Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM

Dog ate skunk

About two weeks ago my dog killed a skunk. Everyone I have told this to has laughed and I really don't think it's funny. I got the post partum report and they won't send the skunk for rabies test because there was no human contact. I took my dog to the vet with the post report and she said that he seemed to be doing fine. She gave him a rabies shot and told me that he would be okay. I am still very leary of my dog. Like I am living with Cujo or something. He has none "internet signs and symptoms" of rabies as he is still eating, still drinking, sleeping and playing with the "pug" (my dog is a lab X). He did vomit today and I will monitor this but I guess I am looking for someone who can relate and not laugh. Please let me know.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

ok first off i'm not laughing and i do want to put your mind at ease. I was bitten by a squirrel years ago, they couldn't test it for rabies. I went through the rabies shots. The quarantine for rabies to appear is usually 7 days so you are well past the danger zone. The shot the vet gave him is for rabies. I wouldn't really worry about it at this point.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
-

First of all , I really don't think skunk get rabbies. If they do , it must be a small number of them. And second of all , you said it's been 2 weeks ? Like 14-15 days ? Your dog should be ok because it takes 10 days to see the first rabies symptoms.

I can't believe your dog ate one
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
First of all , I really don't think skunk get rabbies. If they do , it must be a small number of them. And second of all , you said it's been 2 weeks ? Like 14-15 days ? Your dog should be ok because it takes 10 days to see the first rabies symptoms.

I can't believe your dog ate one

Any mammal can get rabies. Just certain ones are higher risk then others.

Your dog would have been dead by now if that helps any. That's gross though... my cat killed a wild rabbit once though. All my kitties are up to date with their rabies vaccinations so I'm not too worried about anything.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I would say you're past the point of worrying as well, but there's nothing stopping you from getting the rabies shots yourself if it'll make you feel better.
Frenchy, yes, skunks do get rabies, but it's normally the dumb form, not the furious type. I've seen a couple of them, but years ago, none lately. Easy to tell, each time the skunk was out in broad daylight, staggering, it's coat looked funny, really ragged and it's mouth was open, almost seemed like it couldn't close it. Sad to see really. Never made a move to anyone or anything, just headed for it's home under the neighbours shed.

Cindy
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
-

Disregard the 10 days warning I posted ... someone just googled it and it seems it can take up to 2 months.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:54 PM

replies

Thanks everyone for the replies. I know it can take along time for the symptoms to show. I took the juvenile skunk to the small animal clinic at the university and they advised me that my dog was doing his job killing the skunk. We are not sure if he actually ate anything except the scent sack and that we know for sure.... they said that because the skunk was so young, it was doubtful that she had rabies as she would have been too young to survive anything previously. Her tummy was full and so was her bowels so a rabid skunk that young wouldn't be able to eat as much as she did. I did ask if I should get shots but then they advised me that my kids would need to indure them as well if that is what I decided. I opted out. Anyways I was still kind of curious about the vomitting until about 10 minutes ago when I went outside to check on him and found that the kids next door were feeding him "something" through the fence. Hopefully that's all it is. Anyways thanks again EVERYONE.....
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Swift Tribe

oh my gosh, you poor thing!!!

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04