Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 29th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Advanced kidney disease - when is it time...

My dog, Pooka, is 18 and a loving companion. He was diagnosed as having advanced kidney disease a few months ago and the vet said at the time that we were looking at weeks, not months, and should prepare ourselves for making the decision to put him to sleep. Pooka has been hanging on. What I don't know is whether he is gettting worse and suffering. I don't want to say 'goodbye' prematurally, but I don't know how to tell. His sister had pancreatic cancer last year and that was much easier as she was in such horrid pain. Pooka just seems to become more and more fatigued. So... this is what I am seeing this week. Is this indicative of decline? He has been having tremors that move through his body like a wave. He has started snorting (like he has asthma) trying to get a breath. This is accompanied by quite aggressive lip smacking/licking. (I saw this kindof thing in his sister who had epilepsy and would do this after a seizure). He is so tired some days that he gets off his bed, walks two feet and goes to sleep again. But then other days he acts like a puppy. Is this what one might see as his condition worsens? Or is this just par for the course when it comes to kidney disease and not something to fret over? When is it time?
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm sorry you're going through this with Pooka. It's always hard and we never have enough time with our furbabies. Even 18 years isn't long enough. :sad:

We've had to make this decision a number of times. Usually we knew when it was time--the dogs would tell us. Sometimes it isn't so cut and dried, though. You've just got to listen to that little voice inside that tells you when it's time...that any further delay would spare your feelings but not benefit Pooka.

Make the decision with love and Pooka's best interests at heart and the decision won't be a wrong one. Pooka knows he's loved, and that's what he'll take with him when he goes. 18 years of shared love builds a powerful bond that can't be broken, even by death. So when the time comes, know that he and his sister will be waiting for you at the Bridge.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and Pooka

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Albert's mommy

Pooka I am truly sorry you and your furbaby are going through this. As a pet parent of a dog with kidney disease, I can truly comprehend.

I don't want to put your hopes up..but I must ask..how far is this disease? I only ask because when my dog was diagnosed over a year ago I was told the same thing...to prepare for him to go, the disease was too advanced. He was very lethargic, smacked his lips a lot..I went and got a third opinion and found out he wasn't knocking on death's door just yet..I started reading up on the disease and got informed. The disease kept progressing for several months. I made some drastic changes to his care, found a new vet and I can say here we are over a year later and we are ok! He is alert, energetic and happy. I changed his diet, added vitamins and the only 'medical' treatment he gets is IV fluids once a week. We live with this disease everyday and I know that one day he will be gone, sooner than he should. but I enjoy every second with him, and focus on giving him the best life possible, for whatever time we have left together...days, months or years..that is all we can give them..seems like nothing compared to all that they give us, right? :sad:

Again, please pardon me but I just want to make sure that you truly have all the information in front of you.

did the vet not offer any treatments? change in diet? fluids? massage? ace inhibitors?

I know this message was posted almost a month ago. I truly that your darling dog is still with you, or if he's gone, that he is at peace.