Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old April 10th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Pet Guardian

Question Supplement for cat w/ IBS?

I have a kitty who has what I call Irritable Bowel Syndrome. He gets NASTY diarrhea if he eats anything other than what he's eating right now (Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach). He's also a bit overweight, so I've been mixing in some of the Hills Light, and have had pretty good success at keeping his weight under control as well as keeping his bm's in good shape.
However, there seems to be something lacking in this food, or perhaps that he's not absorbing well from this food, because his coat is in kinda gross shape. He's got flaky skin, sheds more than I think is necessary, and it's not as shiny as it used to be. He does like to be brushed, and I do that on a fairly regular basis, but that doesn't seem to help. So I want to see if I can supplement something into his diet that won't make his poops get gross, but will help his coat. Suggestions? Either a vitamin, a treat, a home-made something... I'll try anything at least once.
Thanks in advance!
Melissa
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:37 PM

My sister had a kitten with IBS cancer and he had to get put on a special diet by the vet. Have you taken your kitty to the vet to see if it is IBS for sure? Cats with IBS can't get the nutrients they need from the food so they have to be on a special diet. I would say take you kitty to the vet to see what is the exact cause. My sister's kitten had the same symptoms and she didn't catch it in time. He was only 1 years old and passed away due to the problem. Please take you kitty in. Let me know how eveything goes.

Cathy

.................................................. .................................................. ....

My Kitties

Lily Mae - 12 years old ( calico)

Jingles - 1 1/2 years old ( red and silver tabby) :queen:

White Sox - 11 month old ( Siamese mix)

Sylvester - 11 moths old (Siamese mix)

Petry - 11 months old ( Siamese mix)
Old April 29th, 2005, 08:08 PM

We use Slippery Elm Bark. You can get it at the health food store or Loblaws. It's a capsule but you can break it open and put in the cat's food. It's sweet.
We gave it to our last dog who had Colitis and I swear by it. They also use it in people who have IBS and Colitis. The vet was amazed at the difference. We gave it to him for a few weeks and then only when he had flareups. It's completely natural and no side effects. You can look up different sites for it on the internet. It was a breeder who originally told me about it and I would be lost without it. Appparently it soothes the insides and stops inflammation.
I was giving the dog's ( 80 lbs) three in the morning and three at night.
I would still take your vet to the vet first though to make sure that's what she has just so it won't be covering up anything.
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Me too! My cat has had lousydigestion/constipation forever and slippery elm has really helped him. I put a pinch in a snall amount of tepid water and syringe it into his mouth. And you're right, zero toxicity.
Old December 7th, 2005, 11:59 PM

Try something other than Science Diet

i work in a pet store and am extrememly familiar with the ingredients that are in different foods. i would suggest something other than science diet. science diet isnt the best food on the market...contrary to what every other person on the planet thinks. one of the main ingredients is corn. corn is a filler. does absoluetly nothing for the animal. it just makes them feel full and is cheap to use so they put it in the food. beet pulp is another filler. avoid this. and what the heck is by-product??? its whatever they dont use in the animal. beak, feet, nails....all the gross things.

my kitten has IBS as well. he is on prednisone pills and i am feeding him Natural Balance Venison and Pea formula and he has finally stopped puking!!!!! i also mix with his dry food some wysong rabbit canned food. there is nothing but rabbit meat in the canned food.

i would bet money that the reason your cats coat looks bad is from the science diet. flaky skin and dull coat is something i see everyday in the customers that come into the store. its the ingredients in the science diet that are to blame. try the food i am feeding my kitty....hopefully you can find it where you live!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmelissa
I have a kitty who has what I call Irritable Bowel Syndrome. He gets NASTY diarrhea if he eats anything other than what he's eating right now (Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach). He's also a bit overweight, so I've been mixing in some of the Hills Light, and have had pretty good success at keeping his weight under control as well as keeping his bm's in good shape.
However, there seems to be something lacking in this food, or perhaps that he's not absorbing well from this food, because his coat is in kinda gross shape. He's got flaky skin, sheds more than I think is necessary, and it's not as shiny as it used to be. He does like to be brushed, and I do that on a fairly regular basis, but that doesn't seem to help. So I want to see if I can supplement something into his diet that won't make his poops get gross, but will help his coat. Suggestions? Either a vitamin, a treat, a home-made something... I'll try anything at least once.
Thanks in advance!
Melissa
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:47 AM

My cat Cera had the same thing as a kitten and any food we gave her caused her to have the runs. I found a wonderful book called The New Natural Cat, by Anitra Frazier, it is still in print, try chapters.indigo for the best price. I used the raw-food diet recommended and it cleared it right up. We fed the cats the raw food right up until our oldest started crawling around. Then we switched gradually over to a prepared natral food and the runs haven't been back. Science diet isn't the best cat food in the world. We have the cats on it because Lucas has FUS and it needs to be controlled through diet and the SD is what's available here. If I could be sure that my kids weren't handling the food I would go back to raw again. They are still at the stage where they might test the food for the kitties. They help feed them as well.
The slippery elm is also recommended as well as chlorophyll, this can be in the form of a greens drink powder sprinkled on the food, my mom's cat liked spirulina on his food. Or there are drops available at health food stores but the powder is the most economical way to go.
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM

made transition from hills i/d

My boy also had a vomiting and diarrhea bout the vet had him on hills i/d

do you know about the limited ingredient natural balance duck and pea
my maine coon 7 month is doing great on it and his coat is shining