Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 31st, 2003, 03:12 AM

No Poop???

Hi my Name is Paula and I have a 1 year old Min Pin Named Max. Here is my situation on Sunday Morning when we got up Max had gone inside the house which he hasn't done in a while he also vomited on our bed that same morning. After the poop in here he didn't go the rest of the day. He ate normally, he acted normally. on monday still no poop in more than 24 hours. So I call the Vet he told me to give him laxitone and add prune juice to his food. So I did that and on Tuesday he went at about 3pm a good amount of poopy. Now today NOTHING just urine he goes pee everytime we take him out. He is still acting like the happy dog we have always had still begging to play still eating. What are symptoms of an intestinal blockage? Would he go at all if he had an intestinal blockage? What does everyone think??

Thanks in Advance,
Paula & Max

PS the only day he vomited was sunday and we think it is because he got into the cat food.
Old July 31st, 2003, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

If he had a blockage, he'd probably be in some pain...you can also try listening to his tummy with your ear right up to it, within an hour of eating. If he's all blocked up, you likely won't hear much gurgling - that's just a rough indicator though. With a blockage he might have some diarrhea and might be vomiting too. But pain or a tender or distended stomach would probably be present. Maybe another dose of laxitone - is that the same as mineral oil? Mineral oil works wonders too.

If this was my dog, I think I'd run him by the vet, who can palpate and listen to his innards. I did have a dog who got blocked up with a little sponge and she was in a lot of pain. Poor thing needed surgery to remove it. But she was in very poor shape, watery diarrhea, vomiting, didn't want to eat or move around much.

Do Minpins bloat? If his stomach is distended at all, that might be another thing - but that usually involves intense pain and is an emergency situation, so that's likley not it.

I say a trip to the vet is in order! Good luck.
Old July 31st, 2003, 10:23 AM

THanks

Thanks you so much Carina, I called the vet this morning and he pooped this mrning a good one too sorry if this is gross. Vet told me if he wasn't in pain and he just had a bowel movement no need to bring him in but he still wanted me to keep a poopy diary. I started to think it might be that we just changed him from Puppy to adult food and this is why he might be constipated.
Attached Images

Old July 31st, 2003, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

He's so cute!
Adult food has less fat & protein, that could well be the reason. Small breeds seem to be a bit more finicky about foods..
Glad he's had a nice poop. Having dogs is kind of like having little kids...one can get obsessed with poop sometimes!
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:19 PM

thanks so much

I guess I was obssessing alittle but I watch emergency Vets so I am a little hypocondriac when it comes to my pets. But I am also glad to say that today Max has gone twice!!!! WOOHOOO!!! I have never been so glad to see poop in my life.