Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Arthritis

My 11 yr old Lab is starting to really slow down on walks. Both knee's have had surgery for ligament repair. I currently give her 1000mg of Glucosamine,Chondroitin & MSM along with a dose of Metacam (non-steroidal anti inflammatory). I was wondering if any one has found a "miracle drug" that they have had great results with. She also gets daily massages (she's a big suck) from either myself or wife. Just wondering what others do and if I am doing enough for her.

Thanx
J
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sigh....a miracle drug would be great, wouldn't it?

Sounds like you're doing about all you can. You might want to talk to the vet about tweaking the meds. Some of our dogs have had great results with NSAIDs (control the pain and reduce some of the inflammation that can spur the arthritic changes), but NSAIDs can be hard on the tummy and the kidney/liver.

How is her weight? Keeping her on the low side of normal weight can really take the pressure off the joints and give her more energy. So if she can safely shed a few pounds, you might want to see if you can make that happen!

for your sweet girl!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I would agree that it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Along with keeping her at a lean weight, make sure that she's not allowed to jump on and off furniture or in and out of vehicles. Jumping really jars the joints.

Out of curiousity, what type of repair was done for the ligaments?
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaDawson View Post
I currently give her 1000mg of Glucosamine,Chondroitin & MSM along with a dose of Metacam (non-steroidal anti inflammatory).
Are you giving her that glucosamine/chondroitin/msm just once a day? If so, I don't think it is enough ......my 95 lb lab gets two tabs that strength twice a day.

Also a good website to check out is ....

http://www.dogaware.com/arthritis.html

If you click on the information highlighted in blue it elaborates further.
Old August 5th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Ask your vet about Cartrophen Vet Injections years ago my Dal x Lab had arthritis in his hips & spine, we went with the Cartrophen plus treatment by a certified Animal Physiotherapist both worked wonders for him.

Is there a pool or river nearby you can take her for swimming? Swimming is a great non-weight bearing/no strain strengthening excercise

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Hi DekaDawson as said, you seem to be doing everything for your Lab I have a 100 lb pup with pretty bad arthritis and give her 2000 mg X 2 daily of Glu/Chon/MSM like Rainbow. On worse days I also give her bufferin 500 mg which seems to help.

I can relate it's very hard keeping their weight down when it's hard for them to move around but I found as Growler pointed out swimming *miracle drug* sheds the weight and it's so relaxing for sore bones. My girl swims daily in the river and it seems to really help

re Cartrophen Injections & Dog Aware dot com thanks for both links, very interesting reading

for your girl