Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 5th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Hungry awhile after eating

I'm feeding Jag 1.2 to1.5 lbs of food per meal.around noon hour he is at his bowl wanting something to eat.so today i gave him some cottage cheese,egg and some beef lung.what else could i give him around noon when he's hungry.other then treats.he gets his morning meal between 5 and 6 am.and his supper around 5:30 to 6 pm.
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Is he still gaining weight? If thats the case I wouldnt feed any more other then a normal cookie/treat.

If Rosco has been more active during the day, i'll give a beef neck bone just for recreational use. He doesnt get much off it, but gives him something to do.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

Canned pure pumpkin. Not a lot of calories, but pretty filling as it is a squash.
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Learning fast

Can't help any as my 2 are more than happy till evening food time. However they have mats to eat off rather than bowls and they are lifted after feeding. Maybe something chewy like a nylabone would help (both mine have one end each of one at the moment merrily chewing away).
If you have the time then maybe have something with bone in the morning to give more of a work out. We still have the bustercube, but Riley just bats is around the room for fun now, as he's not that bothered on the kibble that comes out anymore.
It's a personal thing but I prefer a hungry dog at mealtimes rather than one who is contented to take their time, but that is probably a kickback from the kibble feeding as Riley was happy to pick at his food. Now he tucks right in or goes without he soon caught on.
Also are you at home eating at noon?, do you feed the dogs before or after you eat? We always feed after us so they know to stay away while we prepair and eat our food, then it's their time, if he assoaciates your meal time with his own then he may just have to go on a learning curve. Just keep an eye on his weight and go from there. You will know if he start to thin out and you can adjust your feeding from there. I have done the opposite and had to cut back a little (overzealous on my part at the begining as it was going so well). Have faith in your own observations and if you feel you need to up the intake a little and see if it helps, if not you can always cut back again.

Scott, I'm interested how you weigh Rosco? it's not like you can just pick him up and stand on the bathroom scales with him. Do you have just pop into the vet and ask them to weigh him (ours has cunningly hid the weight display behind the counter)
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

you can weigh him on a bathroom scale. Weigh yourself first and then pick up your dog and weigh both of you. Subtract your weight from the total and there you have the dogs weight.
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Yeah, if we go to the city we have to drive past the vets, and he LOVES going to the vets. They all love him there as well, so I try to keep it a positive place. They have the scale out in the waiting room, so now he just goes right to it.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old March 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Learning fast

I understand that, but what happens if you can't lift your dog? that's why I wondered how Scott did it. I took Riley into the vets when we had Missy checked up and I quickly used the oppertunity then, but other than that I don't have much call to be going to the vets.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

Oh come on. How heavy can Scott's dog be? 120 lbs. Don't be a sissy.... My dogs are all under 35lbs so of course that is how I do it.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:03 PM

I also just run him down the road to work. We use a lot of scales at work.

Old March 6th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I have a rubber mat also.he pulls the food out of the bowl.last weighing for jag was 80lbs.and i do the bathroom scale.i can still pick him up.i will have to fiqure a snack out.he is a high energy dog.i picked up some raw treats but don't think there very filling.and jag doesn't take his time eating.it's like the race is on.i give muscle meat with the meat bones in the am.and just muscle meat in the pm.i will also look into the pumpkin.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

i weighed him and he was 76 lbs.he lost 4 lbs.but still looking good.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:08 AM

You may want to adjust his portions then to try to stablize his weight if you feel thats needed.

Old March 7th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

he seems to be up and down in his weight.i would like it if it stayed the same or gained it.adjust his portions add more.they stay about the same weight for both meals.i'm still weighing everything.i feel better that way.so hopefully i don't over feed.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:54 AM

weighing meals is fine. I do the same. I have everything portioned out into 2lb lots. Makes it easy to feed. And your still fairly new to this, so it will take some time to figure out what amounts work best. And you'll still have to adjust based on activity levels.

Keep up the good work!

Old March 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Thanks Scott.i will keep trying.