Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:25 PM

Question Cat Growing & Hissing at My Other Cats?

Hey, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask, but I haven't really found information elsewhere.

I've had my cat Bianca for about 5 years now and she's been alone for the most part since December of 2010. Lately she's taken to growling and hissing at my other two cats even when they simply walk past her.

She was throwing up for a while after I got my first cat, but I assumed it was her diet and made changes. After I got my third cat I asked the vet about her puking and the vet suggested I use a shallow bowl and maybe switch foods. I did that and recently she hasn't been throwing up, but I still wasn't sure if the behavior was due to the extreme change and stress.

She growls at them when they try to play with her, though I'll be the first to admit that they do tend to chase her around a lot, and now she's taken to growling at either of them if they so much as walk close to her.

She used to be very friendly with me, laying on my shoulder a lot and even sleeping on my pillow above my head, but now she barely comes by me. I'm not sure if it's because one of the others are by me or if she's simply gotten sick of the other two and blames me for bringing them here.

It tears my heart up to even consider giving her up for adoption, but at the same time I feel selfish for wanting to keep her despite her unhappiness. Do you think it's just a faze? She does have attitude problems every so often and she hasn't been growling or hissing at me.

I wanted to get another person's opinion before I took a dramatic step in taking her to the humane society, but I want to keep her best interest in mind at the same time. She's declawed (though she has never displayed any of this behavior before) and she's fixed, so she's not pregnant or anything.

I hope I'm just overreacting, but I can't shake the feeling that Bianca just doesn't like living with other cats... Thanks in advance, if you have any questions just let me know!

Tags
behavioral problems, cats, growling, hissing