Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 13th, 2011, 10:14 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Thanks folks for sharing your stories. It does this weary heart good to see how much a lot of people truly care for their pets by getting them spayed early before this disease hits. I wonder what the percentage would be for pyometra if more people left spaying till it was too late. I'm so very glad spaying seems to be catching on.
I've never heard of a pyometra being "treated" with antibiotics for long term, maybe to hold over for a few days until a spay can be done... but that's like trying to re attach an arm with a band-aid.. it's not really going to cut it. Any responsible veterinarian would recommend immediately spaying if the animal was healthy enough for surgery... and even if not healthy enough you still kind of have to do it anyways

There is just SO much pus and infection involved with a pyometra it just is not practical to think you can just give a dog or cat a few pills and everything will be okay. If ANY other un-necessary organ was infected would we even be having this discussion?!??!?! I mean, when people have their appendix burst or whatever, do you just send them home with a few pills and tell them to wait and see? NO, you rush in and get that taken care of. Why is it SOO much different with a uterus??? Clearly dogs and cats live JUST fine without them... why try to save an organ you don't even need?

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:19 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hey kiddo, cool your jets!!! I'm with you on this!!! But I understand what you mean.
Earlier on in this thread hazel said one of her dogs contracted pyo and was put on a course of meds until her spay date arrived. Now I believe she said the vet didn't realize the dog had pyo but still - all the info I found said spay and a course of meds.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:24 PM
You can call me DOG!

Just popping in to say that I have been following this thread and OMD!!! I have found it so informative with everyone's knowledge. While I don't think I'll ever experience a situation such as pyometra personally, this has been a well informed educated subject to add to this forum.

Kathryn; the graphics you have shared are a real eye opener for anyone who has ever contemplated about getting their pets spayed--

14+ I was squinting at your new avatar and trying to read it. It looks interesting but, it's too small for my near sightedness.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
14+ I was squinting at your new avatar and trying to read it. It looks interesting but, it's too small for my near sightedness.
It says - Dick, Dick's dog, Dick's dog's puppies. And underneath - don't be a Dick spay/neuter your pet. I love it!! I "borrowed" it from a very good friend of mine - Chris.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:32 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
It says - Dick, Dick's dog, Dick's dog's puppies. And underneath - don't be a Dick spay/neuter your pet. I love it!! I "borrowed" it from a very good friend of mine - Chris.
Right on! Thanks 14+, I'm not ready for cheaters yet!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:53 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Hey kiddo, cool your jets!!! I'm with you on this!!! But I understand what you mean.
Earlier on in this thread hazel said one of her dogs contracted pyo and was put on a course of meds until her spay date arrived. Now I believe she said the vet didn't realize the dog had pyo but still - all the info I found said spay and a course of meds.
Haha sorry, I really should probably just go to bed. I had SUCH a stressful day... and it's one of those days where everything seems better then out of nowhere BAM! I had to take down my FB page because I guess someone was mad at me and put a link to my page up somewhere it didn't belong so I was getting bombarded with friend requests and messages and ugh it was just too much to deal with people harassing me. hehe.

Yeah I mean alot of vets will put a cat or dog on antibiotics for a few days before they can get to the surgery but it doesn't actually treat the pyo from what I've been told from the vets, it's just to try and keep them from going septic from when the bacteria starts to go back into their bloodstream.. it doesn't actually do much to correct the pyo, just to keep it from getting any worse. Does that make sense?

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:05 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Yeah I mean alot of vets will put a cat or dog on antibiotics for a few days before they can get to the surgery but it doesn't actually treat the pyo from what I've been told from the vets, it's just to try and keep them from going septic from when the bacteria starts to go back into their bloodstream.. it doesn't actually do much to correct the pyo, just to keep it from getting any worse. Does that make sense?
It makes perfect sense. I would think most vets would do something like that. Especially if they aren't sure what they are dealing with at first. It's possible some vets aren't positive what they are looking at, especially with a closed pyometra, so put the dog on antibiotics to help fight whatever infection they feel the dog may have. The antibiotics most likely help to keep the infection at bay but does not deal with it completely. Like a dog that is suspected of having it, getting pregnant/bred which in some cases does hold it off (if it's not too far advanced), and facing a greatly increased possibility of a repeat performance during the next heat cycle. It's a vicious cycle.

Last edited by 14+kitties; May 14th, 2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Holy Moley! Bad Grammar! Going to get a visit from the spelling police!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
150% PRO S/N

I am borrowing this from our good Dr Lee. It is valuable information to have in order to aid any members in making a determination which could cost your dog/cat her life.

Determining if a dog/cat has pyometra...........

Abdominal palpation and CBC are helpful but not the best methods to diagnose pyometra. If the uterus can be felt on palpation, then I wouldn't consider it "mildly enlarged." Furthermore CBCs can be elevated for many reasons. Also for several reasons, life threatening infections, including pyometra, can be present with a "normal" CBC.

In general, no pyometra is a good antibiotic candidate. They are typically only surgical candidates.

For non-infectious ovarian/uterine problems, false pregnancy or inflammation can be present.

If the pet has not been bred/with a male, then the dog cannot be pregnant. If you are not sure, the best method to evaluate is an ultrasound - not only can you see the fetuses but can also ensure that the puppies are alive. It is also the most straighforward method to look for pyometra.

There are also two types of pyometra - "open" and "closed" pyometra. Open pyometras have an open cervix which allows fluid to drip out. CLosed or partially closed pyometras will have little to no discharge. Thus the amount/frequency/presence of discharge is NOT a good method to evaluate pyometra. In fact, a pyometra with little to no discharge can be MORE dangerous then one that does because the pus has no where to go. Any type of pyometra is considered life threatening.

When pyometra is a concern, you need to get a diagnosis and if the disease is confirmed, then surgery should be performed right away.

Tags
pus, pyometra, secretion