Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old December 13th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Disapointed in CSI( Lying down with dogs)

Tonight was the first night I have to say I am totally appalled from what I watched.
They were showing dog fighting, and some of the dogs in the ring actually really looked injured.
Scenes of a woman feeding a poodle to a pitbull, Showing how to train a dog to fight. As if we do not have enough stupid people in the world. Now they know how much money they can make.
The woman beating the hell out of a dog, I mean really.
I am so upset....
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:12 PM
-

Are you serious ? Good thing I didn't watch it ! Altough I should if I want to complain to the network ..... maybe that's what will happen. Maybe tomorrow we will hear about the many people who didn't like it. How can they put that on tv ? :sad:
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Rottie owner and lover

My stomach is in knots from watching it.
As if Vick was not enough, now on tv too
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
My stomach is in knots from watching it.
As if Vick was not enough, now on tv too
That's probably why they did it. They always take stories from the news to make the new episodes. But it's usually in "good taste". This one sound discusting.
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
Scenes of a woman feeding a poodle to a pitbull, Showing how to train a dog to fight. As if we do not have enough stupid people in the world. Now they know how much money they can make.
The woman beating the hell out of a dog, I mean really.
I am so upset....
Not only was it horrific to watch, and probably gave a whole new bunch of dumb ass teen boys some really awful ideas, but it was also filled with terrible misinformation that will have an effect on not only on the idiots who will think this sort of thing is a good idea, but on the general public and how they think about dogs from fighting situations and the "breed" as a whole.

Just when pit bulls are maybe gaining a wee bit of ground in terms of how they are depicted (the dog's from the Vick case, for instance, being largely portrayed as victims of the situation, being evaluated for future adoptions, etc.) this has to come along and show the "evil" fighting dogs attacking poodles, kittens, and humans.

This sort of total misrepresentation of dogs in these situations, to suit the story line of a TV show, is just horribly irresponsible, though I doubt they thought of that. I really just wish the whole subject would be left alone already.
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I must have watched a different show. The episode I saw totally placed the blame on the shoulders of the owners, not the dogs and while things were certainly insinuated (or boldly stated), there wasn't much graphic content.

IMHO - most teenage boys who are thinking about doing things like this are out on the street, not sitting at home watching CSI.

Personally, I thought the show did a fairly good job showing people who live comfortable lives in comfortable homes with their labs at their feet what really happens and exactly what it is that Mr. Vick was accused and convicted of.

But that is just my opinion.
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually this show was endorsed by the ASPCA. Both Dr. Randall Lockwood, senior vice president, Anti-Cruelty Initiatives, and Dr. Melinda Merck, forensic veterinarian and the country’s only “animal CSI" advised on the show.

The fight was so staged...it was two dogs playing..nothing like a dog fight at all.

It served a greater purpose. The message itself was strong and very thinnly vieled...dog fighters are scum.

There is a quote: "Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." This brought it into the living rooms of America.

At the end of the show the actor who plays Grisham then did a public service announcement regarding dog fighting.

The message needs to get out and dog fighting has to be discussed and if needed shoved in peoples faces.

I was disappointed when the kid set the dogs on her. I mean really, you set three (or was it four) fighting dogs on her and they attacked her....not each other? I guess the show had some inaccuracies but overall I approve of the message.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/12/prweb576561.htm

Last edited by twodogsandacat; December 13th, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I looked a HRH Missie the poo and burst into tears. What CSI showed tonight was disturbing. We all know dog fighting happens, but this just hit home a little hard for me. :sad:

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
I looked a HRH Missie the poo and burst into tears. What CSI showed tonight was disturbing. We all know dog fighting happens, but this just hit home a little hard for me. :sad:
I held my little guy a little tighter while watching it.

Please understand that they are taking advantage of the Vick conviction to pass on a message... Report dog fighting.
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
I must have watched a different show. The episode I saw totally placed the blame on the shoulders of the owners, not the dogs and while things were certainly insinuated (or boldly stated), there wasn't much graphic content.

IMHO - most teenage boys who are thinking about doing things like this are out on the street, not sitting at home watching CSI.

Personally, I thought the show did a fairly good job showing people who live comfortable lives in comfortable homes with their labs at their feet what really happens and exactly what it is that Mr. Vick was accused and convicted of.

But that is just my opinion.
I think it did put the blame on the shoulders of the people, and now, having not just watched it, I do think there were decent things about it, but there are still some content that I find objectionable.

In the first few scenes when the dog is laying there injured/dieing, I, personally, found pretty horrifying, but I'll admit I'm pretty sensitive

There were more minor things that, although I understand why they put them in there, like the treadmills and what have you, that I just worry will add to the ideas already floating around, like treadmill+pit bull like dog=dog fighter.

What I really had a problem with though, and because it came at the end is probably the thing that stuck with me, was the dogs being released and going at the woman who was killed. It just further collapses dog aggression, animals aggression and human aggression into one thing, which they are not.

I realize there were other thing in the episode that would contradict that idea, but I guess I think what one is likely to come away with, because this is already an idea that many people have in a sort of vague, unthought out way, is that these dogs are just aggressive in a general sense and that will be directed at a person.

Basically, it comes down to not wanting to see anymore images of a pit bulls biting people, in any context, but I don't think people pay attention to details in many cases and this just serves to re-enforce the dominant perception of these dogs.
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

There were moments where I had to flip to another channel so I can't say I saw the really gruesome bits. But I think they did a good job showing the absolute shock and discomfort felt by the CSI team as they realized that the lowlifes they were dealing with considered dog-fighting just another hobby. One character says - paraphrasing - 'it's not illegal to train fighting dogs' and the detective says 'well, it should be'. That was at the end of a scene, quite effective. In my opinion, the dogs were represented as victims, as much as the murdered woman. I'm sure most people - except for the neanderthals out there - saw the horrible truth of it.

Put Vick's letter to the judge, pleading for understanding, up against what you saw. No contest.
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Which CSI was this? We never watch them live but tape them for the next day (both because many of the better shows start at 9 PM when we go to bed, but also the earlier ones to skip the commercials ) If it's last nights' ... Crime Scene in Las Vegas? I'll just erase it! Don't feel like watching even if it's probably staged fights and keetchup, not real fights and blood at all.
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:05 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post

In the first few scenes when the dog is laying there injured/dieing, I, personally, found pretty horrifying, but I'll admit I'm pretty sensitive
haha but you know...dead people and the autopsies aren't horrifying??

I don't know I can't really comment on this episode, I haven't watched it. Ive had the greatest of luck lately to finally find a CSI episode playing halfway through the hour.

but...i want to say that i really appreciate the attention to detail that is put on props on the show. but it's not real...yet looks SO real, that of course it would make one cringe. My mom hates watching the show cos it shows so many dead people and such, but it's just rally good makeup. And animals they use, they'e just really awesomely trained animal actors.
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsandacat View Post
There is a quote: "Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight."
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/12/prweb576561.htm

I didn't watch the show, but that quote is bank on!!
I love it.
Thanks TDAAC!
I'll have to use that on my DH.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I watched it, I cried during the fight and looked away several times. The first thing that came to mind was that Mike Vick did the very same thing only for real and worse, the show showed that it happens all the time, regardless of social standing or gender or wealth, the only difference is that Vick is rich and famous. Scum is scum.

I hated seeing it, but it makes it more real for those sitting on their couch doesn't it?

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM
~Cat Servent~

I have to say I really thought about turning it off last night, but was taping it for hubby and couldn't... and after a good cry, and hugging the kitties a few times I was ready to see that lady get what she deserved (and kinda understand why they depicted the kid letting the dogs at her.... he was traumatized and angry and vengeful, it made sense for the story line). I will never understand how someone can look into the innocent eyes of an animal and abuse their love and trust that way.... never. I think CSI had good intentions here, especially if you followed some of the character Nick's lines... how appaulling it all is that the only ones who face true punishment are the innocent dogs that all get euthanized for being used and abused. It may have opened the eyes of some, and reaffirmed how lax and inadequate the current animal cruelty and abuse laws are. There needs to be more and more jail time handed out... and fines that not only fit the crime but also the offenders.

And although it almost made me sick, the poodle scene was kind of brilliant.... many people who have smaller dogs and brush dog fighting off as something that only affects pits and rotties got a real shocker there.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I actually did not watch it for long and that is usually one of my favourite shows,I just cannot handle it and I too was disappointed in CSI:sad:
If it served to show people the truth about this horror,that's great,I just don't want to watch it staged or not.