Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 1st, 2009, 10:26 PM

I cant believe what I saw today at a pet store

I was in a pet store today to buy green grass for my cats. I saw the guy who works there holding a mice upside down for its tail and he dropped it in an aquarium. I went to see closely what is happening. I saw a big frog was swallowing the mice and its head was still sticking of the frogs mouth. The mice was alive and was trying to escape. I got so sick to my stomach and sad I started yelling at the guy asking how can they do that. He said its a part of the food chain. I was so mad I started crying and left. I cried 1 more hour and I couldn't stop. This made me so weak at the moment. I really wish I had a power and put that guy in an aquarium in a snake's tank . I hate pet stores. I really want all the pet stores to be banned. I am so mad I hate all the pet stores owners and all the puppy mills owners ..

Last edited by Monkas; February 1st, 2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:29 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

That is indeed a very sad situation.

Can you not buy grass for your cats at a pet supply store? If people do not shop for anything in those stores then they will go out of business. (I know....it's a dream but it would be a start!!!)
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
That is indeed a very sad situation.

Can you not buy grass for your cats at a pet supply store? If people do not shop for anything in those stores then they will go out of business. (I know....it's a dream but it would be a start!!!)
i will never ever buy anything from a pet store. I always buy my cats food at the vets or seldom at iga, maxi... i probabbly had bought something in a pet store 2-3 times before. but that was it never anymore..
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Well. If this giy is so into "the natural order of things" I would have let every animal in the petstore out of its cage and said " Animals belong in the wild, not a aquarium or a cage" ..... Stupid A**..

Its unfortunate that pets such as snakes, frogs and others NEED mice to survive. BUT there are better ways of going about it. Feeding live mice is not only cruel for the poor mouse, but dangerous for the frog. Because trust me, mice fight back! I personally had about 15 mice at once, because a neighbor was breeding them for feeder mice, But me being me,managed to guilt him into feeding frozen mice that have been humanly(well as humane as killing can get) killed, to be fed.

That guy probably gets a thrill from watching the frog eat the mouse. There are sick people in this world. I hope he comes back in the next life as a live feeder mouse. So he can feel the stress and anxiety that , that mouse had in his last moments.

Stuff like this really hits close to home, and is very upsetting.

R.I.P poor mousey:sad:

My babies will show you around mousey heaven
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'm a softy

oh ick.. So sorry you had to see that! I too do not shop at stores that sell animals.. and that is silly.. the mice should be gassed, frozen and then fed.. no excuse.. it is not part of the food chain when the frog did not have to catch it, and a man grabbed the mouse and gave it to him! that is so not survival of the fittest! ACTUALLY if you ask me.. I don't think frogs have a place as pets period. I actually don't like any of those spectator pets, that are actually wild animals. but that is jmo....
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

A frogs normal prey is NOT mice!!! they eat insects and worms, fish fry, and other smaller frogs and tadpoles (aquatic life). SO this guy is an idiot and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about!!
He just a sadistic pig, who enjoys watching little creatures suffer.
That' why I only buy my pet food at pet value, they don't sell any "live" things at all, they do however adopt out some unwanted neighbourhood pet's.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
A frogs normal prey is NOT mice!!! they eat insects and worms, fish fry, and other smaller frogs and tadpoles (aquatic life).
Errppp wrong.

Sorry to burst everyones bubble but there are frogs that eat MICE. Infact where I work our store pet is a frog that eats mice! His name is Oscar and he is a pacman frog.

I am a vegetarian and an animal lover but I'm sorry there are critters that eat other critters. Oscar eats goldfish as well but too many goldfish can make him sick by having toxins build up in him or something. Otherwise he eats pinkies or fuzzies.

My last snake died after being attacked by a mouse but you guys got to be serious now.. I mean in nature it's not always pretty.

Unless you all are vegetarians (or vegans even better yet) there is no excuse to be flipping out over a frog eating a mouse..

Mice generally are completely stupid and have no idea what's going on. They will turn on each other given the chance.

I'm saying this with a crippled mouse in my room right now I saved from the feeder tank. He got trapped under the foodbowl somehow and his little friends squashed him and now he's all bent out of shape and pretty much retarded. He's adorable though. But he's a rare gem.. most mice are completely self centered and could care less about life.

I get feeder rats, mice, crickets and worms out of the bins at work and I don't have a problem with it. Some animals can be fed frozen like my snake but others can't.

You just have to see both sides of the story. I personally have seen every side of this story and can make a judgement that getting all crazy over a mouse getting fed to a frog is ridiculous. no offense !!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Errppp wrong.

Sorry to burst everyones bubble but there are frogs that eat MICE. Infact where I work our store pet is a frog that eats mice! His name is Oscar and he is a pacman frog.

I am a vegetarian and an animal lover but I'm sorry there are critters that eat other critters. Oscar eats goldfish as well but too many goldfish can make him sick by having toxins build up in him or something. Otherwise he eats pinkies or fuzzies.

My last snake died after being attacked by a mouse but you guys got to be serious now.. I mean in nature it's not always pretty.

Unless you all are vegetarians (or vegans even better yet) there is no excuse to be flipping out over a frog eating a mouse..

Mice generally are completely stupid and have no idea what's going on. They will turn on each other given the chance.

I'm saying this with a crippled mouse in my room right now I saved from the feeder tank. He got trapped under the foodbowl somehow and his little friends squashed him and now he's all bent out of shape and pretty much retarded. He's adorable though. But he's a rare gem.. most mice are completely self centered and could care less about life.

I get feeder rats, mice, crickets and worms out of the bins at work and I don't have a problem with it. Some animals can be fed frozen like my snake but others can't.

You just have to see both sides of the story. I personally have seen every side of this story and can make a judgement that getting all crazy over a mouse getting fed to a frog is ridiculous. no offense !!
I almost lost my Ball Python 20 years ago because he would not eat. I took him to a friend who specialized in this problem. He needed fresh food and had to be fed by force. Harley came home a changed snake, he ate great.

Kathyrn, I'm with you on this. The food chain still exist. I have even neutered pet mouses and then went home to feed a mouse to a pet snake.

It's a "get real" life. I will fight with my life for those that need, mostly wearing fur.
For all others, get a reality check up.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM

I don't know what the pet food stores' policies are for feeding live animals, but doing it in front of the public is not a good idea. Probably better to feed already dead animals would be more favorable for the customers to see. And especially since a lot of young children often go visit the pet store.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Errppp wrong.

I am sorry. What kind of an animal lover feeds pacmans and snakes with animals that are live? It is a natural thing if the snake is in the nature and she catches the mice itself. It is not a natural thing if your snake or frog is in an aquarium and you throw the mice in there. Natural thing is if your snake is in the nature. You are interfering in this whole nature. I really got mad at your post. And why do we have to reproduce snakes ??? so that snakes eat more mice and rats? Like this idiot from Bulgaria who feeds his snake not only with rats and mice but 2 month old kittens and puppies. I am against reproduction of reptiles in unnatural places. I am not even sure how can u work in a pet store.. i hope all pet stores go bancrupt

PS mices are not stupid and if you go to a pet mice forum you will see every mice has a different personality and people get attached to them.

Last edited by Monkas; February 3rd, 2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
I almost lost my Ball Python 20 years ago because he would not eat. I took him to a friend who specialized in this problem. He needed fresh food and had to be fed by force. Harley came home a changed snake, he ate great.

Kathyrn, I'm with you on this. The food chain still exist. I have even neutered pet mouses and then went home to feed a mouse to a pet snake.

It's a "get real" life. I will fight with my life for those that need, mostly wearing fur.
For all others, get a reality check up.
You could let your snake in the nature if you worried about it? She was probably depressed being in a tank. There are so many crazy people aI will not even bother.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Skylar's Farm

There are incredibly adorable smart little mice in the world....we have a field mouse who is hiding in the wall of our old farmhouse. Once in a while he comes out and I set a live trap, but it's not a big deal. We "live and let live".
Those dumb @ss pet shops should do the live feeding after hours....some of us are not into live feeding in captivity. Yuk.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Animal Lover

He could have at least done it where customers couldn't see. What if there was a little child in there.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

ERRRP wrong again my friend. Mice are very intelligent creatures, and they do indeed know exactly what is going on. Im accually appauled that you would say that, since you speand time around mice one would think you would know that.

A mouse will fight to the death, and those little things can really fight.

As an animal lover, i would think you would find feeding a live animal to another as cruel..

Mice get stressed. And when it is backed into a corner of a aquarium to get eaten, you can see how stressed they get.

Its also unfiar to the snake/frog etc. Because they can get hurt by that "stupid " little mouse that doesnt know whats going on

Snakes can thrive on frozen mice. As can frogs.

Quote:
I have seen all sides of the story as well. And I too can make the judgment. That eerybody has a right to get worked up over a live animal, with feelings and a sense of whats going on, is getting fed to a frog, in front of other people.

Yes, i beleive that some frogs and snakes ect. Need mice to survive. Just like dog or a cat needs other animal to survive. BUt would you take a live cow and wait for your dog to kill it before it gets eaten? No.

A mouse should be humanly killed before getting eaten...
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
I can think of many humans that fit this description as well . Shall we feed them live to the crocodiles too?

I feed our dogs raw meat...that doesn't mean I'm going to go to the pet shop and buy live rabbits to feed them with although it would be much cheaper .

Monkas, there are many pet supply stores that don't sell animals in Montreal and surrounding areas. You can pm me and I'll give you a list of places that are safe to shop at.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
ERRRP wrong again my friend. Mice are very intelligent creatures, and they do indeed know exactly what is going on. Im accually appauled that you would say that, since you speand time around mice one would think you would know that.

A mouse will fight to the death, and those little things can really fight.

As an animal lover, i would think you would find feeding a live animal to another as cruel..

Mice get stressed. And when it is backed into a corner of a aquarium to get eaten, you can see how stressed they get.

Its also unfiar to the snake/frog etc. Because they can get hurt by that "stupid " little mouse that doesnt know whats going on

Snakes can thrive on frozen mice. As can frogs.

I have seen all sides of the story as well. And I too can make the judgment. That eerybody has a right to get worked up over a live animal, with feelings and a sense of whats going on, is getting fed to a frog, in front of other people.

Yes, i beleive that some frogs and snakes ect. Need mice to survive. Just like dog or a cat needs other animal to survive. BUt would you take a live cow and wait for your dog to kill it before it gets eaten? No.

A mouse should be humanly killed before getting eaten...
I agree with you babymomma. You must be really selfish to think that mice dont have feelings and when they are tortured it does not hurt.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

ERRRRRPPPPPP

read. http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/c...ornedfrog.html

did you read "pre killed" and "can be fed" ?? It doesn't say MUST be fed mice!!

A pacman frog will eat anything that fits in it's mouth.

As for the "reality check" yeah I think I know the "circle of life" thing, but IMO it's not good customer service to feed live animals to other animals in front of your customers!
Also IMO these creature belong in the wild, not in pet stores to be sold for profit, cause I don't think pet stores are part of "the circle of life" .....unless you consider selling living creatures for profit part of the circle of life....

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Monkas,it reminds of an episode in a South Carolina Park.
Hubby and I heard this squeaking sound coming from a trash-can,it was a snake with a frog half-way in to his mouth crying desperately.
Hubby being french.LOL. tried to save the frog,but was very upset when he could not.

There was no need for this jerk in the pet-shop to this in front of people,I would have been equally upset.
We all know about the nature of things and that it is not pretty,that does not mean I like to watch another living creature being eaten alive,no matter what it is.
This man probably took great pleasure in making such an impact on you
There are plenty of Pet-Supply stores that do not sell animals,we don't even have a "pet-store"here where I live,the last one was closed down several yrs ago.

Last edited by chico2; February 3rd, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I can think of many humans that fit this description as well . Shall we feed them live to the crocodiles too?

I feed our dogs raw meat...that doesn't mean I'm going to go to the pet shop and buy live rabbits to feed them with although it would be much cheaper .

Monkas, there are many pet supply stores that don't sell animals in Montreal and surrounding areas. You can pm me and I'll give you a list of places that are safe to shop at.
LOL good post LP!

Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I would just like to point out that I think there is a differaance between a true animal lover and a dog/cat/cat/bunny lover. Because a Animal lover, doesnt support the needless suffering of ANY animal, be it a mouse, or a dog. Feeding a live animal to a domesticated snake, is needless suffering to the mouse.

People are quick to point out that an animal eating another animal is just "the circle of life" or what ever. But is keeping a snake in an aquarium "the circle of life" ? Or taking a domesticated mouse in your hand, and placing it in the tank, where it has NO chance of survival, natural? Maybe if you set the snake/frog free in your back yard and set the mouse free also, i could see where it was fair. (Accually i wouldnt but, just tryingto prove a point.) ..
So saying its a fact of life, is almost a useless argument.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:39 PM

We have two snakes a boa and a king snake, now we did not go looking to get them. The kingsnake was going to be killed as the store couldn't seem to sell him as he's blind in one eye, also he's a very angry boy. We tried but he's just cranky. At first we couldn't get him to eat pre-killed, I hated it. I ended up with my first pet mouse because the snake wasn't as hungry as we thought he was.

The mouse was just little so I mothered him so to speak and let me tell you he was the smartest most affectionate mouse I had ever seen. Whenever I walked in the room he was in and said "Timmy" he'd come running out of where ever he was sleeping or hiding in his cage, crawl up the bars and wait for me to open the cage. Hope on my had and wait for his cuddles. He loved haveing his little chin rubbed and the side of his face, he'd roll over like a dog in my hand and even his little back leg would wiggle like when you find that ticklish spot on your dog. He knew his name it wasn't just the sound of my voice as he'd respond to anyone who said his name.

So mice are not stupid, just becasue an animal is small doesn't make them dumb.

We eventualy got the King snake(Ben) to eat pre-killed, thank goodness, and it didn't take very long. There are a few ways of makeing a dead mouse more appealing to your snake/frog/reptile.

Our boa was a rescue that we got from a friend of a friend that could no longer care for him as his wife just got a puppy and was afraid the snake would one day escape and eat the dog....typical, the snake is not and will never be big enough to do so, considering the size of the dog they got(she's currently 7ft). She is the friendliest and most affectionate snake I have ever met. Loves to have her chin and the sides of her face rubbed and has only ever been fed pre-killed.

Again I would never choose a snake as a pet but they ended up in our lives and we have a responsibilty to them.

The place we get our mice and rats from gasses them and then freezes them. Some places do it differently and not in a nice way(not that killing anything is nice). So if you have a pet that needs to eat mice/rats always research the place you get them from.

Getting frozen feeders prevents torturing them as dumping a live one in an enclosure is unfair, the critter doesn't have a fighting chance like it would in the wild. Your snake(or whatever) can be seriously injured or even killed, even if you supervise the feeding things can happen quickly. Also being frozen any parasites a mice/rat may have will have likely been killed off preventing what your feeding from catching anything. If you read any good reptile books it will say the same thing.

Well that's my long winded two cents. I am by no means an expert on anything but I do try to learn what I can about the animals that end up in my life.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
I'm a softy

I agree with you babymomma!! As I said before a wild animal trapped in an aquarium, so people can "enjoy" it is not part of the "circle" of life, and neither is a huge man grabbing a defensless mouse, and throwing it into its death.. My daughter just had a mouse, poor thing so cute, was GOING to be fed to a snake! ICK, and it made a wonderful, SMART little pet!

i will NEVER support a store that makes money off selling animals, animals of ANY kind! Supporting them in anyway, even to make a non animal purchase just feeds the problem, I will not be a part of that.

I completely disagree 100% with snakes, and other wild animals and reptiles being kept as pets. If you agree with the circle of life, then set it free to catch it's own food, and let nature decide who should survive, the mouse, or the frog... If anyone INSISTS on having these animals as pets than the least they can do is make sure feeding them is humane. I know that I could never ever feed a poor mouse to another animal... I don't even understand those that can.. but this is just my opinion... I get why we have domestic animals as pets. but why have these wild reptiles for pets? The animal is NOT getting anything out of the relationship, they are being kept just for the humans sake.. If I am wrong, and a frog is actually happy in an aquarium, and loves its human family.. let me know...
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
I would just like to point out that I think there is a differaance between a true animal lover and a dog/cat/cat/bunny lover. Because a Animal lover, doesnt support the needless suffering of ANY animal, be it a mouse, or a dog. Feeding a live animal to a domesticated snake, is needless suffering to the mouse.

Amen to that sister!!

Hi my name is "Happycats" and I am an animal lover!

Somtimes on this board, I feel like I'm admitting to be alcoholic or something to say I love all animals

Sorry, but I was born this way, and there isn't anything anyone can do or say to change me........thankfully many others on this board make me feel proud to be an animal lover!

Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

LML- my mice were supposed to be feeder mice too

but they were so full of personality, i cant beleive anybody would have been able to kill them

i loved them
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
Amen to that sister!!

Hi my name is "Happycats" and I am an animal lover!

Somtimes on this board, I feel like I'm admitting to be alcoholic or something to say I love all animals

Sorry, but I was born this way, and there isn't anything anyone can do or say to change me........thankfully many others on this board make me feel proud to be an animal lover!
Same here. I was always the little kid who would pick up carpenters or ants and bring them outside rather then kill them And Im proud of it.

I may go to the extreme sometimes. Because i am infuriated when i see people walking around wearing a dead animal I wanna throw red paint on them. No offense to anybody here who wears fur. But it makes me sick.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Same here. I was always the little kid who would pick up carpenters or ants and bring them outside rather then kill them And Im proud of it.

I may go to the extreme sometimes. Because i am infuriated when i see people walking around wearing a dead animal I wanna throw red paint on them. No offense to anybody here who wears fur. But it makes me sick.

me too , I used to drive my family nuts when I was young, I brought home every living thing that needed saving! injured birds, cats, dogs, mice, frogs snakes, my brother brought home and injured muskrat once, we nursed it back to health and released it in the spring .

I still stop for turtles on the road and put them in a safer place, (with snapping turtles I just scare them off the road ) I also scare other living things off the road too, including snakes, deer, dogs, cats, and at night, racoons, skunks and porcupines

We rescued an injured snake, and fed him ground meat (chicken, turkey, liver) mixed with some eggs, we would make little meatballs,warm it up a little, put it on the end of a little stick and wave it in front of the snake. he would eat it every time.......so I don't know why people feel they MUST feed live animals???

What can I say I love em all

Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:

oh my god babymomma. I agree 100% with you. I always save antz and bugs also. Everything has the right to live.
When i see this f... ladies with dead animals i want to poke their eyes and torture them. i hate them. it makes me so sad and i often cry at home:sad:
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkas View Post
oh my god babymomma. I agree 100% with you. I always save antz and bugs also. Everything has the right to live.
When i see this f... ladies with dead animals i want to poke their eyes and torture them. i hate them. it makes me so sad and i often cry at home:sad:
Well. I wouldnt go so far as to torture them, As they are also animals (Even though humans are my least favorite of all animals, Most humans anyways). But i do beleive that alot of these people, think it makes them look `rich` Or sophisticated it some way BUt they dont realize that alot of people accually think less of them when they wear those things.

IF we were still living "Back in the day" When we needed animal fur to survive the winter, and couldnt go to a store and pick up a warm coat or parka I could understand it a little better. But right now, in this day and age. There is no need for it.

What I really hate about where i live. Is that during this season (Rabbit huntin season) people have these stands made and set out by the side of the road with bunnies hug up by their feet. It makes me very angry and sad and disgusted all at once. I certanly dont like seeing dead animals for sale on the side of the road, can you imagine how a child feels when they see it?

Sorry MOnkas, I am gone off topic.

The point is, mice have a right to live without the stress of being flung into a cage to die. Mice aren't dumb, They are very intelligent creaures with minds of their own. snakes anf frogs still need to eat, but there are alternatives. And placing a domesticated mouse into a cage/aquarium with a domesticaed snake/frog, is NOT natural.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

when i had my ball python she wouldn't eat frozen only live,and i tried to get her to eat frozen.no matter how long i tried to keep feeding here frozen it got to the point where she got under weight.so i started live feeding.she was my pet and i wasn't going to let her die.even my firebelly toads will only eat live crickets,meal worms and they will eat pinkies but won't feed them won't eat anything unless it's moving my green anoles are the same way.some just won't eat unless it alive and moving.my buddies ball python would eat frozen but his boa wouldn't.

Last edited by angeldogs; February 3rd, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
cat slave

Quote:

agreed!!!