Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 15th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Unspayed kitty :(

After lurking one of my town's classifieds web site...I found a "free to good home only" ad Of course the sob story is the cat was found outside in the middle of winter with frostbite damage to the ears and tail. It was brought in to the home and had it's shots up to date...however the people never got her spayed!!! Long story short the husband doesn't want to keep this cat as they have two others. Why oh why didn't these people get the cat spayed while she got shots???

Me being the cat lover/owner I am sent off an e-mail to these owners trying to get more info. I don't like the "free to good home" approach, I don't like the "husband won't let me keep the cat" approach, the not being "fixed" has got me fuming beyond belief. I can only imagine she's produced batches of kittens in her 1.5 years??? urghhhhhhhhhhh

I called my own vet to see if they had space for spaying -- they're fully booked but can fit me in if necessary. I've got 3 rescued males of my own who are all fixed, so I'm really nervous about adopting a female who isn't already spayed before coming into our home....but I don't want this kitty getting in the wrong hands.

Haven't gotten a response yet from the "owners" sent an e-mail over an hour ago...but will keep you posted
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's for caring..I too called a couple of"free to good homes"the other day,one,the kittens were gone already,the other which was for a Himalayan female,more or less told me I was a freak and hung up
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Seems the "owners" took the cat in sometime last fall when they brought it in for shots. The kitty was starved and weighed less than 5 lbs when brought to the vet...the "owners" had to syringe feed it, to get the cat to eat. She of course is healthy, happy, but still remains to be a "small" cat, which is understandable as she was so undernourished when these people found her

The owners are having one of their other two cats spayed next week and can't afford to have both done, but the truth betold - the "owners" feel that they were good samaritans by nursing this abandoned kitty last fall and have provided all they could, but would rather her go to a good home that will have her fixed as they don't want to keep a third cat "indefinitely":sad: