Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 8th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

GRRRR! Is it legal to use sleeping DARTS?

Yes, it is 2:45 AM!!!

My little "sweeties" have decided it is fun to sit and pick the cupboard doors open and laugh when they slam shut...as a team. No, they don't go IN, they just pick at the doors. I have put quieting stubs on the doors and that has hepled...until the little buggers started picking them off! I have tried the spray water thing...I just get four big round eyes following me back to the bedroom! I have now used duct tape to close ALL the cupboard doors...yes, even the top ones...let's see them get THAT off!!! MUHAHAHAHA!

Yes, I DELIBERATELY said "I would like two please so they can amuse themselves when I am at work"...um, I AM NOT AT WORK AT 2:00 AM!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old February 8th, 2009, 05:01 AM

but at least they are amusing themselves
I can laugh because my Duffy also does that to get my attention super early in the am when she's hungry

All I can say is at least they aren't yeowling at the top of their lungs waiting for you to come find them & their mousie-toy present caught especially for you at 3:30am & don't stop until you actually get up to praise the mighty huntress. And Oh! since you're up you might as well feed me

You can buy the magnetic metal door latches from any hardware store, screw one part to the cupboard door and the other to the frame. I've put them on one of my lower cupboard doors & it's strong enough hold that Duffy can't open it. No guarentee the two of them can't open it though, then again they might just move on to other more noisy doors like hinged closet doors

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

That's what cats do soooo well. Playtime is always in the middle of the night. I have to keep Gabby and Squeak in the basement at night so they can romp around down there all they want and not wake up DH, the dogs and me. Mookie wants no part of it, she stays on the second floor in peace without the other two.
They have couches and chairs and a whack of their toys down there. Gabby seems to have more fun taking socks out of the laundry room and scattering them all around down there though.

Cindy
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks for my morning laugh!! I love it!! I am in the middle of taking Tinka off the top of the flatscreen TV for the millionth time this morning. She climbs it to get to the birdcage. I sometimes get Mylee waking me up by chewing on my toes. Oh, the joys of being owned by kitties!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I knew I would find kindered souls here!

So, it is now 8:20 AM and I was awaken by Messina JUMPING on my feet! I must have screamed a bit cuz when I opened my eyes, she was sitting there staring at me like I had sprouted a second head with one great big purple eye in the middle of it!

It was funny (yes, haha )...Messina finally came and layed down in her cat house...we were both sleeping, then this mewing sound came from no where...turned out Seth was sitting by himself in the middle of the living room mewing...I went back to bed and we both ignored him...he jumped on the bed and started screaming like he was in pain!!! He wasn't...he was just a man being ignored.

It must be the weather change...or the moon.

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
It must be the weather change...or the moon.

Yeeeesssss, let's blame it on that.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM
-

The only way I find this funny is that ... same thing at my house but I'm a really sound sleeper I know there's always kitty parties here at night while I and the dogs are sleeping , some mornings I get up to found the house upside down , like a tornado hit it !

Do you have ear plugs ? Maybe that would help ?
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I tried the child locks, but my cupboards are so crappy I couldn't put them on. I had to block the bathroom cabinet with my sewing machine.

I feel for you, I really do. Luckily mine have all been sleeping through most of the night with me. I've been trying to keep them all up until bed time, I think it's helping.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Been there.... LOL I put on baby locks and old LP cases in front of some of them too.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:56 PM

Ugh i konw how you feel. I had the same problem. I got the internally locking child safety latches... The ones you mount on the inside of the door. They work really well. I couldn't even open them half the time. My kitten likes to try to sleep on your face. I would rather the cupboards banging then choking on a face full of kitten fur.
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

The duct tape seems to have worked!

Now, they chase each other through the cushions on the back of the sofa and loveseat! When I go into the living room in the morning, the cushions are laying EVERWHERE! You should hear the racket...I ran out there last night thinking a wall fell in or something and no, of course, four big round eyes just staring at me!

I poured myself a bevy, went back to bed closing the door most of the way...they followed me, pushed the door open to see what mom had they didn't have and then left when they found out it was just apple juice, not beef inards mushed with pig nose!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:02 AM

hehe most cats can't stand a closed or partially closed door & they always need to know what you've got

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 10th, 2009, 02:15 AM
cat slave

HAHAHAH too funny!

please refer to this post right here
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60597

my cat can open cupboards and closet doors too I think it's a great skill.
Old February 10th, 2009, 02:16 AM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
and then left when they found out it was just apple juice, not beef inards mushed with pig nose!
hmm yeah...i would've left too
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:52 AM

Oh I feel your pain. We had to put the baby locks on the doors as Forest would open them and help himself. Then he discovered that if he tapped any cords that ran down a wall mummy would come running for fear he was eating them. Now it's loud meowing until he decides it's not working. Then it's sit behind my pillow almost on my head and purr as loud as he can right in my ear, or pull my hair, oh and he's not graceful at all when he jumps up or walks on you. He also likes to leave a puddle of drool on my pillow, I suppose it could be worse...he could be gassy. Stixx gets him going and once he's all ready for a play fest she goes back to sleep leaving him hanging...she's such a tease.