Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 4th, 2007, 12:30 AM

Update on Leia

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't checked in of late.

Leia had her leg amputated two weeks ago on Friday. She is doing really well so far and is staying inside of course.

I am having a slight problem with her tonight though and I hope it gets better. She is having diarrhea every little while. I take her out, she does her business and she comes back in and she is fine for a while. (she has also thrown up once) no she has not had any tainted pet food, she's been on Kibbles and bits dry for well over a week. She did have a couple chunks of Skippy premium can when she first got home from the hospital. (I hid her pills in the food) but no can food in nearly two weeks.

Anyone have any ideas on this? again she does not act deathly sick or anything, but I am a worry wort.
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:40 AM
~Cat Servent~

Now that is a heart breaker of a picture.... what a trooper!

Not a dog person, but maybe call your vet and see if she could be sick from the anesthesia still or something. And I believe that the food you are using is not recommended by any doggy people on this site.

Best of luck to you and your adorable pooch!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:28 AM

Oh, she's so pretty!

For the diarrhea and vomiting, I always go to the vet when it's both.

I hope she's ok.
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Animal Nut!

good to hear from you!
I'd give the vet a call and see what they have to say about the diarrhea and vomiting. It may be nothing, or she might be getting an infection, but I guess she is on antibiotics and stuff.

She is a gorgeous looking girl
Good luck, we have all been wondering what's been happening!
Pam, Lexie and Quin

R.I.P. Cassie, one of my greatest LOVES. My Rotti.(The Gentle Giant).

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Awww...what a sweetheart

Is she on medication? Antibiotics? Could it be that they are upsetting her tummy? Or even stress?

Definitely take her into the vet - just in case.

I hope she makes a speedy recovery, good luck!
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Look at that sweet face!

Antibiotics could certainly be causing her diarrhea and her vomiting. But a vet check is in order, anyway--after major surgery, even little glitches should be checked out to rule out infection. And the combination of diarrhea and vomiting can lead very quickly to dehydration.

If she's been on antibiotics since the surgery, when you're there, ask your vet if you can give her some plain active-culture yogurt. (Some antibiotics are not supposed to be given with dairy, so you may have to stagger the pills and the yogurt by a couple of hours.)

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Honest Contributor

she is so adorable! always so sad to see a dog missing a limb but they adapt so well, much better than humans do! i hope she feels better soon.

Quote:
she's been on Kibbles and bits dry for well over a week
ummm, PLEASE change her food... that stuff is just terrible, one of the worst you could feed your pet :sad: you are not helping her health by feeding her industry byproducts, chemicals and waste. Please look into better foods such as Canidae, Natural Balance, Innova (regular and Evo), Solid Gold, Timberwolf Organics, etc. These better foods cannot be found on a grocery-store shelf though (NO good foods are stocked there) so if you need help locating a dealer, we can help you and your sweet pixie :love:

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM

Would definitely love some more info on the food.

Leia was much better today. Her upset tummy leveled off at about 8 am.
Old April 5th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww Leia,look at that"poor me"look,dogs are masters at that
Hope her tummy gets better and I agree,gradually put her on better food,there are tons to choose from
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Some dogs just don't react well post surgery. It's likely that it's just stress (confusion) of losing the leg, but it could be the meds as well. Even now that she's feeling better, please check with your vet anyway. We're just not qualified to diagnose problems like this.

She's really beautiful. I'll bet she's back to her old "running and jumping" self in no time.
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Live well, laugh often

Glad to hear that the surgery went well. She really is beautiful . I agree with the others about getting her a better quality food as it can only help her recovery . Good luck and keep us posted.
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Honest Contributor

brad411, what foods are available to you? do you have a petshop close by, where you can go and note what they carry? we can help you choose a better food which will probably add years to your dog's life, and certainly reduce some future vet bills

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Leia

Hi all,

Took Leia to the vet late this afternoon. Turns out she had the swollen anal glands, which a lot of dogs get sometimes. They had to squeeze them and a lot of "stuff" came out and the smell was probably very high on the skunk scale. lol.

They gave me some pain meds and antibiotics for her.

Anyhow, glad I took her as she had to have been awfully uncomfortable... I am so worn out with vet visits the last four weeks though, I might as well have a bed put there and just stay part of the time.
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:24 PM
-

Ya but she's worth every ounce of sweat and tears ! We have a little Pittie in my neighbourhood who underwent a front leg amputation in the fall and she's bouncing all over the place.

But seriously Brad4111 ~ we gotta talk about the Kibbles and Bits !

I'm glad she's pulling through ~ she's a sweetie
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM

Is there a certain brand at the grocery store that anyone would recommend?

help me out here gang I go to store Saturday. LOL. My dogs are picky eaters also, whatever it is has to have some taste to it.
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

She's a sweetie
glad the surgery went well.i would not feed anything out of the grocery store
it's no good food.you need to go to a pet food store to get the good stuff.
like canadie,innova timberwolf.these are much better foods.
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Live well, laugh often

Your best bet would be to check out your local pet food store and let us know what is available.
Old April 7th, 2007, 04:02 AM

update on Leia

She is so very pretty. And those eyes.........you have one gorgeous pet there.I know she will recover and get on with her life, dog are much like that.

One thing i cant understand, this is addressed to everyone not to you Brad411
is why dont you cook your own dog food. Why do you need to use tinned stuff?
Old April 7th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollymf View Post
She is so very pretty. And those eyes.........you have one gorgeous pet there.I know she will recover and get on with her life, dog are much like that.

One thing i cant understand, this is addressed to everyone not to you Brad411
is why dont you cook your own dog food. Why do you need to use tinned stuff?
I think for most people going through the daily rigors of life. (job, kids,school, etc) it's too time consuming for some, and also probably too expensive for some also to cook.
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Live well, laugh often

Home cooking also has it's drawbacks. It is very difficult to meet all of a dog's nutritional requirements without doing some careful research. I also think that for a small dog it is a great alternative but for larger dogs that is a huge time and financial commitment.
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM
-

Not necessarily... I've done cooked, raw and kibble (least and most expensove) but I don't want to this too much. Brad ~ you aboslutely need to at other food for your kiddo. The food forum is the best place for you.
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM
-

Leia is absolutely gorgeous and I hope she adapts well to her surgery.

I agree with the others that you need to change her to a better food. Canidae (www.canidae.com) is a good choice and the most economical of the premium foods. Another option is Innova (www.naturapet.com). Make sure you switch her to the premium food gradually. Her poops will likely be a little soft at first but that's just her system adapting to better quality food.

Good luck and post if you have any questions.