Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 2nd, 2005, 01:53 PM

5-month old puppy eats plants

My puppy won't stop eating my plants. I've moved them as high as I can but she can still reach one palm tree. I've found bitter apple doesn't work very well on them, and reprimanding her isn't working very well either.

Other than throwing them out, any suggestions?
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:12 PM

My dog still does this even though she is over a year now. The only thing I've found temporily that helps is spraying white vinegar on the plant. But then I got fed up with it and just moved the plant out of the way. Hope you find something that helps. If so, maybe you could post it as I would be interested.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

teach LEAVE IT. when your pup is going for the palm plant, have a treat handy, and lure the pup away - saying LEAVE IT - then treat. practice alot.

some other options:
squirt gun or water bottle... give a squirt when the puppy is chewing on the palm. Don't leave the pup unattended around the palm. Also, you could temporarily gate the palm - with something like a fireplace screen (one of those large screens to keep kids a safe distance from a fireplace or woodstove).
Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:24 PM
BLIND DOGS RULE!

Puppies eating plants

Boy... that could be dangerous you know.
Unless you know for sure that none of your plants are poisonous, and almost most are for dogs, it would probably be best to put your plants where your puppy has no access to them.

I've known at least 5 puppies in my lifetime that died from chewing innocently on plants. Not worth the risk in my view.

You can easily replace plants later on down the road, or take them out of hiding once puppy gets a little older.

Cheers and best of luck
MM

Visit Us Online At:
http://www.chowpei.net]Visit Us Online

Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Sadly, my place is a plant-free zone. :sad: Despite great effort, Layla has not lost her love for them. It's not even the plants she likes, so much as the dirt in the pot (which she likes to spread around my entire condo, and then roll in) My parents used to send me nice potted plants each month, and they would only last a week or two before getting destroyed....
Good luck
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:01 PM
owned by Tucker

I put the poisonous ones where they can't reach them, Tucker and one of my cats are bad for getting into plants, chewing the plant, eating the leaves and so on. It is better to be out of the way and safe, than have a sick or dead pet.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyluv
Sadly, my place is a plant-free zone. :sad: It's not even the plants she likes, so much as the dirt in the pot (which she likes to spread around my entire condo, and then roll in)
That's so funny. I'm just imagining coming home and seeing the dirt spread through the entire condo. Almost like the time Jesse toilet-papered the house, just not as easy to clean up! But you know she did spaghetti the house once. I didn't have a chance to put all the groceries away one day and left 3 boxes of spaghetti on the counter. Well apparently Jesse liked the sound of the box shaking and she grabbed each box, ran around the house shaking it until it shook no more -- which means the box broke and the spaghetti went flying. Every once in a while we will still find a piece of pasta in a strange place!

Jesse has been pretty good with plants, it's the flowers I plant in the spring she has fun with. I planted a ton of marigolds this year because I knew they were pretty easy to take care of and I needed simplicity this year. Well, the heads on the flowers didn't last long because Jesse would pull the heads off -- leaving the plant part fully in tact -- and start throwing them around the yard. Then she'd pick it up and throw it again, and so on. She wouldn't eat it, just throw it. Of course I would stop her right away, Jim thought it was funny and would let her do it, which is why I ended up with about 4 left for the summer out of 96! At least she had fun.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 11:00 PM

LOL I have two doggies who don't care for plants and I don't have any plants because I don't either. Ok, I have one. But it's dying. Maybe it goes with the owner- if the owner cares, the doggy cares. It's like the pile of dirt you creat with the broom? You know how they always walk though it because there is a spotlight of attention on that pile. You know?