a lot and your new dog may not smell 'friendly' to him. I am trying to 'think' like dog and a dog does a lot of thinking with their noses.
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I do like Barkingdog's idea about giving a bath, it can't hurt, but I don't think it's going to fix your issues. These are both extremely large dogs with potential to seriously injure or kill each other. I would strongly recommend professional advice in settling them in together.

I've got an older dog and two new pups, but my two came in as puppies, not year old dogs. I wish you luck with this, I am not going to offer any advice as I really feel I am not qualified. Just based on the breed I again suggest a really good professional trainer give you some advice.
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Well I do like Barkingdog's idea about giving a bath, it can't hurt, but I don't think it's going to fix your issues. These are both extremely large dogs with potential to seriously injure or kill each other. I would strongly recommend professional advice in settling them in together.

I've got an older dog and two new pups, but my two came in as puppies, not year old dogs. I wish you luck with this, I am not going to offer any advice as I really feel I am not qualified. Just based on the breed I again suggest a really good professional trainer give you some advice.
I agree giving them a bath will not solve all the issues , I was thinking the female dog may have some smells on her as she was living outside.
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I understand what you were getting at. Agree it can't hurt to try it, may help some. She no doubt has some strange smells going on given her history. I just think he should err on the side of caution given the size and strength of the dogs.
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
I understand what you were getting at. Agree it can't hurt to try it, may help some. She no doubt has some strange smells going on given her history. I just think he should err on the side of caution given the size and strength of the dogs.
I agree with you about about the size and strength of the breed , I looked them up and saw how big they get and that they're guard dogs . Your suggestion about going to a good trainer is a wise idea.
Old March 28th, 2013, 08:33 PM

I'm wondering if the fact the new girl isn't spayed is also having an effect? Dogs pick up on the oddest things..

I'd feed them completely separately at this point - different rooms. Your male may not appreciate sharing his space, food, toys, etc with this new girl. I'd also make sure you spend 1 on 1 time with each of them - train seperately, etc.

I do agree with getting a qualified behaviourist in at this point - big dogs can lead to big problems if not nipped in the bud immediately.
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
I'm wondering if the fact the new girl isn't spayed is also having an effect? Dogs pick up on the oddest things..

I'd feed them completely separately at this point - different rooms. Your male may not appreciate sharing his space, food, toys, etc with this new girl. I'd also make sure you spend 1 on 1 time with each of them - train seperately, etc.

I do agree with getting a qualified behaviourist in at this point - big dogs can lead to big problems if not nipped in the bud immediately.
+1 whole heartedly agree. Sometimes 'behaviourists' are hard to find so you may need some obedience training. But whatever you choose, make sure they are referred by someone you trust and have experience with big powerful dogs.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:25 PM
banned user

Wink Same

I have an older dog his name is Harley. When Moses first arrived Harley took an instant dislike to him Moses puppy and a Belgian Malinois very energetic. It took being with them both and supervising when possible unable to do that 24/7 Harley would reprimand Moses in fact he caused a very big open sore on Moses nose Harley bit him hard. It took many walks and many being together with both boys and handling like brothers after about one month or so all good now. Do not separate them this is only going to cause more distance between both. It is important to allow them to work it out on their own and with help from family. The male is Alpha has been for long time now he has become territorial that is expected. Hang in there. I am only a junior member but I found this out by trial and error and allowed things to happen now both sleep together and Harley bathes Moses ears they even kiss. I hope this helps.
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:28 PM
banned user

Lightbulb whoops

My information not good. Obviously the senior members and top contributors clearly are more aware than I am.