Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Couple of cat questions.

Okay I just picked Dexter up from being neutered....everything went well, no problems there.

He has gained a half a pound in two weeks. He was at 8.75 lbs and went to 9.3 lbs. So it says on his records....then they have 9 and a half pounds circled on his chart. Is this weight gain okay? Or should I cut back a bit on his food? He is an eating machine, but he is super super active. Vet said it could be muscle also because he lived in a cage basically his whole life, now he is bouncing around.

Personally I don't trust the vets on food stuff, she said to cut back his food now, he is 8-9 months old , she said now that he is neutered he will gain weight. I thought that was a myth?

He is eating only wet food (Evolve and some Wellness, and a few flavors of Nature's variety) and he gets a bit of real meat with his dinner.

Now my second part of my question is about his vaccinations he got two weeks ago. He recieved his Rhino/Calici/Leuk/Panleuk vaccine, with a booster shot in a months time. They gave him a FULL rabies vacc. I noticed a few days ago he has this huge lump just over his back hip. I thought maybe he hurt himself playing with the dog, or when he gets the super zoomies. The vet said they would check it when he came in for his neuter. It didn't seem to be causing him anypain, he was still extremely mobile and when you touched it he didn't care. Seriously it felt like his hip bone was sticking out.

So I re mentioned it today , and the vet felt it and said it is from his rabies vaccination. He has had it for two weeks, she said if it is still there in the next two weeks when he comes in for his booster shot, she will have to have it tested. I asked tested for what, and she told me not to worry it probably will be gone by then. Is this normal??? It is a hard lump, feels like two bones.......should I be worried and stress that it be looked at now or wait till his next appt?

Thanks in advance!!
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

They will test for cancer if the lump doesn't go away.

I had that scare with Jasper when he got his rabies shot last year and won't vaccinate him again unless I absolutely have to. It took 2 weeks to go away.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Not one of my cats have every gained weight after spaying/neutering. I have a problem with Sweet Pea's weight but that was due to me not being able to cut back on her food intake while she was weaning seven kittens. She has not gained a pound since she was spayed.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Slave to the Kitties

I cant remember a cat of mine not haveing a bump after the rabies shot, unfortunetly. I know there needed for outside cats, but there still scary. :sad:
None of my cats have gotten fat from being fixed either.
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

see my other cat Phoebe got a lump her first rabies shot, but it was a squishy lump , like a blister. It lasted three days and was gone. At that time the vet said it was the stuff they mix the vaccination in with (can't think of the name of it......on the tip of my tongue.....) So he said we would try a different vaccine for her next rabies. I fought up and down that my cats did not need rabies because we lived in an apartment on the fifth floor. So we tried a different kind the next year (he said that by law my cats HAD to be vaccinated) and Phoebe got violently sick. Vet then told me that she could not be vaccinated anymore,

For Dexter, I chose to get the rabies because now I live in a house. I know I have raccoons, skunks, squirrels and foxes in my backyard. They have the possibitily of gaining access into my home, and Dexter has the possiblity of getting out if he bolts out the door.

But this bump is different. It actually feels like two very hard bumps (like hard like bone) that are squished together. It sticks up straight off his back near his hip bone. There is no squishy to it at all.......
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Is it right at the injection site?

Jasper's lump was squishy too. Bunduk got a lump after his vaccination too, can't remember if it was hard or not.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 30th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

None of my guys gained weight after being neutered. I free fed dry Wellness and once a day, they get 1/2 a small can of Natures Balance to share. Coco would like that more of course!! They're both still pretty active for being considered senior cats.
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I honestly don't remember exactly where the injections were given. I do know that she put the two needles in different places near his backside. The vet that checked him today was the same vet who administed the vacc's, so she said "yep I feel it, that's the rabies vacc".

I know the squishy one.....but this is defineitly not squishy. Hard as two rocks under the skin.
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Kitty pimp

i think what happens when strays get taken inside is the habit they have od eatong everything still happens cause they dont know where thier next meal is try feding him smaller portions but a bit more often eventually he will relaise that food will be there
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
i think what happens when strays get taken inside is the habit they have od eatong everything still happens cause they dont know where thier next meal is try feding him smaller portions but a bit more often eventually he will relaise that food will be there
That is the way Sweet Pea is. She was a starving pregnant stray when the HS took her in.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

See Dex wasn't a stray. He was a kitty who nobody wanted, ended up at a pet food store that takes rescues and looks for homes. He was adopted as a kitten, then dumped back at that store because the previous owner was told it was the cat or the husband.

He has lived in a cage since he was a baby, maybe lucky if it was a month and a bit he lived outside that cage, and then was plomped back in the cage until now. Estimate he is 8 to 9 months of age.

He was given high quality kibble, but when he came to my house he went on high quality wet food. He doesn't even touch the kibble now. I have three bowls of wet going on, one for each kitty. In the morning they all eat out of their own bowls, then Dexter has another 5 to 6 smaller meals scattered through the day. He doesn't scarf his food, he doesn't go and clean all three bowls at one time. In the evening he is still looking for food, and I give him another half a can and some real meat. He nibbles at this food all night, but by morning all bowls have been licked clean. I give the other half a can to my other two who may or may not be interested in eating again.

I was just worried that a half a pound in two weeks was a bit much too quick. He was a very very lanky boy when I first got him. He has grown quite a bit too. He's looking more like a cat now that a limp dishrag. I know he is still growing, but I just wanted to know if the amount of weight he put on in that bit of time was too much.

And then the thing about cats get fat after neutering.....well I thought it was a myth, some people say yes, some say no.
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

dch,My Vinnie also had a large longish lump where he was vaccinated and I remember it took a long time to go away,but like the others have said,it was squishy and soft.
that sweet little Dexter is ok and that it will go away
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Wish I could take a pic of it, but my camera is useless for that kind of zoom. The flash would just blur everything out. And we have no sun today, so I can't even hope he would stand infront of a window and catch a pic of the lump on his back.

:sad:I hope everything is good for him too. If it does that is the end of rabies vacc for him. How long do they need to get the other vacc's for?? I know my older two, the vet stopped when they were 9, said they didn't need it anymore. Can my dog track in anything on her feet that would be harmful to Dex if I opted on no more vacc's?
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

When my guys were kittens, and getting their shots and regular kitty check ups, the vet told me that their age should be their weight as they are growing. So when they were 5 months old they'd weight about 5-6 pounds. When they got to their year, their weight would start to sort of regulate.

I'm sure Dex will be okay. Hopefully his bump will go away soon.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

DCH,I don't have the knowledge to answer your question,but we all can bring something in from outside,dogs and humans.
I think the risk is minimal,but that's only my opinion.

I am considering stopping some vaccines myself,but my cats are in the backyard with us every day.
My vet is not pushing vaccines,but is concerned because they go outside,my backyard has all kinds of critters at night
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post
Okay I just picked Dexter up from being neutered....everything went well, no problems there.

He has gained a half a pound in two weeks. He was at 8.75 lbs and went to 9.3 lbs. So it says on his records....then they have 9 and a half pounds circled on his chart. Is this weight gain okay? Or should I cut back a bit on his food? He is an eating machine, but he is super super active. Vet said it could be muscle also because he lived in a cage basically his whole life, now he is bouncing around.

Personally I don't trust the vets on food stuff, she said to cut back his food now, he is 8-9 months old , she said now that he is neutered he will gain weight. I thought that was a myth?

He is eating only wet food (Evolve and some Wellness, and a few flavors of Nature's variety) and he gets a bit of real meat with his dinner.

Now my second part of my question is about his vaccinations he got two weeks ago. He recieved his Rhino/Calici/Leuk/Panleuk vaccine, with a booster shot in a months time. They gave him a FULL rabies vacc. I noticed a few days ago he has this huge lump just over his back hip. I thought maybe he hurt himself playing with the dog, or when he gets the super zoomies. The vet said they would check it when he came in for his neuter. It didn't seem to be causing him anypain, he was still extremely mobile and when you touched it he didn't care. Seriously it felt like his hip bone was sticking out.

So I re mentioned it today , and the vet felt it and said it is from his rabies vaccination. He has had it for two weeks, she said if it is still there in the next two weeks when he comes in for his booster shot, she will have to have it tested. I asked tested for what, and she told me not to worry it probably will be gone by then. Is this normal??? It is a hard lump, feels like two bones.......should I be worried and stress that it be looked at now or wait till his next appt?

Thanks in advance!!
I was told by the lady who was mirabelle and O'Shawnnessey's foster mom to watch how much I fed them after they got fixed because cats seemed to gain weight after being fixed. I figured she would know cause she had 17 cats in the house and had been fostering cats for many years. So when I see the cats getting a little plump; where I can no longer see an indentation where their waist line should be, (this is standing above them looking down at them) then I just cut back a tiny bit on their food. So if u can still see Dexter's waist line, then he isn't too fat. And seeing the skin fold doesn't count.

When Willie was given his first shots he had a hard lump. We waited for a few weeks and we finally had a biopsy done. The vet thought it was just from the shots, but me being a cat virgin I was scared, as we have lost a few dogs from cancer. But everything was fine. So when Mirabelle and OS got their shots they had lumps too but I knew what it was this time and it went away pretty soon.

So I think Dexter's lump is from the shot, as Willie's lump was very hard too. Not too worry.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Well he still has his lump, but I think it is getting smaller. I keep massaging it, and my fingers think it is getting smaller, doesn't seem as high as it was. We have a appointment in just under two weeks, so we shall see what the vet says.

As for weight, I am just worried about him becoming a chubby kitty. Now that I know different, I would like to start him out on the right track. I can't believe how long and tall he is, when he sits he towers over Amos, and Amos is a big kitty.

On a side note I am happy to say that Amos is losing weight!!!
I use to have to feed him kibble daily (he is a kibble junkie, I tried and tried to ween him off it, but no go). Now I have to fill his bowl every three days, he is more into the wet food, eating a half a can and that is it. I think the kibble eating was a boredom thing, now he is up and moving with the new kitty. I have watched him eat his kibble, he eats maybe 5 small kibbles then walks away, Dexter has taken over the dog, so she doesn't even bother with the two old cats, so they come down more often and play.

I am bringing Amos to the vet this week to make sure he is not losing too fast, and he has a funky rash on his back. But I think a flea may have made it into the house and he got bit. He has a horrible reaction to flea bites. Even with extreme vigalance those little bugs make it in

So Dex is still an eating machine, he is now back to the bouncy zooming kitty he was before his neuter. I honestly don't think he sleeps. So we shall see in a bit how much, if any weight he has put on at our next vet visit..and go from there I guess
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

DCH.it took quiet a while for Vinnies lump to go away,but I know how you feel,I think we all have this kind of hysterical,fear with any lumps
I am constantly checking my guys for anything strange
If Dexter is very active not gaining to rapidly,I would not bother cutting his food intake.
My Vinnie is over-weight at 17 1/2lb's,he is a large cat,but should be about 15 lb's.
My problem with him is,he always sneaks and finishes the others dishes.
Well,no more,I have to be vigilant and watch him.
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

DCH, Willie was a dry food junkie too, but since "the kids" came last September and I found this forum I have slowly weaned him off his dry food and he has lost weight.It took about 6 months but it worked. All he gets is wet food now and this morning I tried chopping up some chicken in really tiny pieces and putting it in his wet food again, and he actually ate most of it. (He doesn't bite his food so he is still having trouble with real meat.)

So I would tell ya just keep trying to get Amos off the dry stuff. He will get use to the wet stuff, it will just take him a while.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)