Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 24th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Red face URGENT 3 week old kitten mom gone how can I help it??

I have a 3 week old kitten. Mom left yesterday and has not returned. How will i feed it and what can I feed it. Eyes are open and the beginnings of teeth. Should I give her pablem or soft canned food. Please help urgent.
Lisa
Parkhill, Ontario
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

You need to go to the vet and get a pet nursing bottle, and some kitten milk replacer (KMR) forumula.

In a week or two, you can start introducing it to kitten food.
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Thank you

I will do that immediatly. Thank you is there anything I should watch for in the kitten.
lisa
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

At 3 weeks old, you may still have to stimulate the kitten after it eats to help it urinate and defecate.

The mother does this by licking it's bottom and belly. Take a cotton ball slightly moistened with warm water, and gently stroke the lower belly going towards it's bum until it goes. Make sure it doesn't have diarrhea, cause teeny kittens can get very dehydrated quickly. If the kitten gets lethargic or has no appetite, take it to the vet. Little kittens can fade and die very rapidly.

The vet will tell you how often to feed it. Also, if the kitten has fleas they will need to be removed.

It's very important to keep the kitten warm and make sure there are no drafts on it. The mother would clean the kitten too, so take a barely moistened washcloth and stroke the kitten all over. Make sure it's completely dry afterwards.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:22 PM

Hey!

When you start giving the kitten kitten food, (about 4 weeks, start offering it), put a bit of food in a dish, fill the dish with water, and wait until the food is soft and mushy. You may have to put the food in the kitten's mouth at first until he realizes what to do. We had four week old kittens who we were planning to put on solid soaked food the following week. One got really lethargic and was basically just flopping about (an hour after he'd been fine). We brought him to the vet, and because he was only on formula, his sugar was low. You honestly only have a two or three hour window to save these little guys in if this happens. Anyway, all the vet does is give them a sugar supplement and they wake up right away, so go to the vet immediately if this happens! But, in my opinion, try offering food softened pretty soon. As well, our kittens needed more than their tummies rubbed to stimulate them - you actually have to use wet toilet paper, etc. on their bottoms. And then place them in the litter box. Hope this helps.