Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old January 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM

LOST: Special Needs Foster Dog in Calgary (Urgent!)

REWARD OFFERED

Winky is a young Catahoula Leopard Dog who slipped his collar on Saturday, January 6th at about 6:00 am in the area of 39th Avenue and MacLeod Trail SW in Calgary, AB. Winky is missing his right eye, has limited vision in his left eye, and is deaf in his right ear. Due to his sensory deficits, he is very timid and fearful and we suspect he is most likely hiding somewhere in the area. We are extremely concerned for his safety.

He is neutered, has a tattoo but is not microchipped. If anybody has any information, please don't hesitate to contact me at all. His foster family misses him very much.

I'll get a poster made up ASAP, if anybody in the area could post it if they have some time, but for now I've attached pictures of him.

Thank you SO much!
Attached Images

Last edited by chocolatecoffee; January 8th, 2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old January 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
-

Chocolatecoffee, I am so sorry to hear this news. :sad: I know how hard you work to rescue these poor dogs. I hope Winky remains safe until he can be captured.

Good luck and my prayers and thoughts are with you.
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Crosspost suggestion...

I was just thinking you might want to crosspost this on:

http://members.boardhost.com/CatahoulaOwners/

and

http://members5.boardhost.com/catahoularescue/

I see he is already posted on dogdetective.com (was going to suggest that!)

I hope Winky finds his way home soon.

Last edited by wolfgrrl; January 9th, 2007 at 02:09 AM.
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
-

OMG , this is so sad :sad: I hope someone finds him soon
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:03 PM

Thanks so much everyone.

Thanks for the links wolfgrrl!

We're organizing a search party in the area tomorrow from about 3:30 - 5:00 if anybody's getting off work early and wants to come look for Winky, it would be greatly appreciated. The temperature's supposed to drop later in the week with flurries coming in, so we're really wanting to find him before that, poor guy doesn't have much to keep him warm. Of course, that fact that he was lost right by a busy road doesn't calm our nerves much either.

I've attached the poster I made up...any suggestions for anything I should add/take off?

Thanks so much everyone, and please keep Winky in your thoughts.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Lost Winky Poster.doc (51.5 KB, 197 views)
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Cinder & Maddie's Mom

I hope you find Winky soon Chocolatecoffee. :sad: Hopefully he's just hiding and is close by like you said. that you find him soon...

Pepper (16) Border Collie/Blue Heeler x
Samantha (15) English Springer Spaniel

Saving just one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that animal.

The soul is the same in all living creatures, even if the body is different.
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:15 AM

Crossing my fingers!

Poster looks good - short and to the point.

Lots of luck being sent your way from Ontario!
Old January 9th, 2007, 07:24 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Old January 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM
-

The poster looks good. I hope your search party is successful.

Stay safe Winky until you are found.
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Still no sign of Winky.

We've been searching every day and we're getting more and more worried - right now with the wind chill it's -30 and it's only going to get colder as it gets later and there's possible flurries tonight We've contacted the media (news stations, papers, radio stations) and only one radio station is announcing it for us.

Please, if anybody's in the area, please please please spread the word. He's probably incredibly scared, FREEZING COLD, and he should be in his foster home with a nice warm blanket. We've gotten the help of an animal communicator and have had tracking dogs help search for him...all to no avail. Posters are everywhere, yet in some areas someone's taking them down and we have no idea why. Rescues, shelters, and vets in the area have all been notified, as well as Canada Post who has put up a poster in their office and told their carriers to keep an eye out.

If anybody has a little bit of time and would like to help in the search, please either contact me here or I've tried to set up a site - http://whereswinky.blogspot.com .

Thank you so much for everyone's support, please keep Winky in your thoughts and prayers, and hope we find him soon.
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope he's found...I guess you called the city and/or hospital to see if any dogs have been injured from a hit and run?? I and hoping for a good ending
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
-

If the worst happened and he was run over do you know what the city workers would do with him? I know there's another cold spell happening. I hope he is safe somewhere. Fingers crossed for his safe return.
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:05 PM

We've thought that him getting hit is a very real possibility due to his impaired vision and hearing (can you believe all of that was the result of abuse...don't you think he's had enough?), and from my understanding Animal Services has a list of animals that have been hit. I'm not too sure of the details as thankfully I'm not responsible for checking it, but we've been checking it daily. I'm just heading out too search for him again...I can only pray that he's found a safe place out of the wind....
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecoffee View Post
We've thought that him getting hit is a very real possibility due to his impaired vision and hearing (can you believe all of that was the result of abuse...don't you think he's had enough?)
This is so unfair :sad: I hope he has been found and he's warm and comfy in someone's house right now.
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:21 AM

There's been a possible Winky sighting!

Yesterday morning, a transit worker thought he saw Winky at heritage and 11th St. S.E. by Leon's. His foster mom went out and looked around that area from about 12:00 - 4:00 am this morning with no luck, and unfortunately it's SO cold out, the tape isn't sticking very well to put posters up. The transit worker said he called Animal Services, but his foster mom called at about 12:45 am this morning and there weren't any dogs in matching his description, and they couldn't check the dead animal list at that time. There's an ER animal clinic by there and they already have Winky posters up, but they said they'd keep a special eye out for him today.

Maybe we're getting a bit closer...I just hope he was okay last night, it's FREEZING out there. Our search yesterday evening was mostly a car search and getting out in alleys to look in spots he could hide, you can't even bear the cold for longer than a few minutes.
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

CC,poor dog,I can't imagine how he would survive,my son(who lives east of Edmonton)said it was -34C yesterday:sad:
Still,there is always hope
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:39 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

:sad: Both my sister and BIL drive through that area to go to work. I'll forward them Winky's poster. A sighting is a good sign he's found a safe and warm place until he can be rescued
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM

We have media coverage!!!

The wonderful, wonderful announcer at the ONE radio station that agreed to cover the story (the rest didn't even reply to our pleas) got us one news interview for sure, and possibly another. We also might have an article on the Winkster in the newspaper!

People have been out searching ALL day, we found some dog tracks near the railway we thought he might have followed to get to the industrial area the possible spotting was at (he's much more likely to follow a path, and prefers quiet areas) and we've had listeners to the radio station, in addition to our own volunteers, out pretty much all day. It's seems that the coldest temperatures have passed and while it's still cool (-25 C right now with the windchill), there is hope in sight, it's warming up.

If anybody in the area has a bit of time and wants to go out searching (a big, big, BIG thank you by the way), like I said, Winky follows paths, can curl up into a very small ball when scared, and he prefers women. He's also much better with other dogs than people, so a dog or two in the search party might not hurt either. Of course, anything anybody can do is absolutely amazing, so a big thank you.

Thanks so much Golden Girls for forwarding Winky's posters along, much appreciated!!!

Chico, his foster mom says that if he made it through last night, he's going to be living the high life and eating steaks every day when he goes back home. He certainly deserves it .

Again, big thank you to everybody for their prayers and support. And if anybody's in the area, let's hope you see that gorgeous Catahoula boy when you watch the evening news .
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:30 AM
An Honest Contributor

Woo Hoo media! Any news?
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

WOW,that's great,nothing beats a sad story on the news,or a pic of this beautiful dog in the paper,it will certainly get peoples attention and hopefully a happy ending

But I wish the same could have been done for Jace and Homer still missing:sad:
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I know I am off topic too but I agree! Still hoping for Jace & Homer to come home.....It will be 2 months tomorrow I believe for Jace!! Come on home guys!

Positive thoughts going out today for Winky, Jace & Homer!!!!
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM
-

Glad to hear you got radio coverage and hopefully newspaper coverage. It's too bad that Global would not do a story on their evening news. :sad: The Global station in Vancouver is excellent about doing stories like this. I guess maybe because all the newscasters there are animal lovers and have pets of their own.

Stay safe Winky until you are found.
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:10 PM

Thankfully it hasn't been that cold.

Old January 18th, 2007, 01:03 AM

for Winky.
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:04 AM

Still hoping

I'm still hoping and wishing I could do more to help from Toronto.

I really really hope that Winky is found safe soon. Glad to hear that people are helping and that there is some media coverage.

Best of luck and I'll keep checking in for updates.

Old January 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Well...the news stations didn't show up after they made an appointment for an interview with us.

We did get an article in a newspaper yesterday though!!!

Winky was spotted on Friday night at 90th Street and Glenmore Trail. We didn't hear anything all weekend, despite numerous searches, and on Tuesday we went out with some great tracking dogs. They tracked his scent to a hidey hole so we left some food and a scent pad there for familiarity. We called a bunch of businesses around there, and one guy said he saw him there on Tuesday morning, so we were incredibly hopefully. Then we got some snow yesterday, so last night some searchers went out and found some fresh tracks...we were sure it was him...

Then this morning someone called us and said they saw him at the Canyon Meadows LRT Station, which really isn't close to there at all. They tried to catch him, but he ran...but they're sure it was him (and Catahoulas aren't exactly common in Calgary, especially one-eyed Catahoulas!).

This dog is on the move! We know where he is today though, so let's hope we can catch him!!!
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor boy,he must be terrified that you'll be able to get him
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:49 PM
-

Poor Winky. Stay safe until you can be caught.
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM

WE FOUND HIM! WE FOUND HIM! WE FOUND HIM!!!!!

Two weeks later...and we have a Winky! Somebody spotted him in Lake Bonavista today and called, and Winky came right out to his foster mom, dad, and doggie sister. He lost 10 lbs. on his run, and is getting a warm bath and lots of TLC tonight.

CityTV did a story on him yesterday, there was an article on him in the Calgary Sun on Wednesday and Lite 96 was SO supportive - their very own Charlee Morgan spent her free time searching until the wee hours of the morning! In addition, countless Calgarians offered their support, time, and even donated reward money.

THANK YOU everyone for your support!!!

A thin (but happy) Winky back with his loving foster mom:
Attached Images

Last edited by chocolatecoffee; January 21st, 2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Contributor

omgod thats wounderful news!!!!!