Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
I'm a softy

OYE!!! An EGG HELP ME!

This morning I saw what we thought was our male blue budgie all fluffed up sitting funny in the cage, I looked closer and 'he?' had his tail up in the air I looked behind 'him' and there is an EGG!! OYE! OK I am not a budgie expert.. We have had these budgies for 2 and a half years.. Both budgies have been going near the egg, I don't know who it belongs to.. The other budgie is white, and today the thingy on top of her beak looks darker, does that mean something?? Usually it is very pale, and now it looks almost red... I will post some pics, i took a bunch but they did not turn out.

What do I do?? If they are both female obviously it wont be fertile, Would it be normal for a male budgie to be tending to the egg? What was he doing if it is not his? They had a little nest but they ripped it apart, I have put some stuff in the cage today for them to use, but what do I need to give them? When I find out whose egg it is should I separate them? Do I just leave them alone seen as it probably is not going to be fertile?

I cannot believe there is an egg in the cage..... oye!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
-

I know absolutely nothing about birds so hopefully someone else will come along soon to help you out ......good luck.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
-

I found some information here ....

http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=27250
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

We used to have budgies in saudi arabia and they had babies according to my mom though I dont remember.

My friend in the UAE has budgies and they had babies alll the time! she started off with 2 ended up with 15 at last count. They mostly just do their own thing.

I dont think theres anything to worry about? Just let them do their thing...

I know that certain birds (like lovebirds) get pretty stressed out if they want to nest and you dont let them. Resort to feather plucking and all that (had lovebirds before and the one bird plucked all its feathers out till we got it a nest).

Sometimes it is hard to tell the female/male budgie if the colour above the beaks is too pale. Can you post a pic? Maybe our more bird experienced members can help you.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That little section of tissue around the nostrils (the ceres) will be bluish in males, tan or pinkish in females. Females can and do lay eggs even without the presence of a male (although a mixed-gender pair will usually result in more frequent nesting ).

Of course, if you have two fems, the egg(s) won't hatch. I think they will eventually lose interest in it if that's the case.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Skylar's Farm

Directly above the bird's beak are the nares (nostrils) surrounded by the cere.
During breeding season, especially in spring, the cere will be bluish or mauve on a male bird, and beige or brown on a female.
If both birds are female, then leave them sit on the egg for 2 weeks and they should either give up or you can take the egg out.
If both birds are opposite sexes, the egg could be fertile.....things can get complicated.

Most pet shops sell plastic or wood budgie breeding boxes. Budgies hate nests.
If you end up doing the box thing, post again, and I will have lots more info for you.
(Parents can end up fighting and killing off babies in certain cases)

In the meantime, make sure that the birds have a good protein rich diet, to accomodate the extra stress on their bodies by producing eggs.
Their are good vitamins such as Prime, that can be sprinkled on lettuce, carrots, etc.
I also used to boil or poach an egg and mix it up with a bit of whole wheat bread crumbs and flaked wheat germ, and serve a bit of that twice a day.
Watch out that it doesn't spoil or rot.....Good Luck.