Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM

Severe Itching

My dog has recently started itching. It is bothering her very badly. I feel a little helpless because I don't know what to do for her.

Initially she had a small red rash on the inside of her back legs and I thought that could be causing it, but the rash has gone away now and she is still very irritated. The worst spots are on her back and hind area. There is no irritated skin, but she won't let anyone even touch it unless they will scratch the area. She has started gnawing at her paws constantly and rolls around on the floor while whimpering.

I have given her two oatmeal baths over the last four days and children's benedryl at night time. The baths seem to be doing nothing but soothing her while she is actually in the water and the benedryl just puts her to sleep. I thought after the initial rash went away the itching would stop too, but it seems to be getting worse. I don't know what to do. At first I thought it might be a grass or plant allergy considering the rash, but I'm starting to think it might be something in the air.

If anyone has any suggestions or have dealt with this before with their own dogs I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

I also don't know it this is a factor or not, but she seems to be shedding much more than usual since this has started and her diet hasn't changed at all.

Last edited by ashlee73; August 1st, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM

This sounds very familiar as my dog started like yours, it started with a small rash on the inside of his back legs and being very ictchy and scratching.
Not being able to get to the bottom of it, i had a rast test done and it turned out to be allergies to numerous things.
my friend also had a similar prob with her bitch and it turned out to be anal gland probs which can cause itching and scratching.

Hope you can get to the bottom of this, as i know it can be very distressing for you and your dog , it could also be a food allergy or something in the enviroment as my dog turned out to be allergic to all red meats, dust mites, perfume, diary products, wool and plastics please pm me if you want any additional advice, my dogs doing really well now with management of his allergies .
'God turns clouds inside out to make fluffy beds for the dogs in dogs heaven,and when they are tired from running around and barking, the dogs find a cloud bed for sleeping, god watches over each one of them and there are no bad dreams'.
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM

Look back to when it started. What had she just had - new food? new medicine? recent vaccine? new carpet shampooed? If you really can't see anything there, then I suggest it's the food. There are a lot of toxins in commercial pet food and the skin is the main area where dogs (and everyone else) tries to eliminate the toxins.
Go for a raw diet and make sure that you include raw liver and sunflower oil in the diet. Converting to a raw diet can make matters worse for a few days - worse skin, some vomiting, some diarrhoea. HANG IN THERE! This is a clearing reaction and is beneficial. And generally only lasts a few days, depending on the past food and the age of the dog. Despite these symptoms, in practically all cases, your dog is happier in him/herself, showing you you're going in the right direction.

No self promotion please
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you had your dog to a vet yet to be evaluated for mange or dermatitis, ashlee? If it does turn out to be a food allergy, your vet might also have some good suggestions for controlling it.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:05 PM
Doggie Wench

I agree with Hazel...this is definitely something your vet should take a look at.

Although I advocate raw feeding (or feeding high quality kibble), a change in diet, if necessary, is something you may want to consider later...right now, a vet is what your dog needs.

your dog gets some relief soon.
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:34 PM
-

I also agree with Hazel and LP .....your dog needs to be seen by a vet first.

Just out of curiousity ....what are you feeding her?

Don't put her on any of the brands available at the vet as there are much better foods out there. After she's been to the vet to rule out any skin diseases we will be able to give advice with her diet.