Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 3rd, 2003, 08:24 AM

Noisy kitty

My long hair, female, calico talks... alot! She sits outside my door at night and meows and cries until I either let her in or go out there and pet her for awhile. Sometimes she makes random strange noises during the day too. She needs a lot of attention.
My friend said that calicos are more needy than other cats. Is this true? She is a little less than a year old and has not been fixed yet. Will her noises calm down after she's been fixed? Is it possible that with age she will become more independent?
Old March 5th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Cat Lover Member

Yes, they do calm down considerably after being spayed.

It sounds like she just wants attention, most kittens are very needy in their first year. It's understandable considering they are being taken away from the mother at such a young age.

I don't know alot about Calico cats, so I don't know if they are MORE needy than regular cats..but I can imagine that they are all just about the same.

Don't worry, after you get her spayed (and please do!) she WILL calm down and be more independent as she grows older. Just give her lots of love until then.
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a 9 yr. old torty who is also very talkative...always has been!! She makes very strange noises and I've discovered that it is her way of trying to find me. She never does it when I'm in the room, usually at night when she is out in the living room and I'm in bed.

My problem is my 6 yr. old boy (neutered) who is ten times more talkative than the other one. At night, he will come into the room and do laps around the bed and TALK!! The laps over our heads wouldn't be so bad if he was quiet!! I've tried keeping him out of the room, but he just cries and cries; I've tried squirting him with water every time he cries, but he is starting to like it now. We are losing sleep because of him and we want it to stop. Any ideas??
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Talking

I need help with my cat. He constantly meows. He's got that siamese
meow & drives us crazy. He's 13 yrs. old, ( neutered). Had a female
main coon cat put down last year,he always put the run on her.
She was very sick with diabetes. This is when he started being so noisy.
I don't know if he misses her or it's something else. He eats & plays &
has no problem going to the bathroom. The more I tell him to shut up
the more he meows. Sometimes I feel like throwing him out the window.
Does anyone know what might be the problem? or how to shut him up.
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Tangerine, unspayed cats are in heat more or less all the time. She should calm down and be quieter after you have her spayed.
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor

LR is right.

I have a Calico and she is pretty quiet...But she came into heat the week of her spaying...And she drove us crazy.But after her spay,quiet as a mouse,except for feeding time.....
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:00 PM
banned user

I have a Maine Coon and she is the loudest noisest cat you ever heard. I will get on the phone and people will go "What the heck is that!!!!?????" Oh it's just my cat....Their going OMG!!!!!!!

Sunny has always been noisy...all will be lol! If she were human she would be the biggest meanest biker babe you ever saw!

Brandy being deaf has a very funny sort of chirp? I would say. But she never really makes noise.

I like noise. It's when their quiet you worry
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Lol at Amaruq!! That sounds like our house!! When things get quiet its time to go checking!
Old May 14th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
LR is right.

I have a Calico and she is pretty quiet...But she came into heat the week of her spaying...And she drove us crazy.But after her spay,quiet as a mouse,except for feeding time.....
Mine was exactly like that - except for the quiet after spay part (maybe quieter.. but not quiet ) (calico too... strange)... Peanut is vocal whenever she wants something, food, loving, to chase the birds she watches through the window... then there's the "ok I'm done; stop petting me now" scream... usually followed by a bite... and "ouch" by me, promptly following by the dog chasing the cat away to rescue me - closely followed by the dog yelping because the cat retaliated.... ok now I'm rambling.. LOL SO Yeah, our place gets a little noisy too Maybe it's a calico cat thing....hummmm

To the OP... yes fixing her will stop some of the chatter.. but may not quiet her all together.
Old May 15th, 2004, 11:26 PM

Hahahaha i'm glad i'm not alone in this situation!!!

I thought that I was the only one who had a chatty cat for a minute there!!! Good to know i am not alone on this one!

I've got a 2.4year old spayed tabby and she doesn't shut up!!!

I got her from the humane society about 4months ago and she was like this from the beginning. She wasn't spayed and i thought she'd be quiet after the operation....well she was.....for the first 3days!!!!!

I'm sort of getting used to it now. Still trying to teach her obedience but to be honest i don't think it's ever going to change!!! She has major attention seeking problems!!!

She will be sound asleep...or so you think, so you get up and leave the room and within 30seconds she's meowing and looking through the house for you. I don't know how she does it!!! No matter how quiet you are before and after you leave the room she'll know you're gone!! She's quite happy when someone is around, but absolutely hates being alone!!!