Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 17th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Unhappy What else am I to do?

The on-going saga of my new (3 mnth old) Wendel continues.... He is constantly plugged up, even with doses of lactulose. He has had 4 enemas now in the month that I've had him. Anyways, I have noticed he is getting plugged again now. He tries to go, but only a 1/2" long piece just kind of hangs out, not falls off. I have to break it off/pull it out by hand. Obviously this is uncomfortable for him. Lately, he has decided that he now wants to pee everywhere but in his litter box. For example I noticed him peeing on my hardwood floor in the living room this morning. So upon cleaning that up and putting him is his box I noticed he had gone there more than once.

I seem to be able to find a balance to get his bowels working good with the lactulose (4x daily works). However...how many enemas is this little guy going to have to have? I am pretty confident I can get him using his box, but I can't take a chance and end up having my other cat Tucker (5 months old) start to not use his box.

I am almost at the point where I don't know if I want to deal with it anymore. It would be tough to get rid of him not only on me, my fiancee and her little girl (5 yr old), but probably also on my other cat Tucker. I just don't know what to do anymore.
Old August 17th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Acupuncture? The principles are the same as for people, to restore energy flow and to stimulate, which, figuratively speaking, is exactly what your cat needs. Might be worth a conversation with someone knowledgeable about such things.

http://www.jazzpurr.org/Winter444.html#acupuncture

http://www.avac.ca/site-eng.html
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Your kitten MAY be peeing on the floor because he now associates the litterbox with pain and discomfort due to his problem.

You need to find out exactly what the problem is - if it is megacolon or not - and just what the prognosis is.
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Is there a test that would determine if it is megacolon? Also, have you ever had, or know of those who have had, experiences with Cisipride (sp?). This is some sort of motility drug that might work as well.