Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 16th, 2018, 04:46 AM

Unhappy Cat with urinary problems

Hello all!
My name is Maria and I have 2 lovely stray cats that we adopted 4 years ago, when they were very small kittens.
Last summer, the male had some trouble going to the litter box so immediately took him to the vet because we knew how serious blockages could be... They catheterised him and did some urinary tests and an ecography but no stones could be noticed, everything seemed clean. We took him home but there was no improvement so we took him to another vet...They did urinary tests,ecography, radiography, blood work, you name it, and everything seemed fine. There was no stones, no sand, very little bacteria. We have since, in almost 7 months, we visited many many vets, left him at the vet 3 times for 5-6 days so he could stay with the catether in and have IV s, we gave him antibiotics, antiinflamatores, we have basically tried aeverything, with no result. The PH in his urine is usualy good(around 6), only once was 7.
The diagnostic was idiopathic cystitis. His symptoms include: peeing outside the litter box, crying while peeing(it takes a lot of time for he to pee too) and incontinence (not all the time, but there are days...)
The last time he was at the vet they told us that his bladder is very small and the lining of the bladder is very hardened because he is been having these problems for so long, but they also said that there could be a narrowing at the begining of his urethra since the catheter entered quite difficult....After we took him home, for two weeks or so he was feeling really good (still taking a lot to pee) but no incontinence and no crying while peeing....But after 2 weeks the problems reappeared.
I know you will al be asking about food... he ate a 100% premium canned cat food since he was a kitten. Around the time when the problems began we switched them on a grain free kibble for a few months (2-3) (don't ask me why...). Ever since the problems started, all the vets of course recommended us dietary food (Royal Canin, Hills c/d) but i hate giving it to him since I don't like the ingredients and he doesn't seem to be drinking water while on dry food. I gave him the prescription food for a couple of months but switched him back on canned lately since there was no difference in his behaviour from the prescription diet food...
The solution the vets see is a Perineal urethrostomy ... but i have my doubts since i believe is a problem with his bladder ...
I have taken matters into my own hands and need some advice. I don't want to operate him unless i have tried everything else.
So now, for a few weeks i have him on a 100% canned food again in which i always add extra water. We are giving him daily supplements for the blader and urinary system and have ordered some better ones from abroad.
We live in Romania (eastern europe) and unfortunately nobody recommended us a good vet surgeon that could help us with the perineal urethrostomy, that is why i want to postpone it as long as possible because I am really stressed with the procedure...

If you have any tips or advice for me and my lovely Toby, i would strongly appreciate it... If you had similar problems with your cat, please tell me how you solved it...If you know a good vet in Eastern Europe, please let me know.
He is a really happy and loving cat, he is playful and happy, the only times he seems upset and in pain is while peeing...
Sorry for the very long post, i really tried to sum it up and left a lot of details out, but the problem has been going on for so long that i couldn't write just a few sentences.

Thank you all for reading !
Have a lovely day !
Maria
Old February 16th, 2018, 02:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Maria.

Have you considered maybe switching him to a raw diet? I've heard a raw diet can acidify the urine and help with bladder health.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 16th, 2018, 11:20 PM

Hello Maria:
Welcome to the forum. Hope we can make some suggestions that will help you with your problem with Toby.

I'm glad to see that you have made a major shift away from kibble to a quality canned food.

I see that Hazel has suggested a "raw diet". And I more or less have to agree with her.

I was asked by a vet many years ago to feed one of my cats raw because he preferred his patients fed that way. He was an integrative vet and it was one of the best pieces of advice that I've had. It's not everyone's forte, and it is time consuming if you're doing it yourself, but well worth the effort.

I've had a few cats with urinary tract trouble prior to the request to go raw.
I've also used Homeopathic remedies that have worked for a while - maybe a few months - and then I'd have a recurrence.

The term "idiopathic cystitis" got my curiosity up and I googled it. I came up with a web site that I found very interesting. It pointed out some problems that I was unaware of that pertain to the diagnosis.

Here are the sites:

https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...t-disease.aspx

http://catinfo.org/

The first web site gave me information that I wasn't aware of that can cause the problems and it was part of what our issues were. That was stress and accompanied by kibble food didn't make it any better. It's well worth the read and hope it helps you, if you haven't already been there.

The 2nd one: Scroll down the green runner on the right side to where it says Feline Health, and there is Urinary Tract Trouble. She also has an article on Prescription Pet Foods. They both are very interesting. I've followed this web site for many years and find it very handy.

Something that might be of help to you for pain in Toby is Arnica pellets
30 c. Have you had any experience with Homeopathics?

Do you have any other animals at home other than the other cat?

Check to see if you can find anything that might be causing stress in Toby, like loud noises, neighbour's cats in the yard, and the list goes on. You really have to play "Mr. Detective".

Keep us posted on the situation.