Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Bite your tongue!!!

Thought that title might inspire some interest. Come into my lair said the spider to the fly.....
Anyhoo, I've got a Q. Bob and his girlfriend were playing in the park today and Bob decided to body check her. Yes, he likes it rough. In doing so he appears to have bitten his tongue. Saw some blood in his mouth and so I took a look in there and rummaged around a bit. Came out with a reasonable amount of blood on my hand. Doesn't seem to be bothering him at all other than he was licking his lips and swallowing for a while. Seems to have stopped bleeding at this point.
So, to make a long story short should I hold him off his food for the morning or the day to make sure he doesn't get any infection in there? Before anyone calls me a cruel jerk for suggesting, I know they can go without food for a day without any probs and Bob doesn't usually eat until evening anyways.
Any thoughts?
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

There shouldn't be any problem. Although mouth and tongue injuries bleed a lot, they usually heal quickly. I would give him his food.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Go ahead and feed him. I've seen dogs with porcupine quills in their mouth still able to eat dry food. The dogs saliva should kill infection, if not and in a few days you notice that is infected your vet will give you something for it. He'll be fine.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Thanks kids. I didn't think it would be a problem, just thought I should ask. It pretty much stopped fairly quickly, but noticed it opened up while we were playing a few times. Likely just increased blood pressure or something.

I just remember the day I bit my tongue, and forgot about it when we went for lunch. By the way, don't eat salty french fries after you've bitten your tongue. The folks at McD's don't like it when you say "Ow damnit" out loud in their 'dining room' while you're eating. Such fine dining.

This boy! I wish he would say something when he does stuff like this. He doesn't react by yipping or whining or anything. Just carries on like nothing's happened until you see blood all over your hand or foot or him.

By the way, if you want to know how to get fresh french fries when you go to McD's instead of the ones that have been warming under their lovely lights....tell them you are diabetic and can't have salt on your fries. They'll make you a new batch without caking them with salt before you get them.
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:46 PM
banned user

Isn't it amazing that they have such pain tolerance? things they go through and no pain killers...then us Human would be curled up in a ball with our blanket screaming for MOMMY! and MORE DRUGS! I sure admire them for that.

Motzi did that yr ago now. I rushed her in and the vet said that she will be fine and not to worry. Course worry is what I do best
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

mcd's-i like the old salty ones under the warmer, the older the better (oh i am so sick )
i have in my possession a pirate dog, she is rough and ready and has had all manner of silly accidents. you may have read about charlies stick accident, well tounges are really ressiliant. she is missing half of her tounge and she wouldnt know it. she is always biting it by accident (she cant feel it) and she has little holes in it. she often comes to me with blood in her mouth, no biggy. when blood mixes with saliva it looks alot worse than it is, blood this in the saliva so it looks like alot.
when you have a really deep tounge wound it hardly bleeds at all. as chany said the saliva is a natural type of disinfectant and will be nice and clean, dont worry, and if he wants to eat, let him. if it hurts he will tell you.
and amarequ- there have been plenty of times that the dogs should be in pain and arent but this silly little worry wort always could use a little valium or drugs herself to cope with charlies little misadventures, when she had that tounge accident i was in such shock the vet would not let me go home, wanted to send me to hospital i was in such a state. we just cant help worrying for the little buggers, oh i dont think i could handle children (at least they can verbalise theough)
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Brick is the same way!! Took him to the park awhile back when the snow was hard and crusty, he played and played like normal, until I noticed blood on the snow!! He had cut the pads under each one of his nails from the crusty snow. I couldn't believe it...and he wasn't limping or yelping or anything...crazy bugger!!! He falls and slides when he is playing so hard chasing the ball or frisbee, doesn't even phase him!! He doesn't want anything to interrupt his play time!!! He is nuts!!! He slid on my parent's deck when I was out visiting them on Sunday, in the mud, total wipe out, 10/10... he gets up, shakes his body and continues to play!! Once I threw a ball, and he turned to run to get it, he smacked his head (hard) into the tree, which he was standing right beside so he knew it was there!! NUTS I tell ya, that dog is nuts!!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:48 AM

Talking

kash will cut her tounge and mouth trying to empty that kong a little bit quicler by trying to break it or on a stick...and as for total wipe outs with all the fresh grass this spring has brought us and with her being a white dog - grass stains are my problem at the moment - ever seen a white dog with green go faster stripes? - i will have to post pictures next time
Old May 13th, 2004, 09:16 AM

I have two JR's and they chase the lawn mower - it's a huge game for them. They always come in with green legs, and at this time of year BRIGHT green. One also cut her tongue on a long strand of grass, lots of blood, but she didn't seem to notice, and it has healed up on it's own with no problems. I suppose grass cuts in the mouth are like paper cuts to us, and I howl - but she just had a bloody front for a little bit, and went on with her frantic life Nuts - they are all nuts
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

we have a glass back door, well when charlie tries to run out and harass the post lady, often she doesnt see it closed as she is very excited and smack- head first, doesnt care though, to obsessed with the posty, yes absolutly NUTS,. she split her head open once, right down the middle (about 1 yr old at time). i wasnt there so my flatmate just held her head together till the blood dried and left her. i came back a few days later (no one bothered to tell me) and took her to vet who was really surprised that her head was not infected or anything and didnt give stitches, just wrapped it, stupid girl sometimes. she has a little scar from that one, a line down her head, bvut hair has grown back so not so bad., i think the majority of charlies accidents come from breaking problems, moreso when she was pup, she just never stopped in time, she once was chasing flies and near took her eye out on the oven door handle as she couldnt stop and just slid into it. i tell ya, it just makes me wonder sometimes? oh she really is the pirate dog, all scared and ready for adventure bunch of little freaks the lot of them
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:21 AM

Im sure kasha thinks to herself - 'i can see thorugh it therefore i can run through it' best if she tries to bring a great big stick in she has found on a walk...too wide for the door frame - she tries and tries running at the door then runs back off into the garden to hide it for later. staffy's and the brightest sparks i am beginning to find - its worse for poor tazz who gets a whack on the legs everytime she runs past him with a stick!"

oh well st least the house dosnt get full of them!