Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 12th, 2005, 04:07 PM

Smile Akc/ckc

Hi,

It might sound stupid but can someone tell me the difference in CKC/AKC ? I went to their website and once talked to another dog owner that has a AKC dog and was told AKC dogs are way better. Not that it makes a difference to me at all, i love muts and every other cat and dog,they are all cute in their way and bring joy and laughter to us, IF we treat them well.
Any replies?? Thank you !.
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Both the American Kennel Club and the Continental Kennel Club are simply registries for purebred dogs. While at one time, it may have been argued that having AKC papers meant that you were getting a well bred dog, sadly this is not always true anymore. The Continental Kennel Club used to be the club of choice for commercially bred dogs, but again, this is not so true now. There are several other "registries" for "purebred" dogs in the U.S. anymore.

Please do not confuse the Continental Kennel Club with the Canadian Kennel Club.

Personally, I would check out the breeder thoroughly and get a dog that had either AKC papers or UKC papers. Unless the dog was from Canada.
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Smile Akc/ckc

Thank you Sandi,

I have two purebred Shih Tzu's, Sandy and Garrett,both puppies still.
One is CKC and one is AKC. I gotta say the CKC dog is more active and also...hmmm..how can i say that...well she is just so different in apparence than the AKC. Her coat is nicer,she is more alert than the other pup.She is also taller and they have the same age just days apart. I've seen the AKC pup's parents but not the CKC's ones. My cat,Marco, that i rescued over a year and a half ago can't believe his luck. Finally someone to play with.
I noticed you have 5 animals, that is so sweet. I bet you have no dull moment.
CJ
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually, I only have three now. But my house is rarely dull.
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShihTzuMommy41
Thank you Sandi,

I gotta say the CKC dog is more active and also...hmmm..how can i say that...well she is just so different in apparence than the AKC. Her coat is nicer,she is more alert than the other pup.She is also taller and they have the same age just days apart.
The difference in these pups has nothing to do with them being registered with different Kennel Clubs.It has to do with the difference in the Sires and Dams...Just a bit of info for you.
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

By CKC, do you mean "Canadian Kennel Club" or "Continental Kennel Club"?

The former is merely the Canadian counterpart of the AKC.

The Continental Kennel Club is unfortunately a disreputable organization who would probably register a cat for you.

And having AKC/CKC registered dogs means next to nothing - it merely means the puppies come from parents who are purebred and of the same breed. They could be the sickest and most poorly bred specimens around and still be registered.