Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 14th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

OCD - Just in case anyone else is dealing with it too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRzUXoZ6Izs

Here is Sophie. She came to me from another chapter and her foster mom called me within 2 days in tears. She didn't know what to do and what was going on. Even though I already had a foster I had no choice...she came to my house. She has some very serious issues. Had the behaviorist over and she was shocked. Maybe its neurological she said. Took her to the vet and tried some anti stress med. They did nothing. Still I had faith....it had to be behavioral. She would stop for a treat sometimes. She was perfectly fine sometimes. She would sometimes fly into a rage and bite too. I did not want to put her down. She was too cute and she was only one. I am at least her 4th home in her short life. This is how damaging it can be to a dogs psyche to constantly reject them.

Its actually amazing to me the kind of dogs I get. I always get the ones no one can deal with. I think each one teaches me a great deal about forgiveness, trust, patience and the power of love. She has been here 4 months. I have formally adopted her as she is unadoptable by anyone else and quite dangerous. She is doing amazing. Interruption and redirection are the only thing that works. She needs definite routine too.

Its really funny that 1 month later I had another family contact me for help displaying the exact same symptoms. If I wouldn't have taken Sophie I wouldn't have known what to do. Everything happens for a reason. She is so amazing and so sweet most of the time now and we have learned coping methods to deal with her rages and she trusts me 100%. Humbling.
Old September 14th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Sometimes it is just plain hardwork and research to find a solution. Glad you hung in there because it would be a shame to have to PTS because of human failures. I have had people tell me the same thing about Clark he has aggression issues which are getting a little better I know he is fixable. I hate that people buy a dog with no research about the dog they are getting and that is part of the problem. If you go in armed with info a lot of these behaviours could be avoided. I am glad it has worked out for you and Sophie.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:02 PM

That video is so sad, I give you tons of credit for having the patience to try to help her. She deserves to be given a chance by a caring person, instead of giving up on her like so many would. She is lucky to have found you.
Old September 25th, 2010, 11:04 AM

Thank you for taking this poor dog. I watched the video, and it sounds like a painful yelp to me. I'd suggest a second vet opinion. Sometimes things are missed, such as a fibrosis or a "cold in the tail." The affected dog is miserable at the onset and the tail is painful. If neither the dog owner nor the veterinarian is familiar with this condition, it can be disturbing--fostering conjecture on a possible fracture or spinal cord disease. Apparently, common in Beagles. It would also explain the sudden changes in emotion, and sudden biting, as she's in intermittent pain. I've also heard the same behaviour in dogs with psychomotor epilepsy.

Bottom line, I'd suggest taking her for a more thorough exam, blood work etc at U of G for example. Give her a BIG HUG for me, and TKS again for taking her into your care.
Old September 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

She did have a full work up as soon as I got her. Her tail is not painful to her as we play with it when she is not in her trance state. She has other signs of OCD such as patterned running and rhythmic barking. I have video if that as well, but it's on my iPhone and YouTube doesn't like it. She has had a full vet workup including blood and urine as she will need them for insurance. My vet is extremely thorough and is just as certain as the behaviourist is that it is OCD. She also responds now to distraction and redirection which she wouldn't if it was her tail. She is in perfect health otherwise. I'm just glad he found her way to me. She is the sweetest little thing and so funny. She has taught me a lot too.
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM

I hope you didn't take offence to my post we3beagles That video just tore my heart apart, and I was trying to help her in any way I could. I'm confident that you're doing all you can for her, she's so very lucky to have such a caring Mom

As you're well aware, on these boards, sometimes owners don't take the time to research their furbabies ailments, and aren't are responsible as you have been. to you and your furbabies, please know I'll keep you all in my heart and prayers, sending you serenity and love Please know my post was coming from a good place in my heart and THANK YOU for dealing with all this frustration. She's so lucky to have you!
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

Definitly no offence taken. Its so nice that people on this board care enough to make suggestions like that and are looking out for dogs best interest. The sound is heart breaking, but she is not in physical pain. She is happy, jumping, humping puppy when she is not in this state or the trance like patterned running. This is now the second beagle I have seen with these exact symptoms, but I will be careful to look for other symptoms as well in the future when trying to help other people deal with OCD. The common denominator seems to be major living shuffles in early years. Sophie is only 1 and I am her 4th home. The other beagle I was mentioning was on his 3rd. It seems to be a coping method to deal with the emotional trauma of being constantly rejected.