Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM

cat vs. dog

I got a dog 2.5 months ago, and my 3.5 year old cat loves him most of the time, and let's him know when enough is enough... but I've noticed that the cat is steadily losing weight. The cats food is up high where the dog can't get it, and he eats regularily, is it possible it is because he's playing so much more? How much weight is too much for him to lose and remain healthy?
Thx.
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Kitty Consort

The dog cant get to the cat's food....but is it possible that the cat is eating the dog's?
This could definelty result in a steady loss of weight - dog food not suitable nutrition for felines.

If that isnt the case.. then I'd suggest a vet checkup for your cat.. so many things can cause a weight loss.. and you are worried about it.
Good luck to you. Let us know, wont you?
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Cat vs dog

That is an excellent suggestion, but I only feed the dog once a day, and he never leaves anything in his bowl.... but now that you mention it, I am guilty of sharing the dog treats with the cat... not sure if you're familar with "Roll over" but it's like a pepperoni and I often give the cat a little bit.... maybe that's the problem?
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Kitty Consort

I'm actually not familiar with that type of dog treat - but if just given occassionally, I wouldnt think this would account for a marked loss in weight.. particularly as you are observing kitty eating his regular food.

It sounds like your cat is appearing frisky.. but is he otherwise symptom free?
No diet change? Litterbox usage, stools normal? Coat condition appears the same?

How much weight would you estimate your kitty has lost?
Is there a marked and visilbe difference? If there is, that is definitely a red flag for a young adult cat.

As the decrease in weight has been ongoing, I really feel the best thing for your peace of mind is to just go ahead and get a checkup for kitty... to rule out underlying health issues.
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:13 PM

weight loss

No other symptons, which is baffling me.... coat, energy level, poop, everything is the same.... but I think I will take him in for a quick check up. Piece of mind is worth more than $$$$$
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me.
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:25 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Anytime you notice a real change in your pet's weight it's always a good idea to have a checkup done. That being said, I know that when my 2 dogs go to my folk's house, their exercise level goes WAY up (large house/2 acres of fenced yard). This might have been the same situation for your cat - enter Mr. Dog and suddenly you've got a permanent playmate to tear about the house with. I hope everything's ok with your kitty and welcome

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:31 PM

cat vs dog vs mom

Thanks so much for the welcome and reply. I will be at the vets tomorrow, even though I hope it is just an exercise thing....
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:34 PM

Welcome aboard mojo&morgan.

I think it's a good idea to visit the vet as well. Cats tend to hide symptoms of certain illnesses until it's almost too late. One of my Siamese has kidney failure. I noticed he'd lost weight, but since everything else seemed fine (coat, appetite, litter box trips, etc.) I thought it was from an increase in exercise. I should have known better!!! (Now I have a case of the guilts to go along with the sick kitty :sad: )

In addition to keeping kitty's food up high, keep the litter box up high or off limits too. Dogs love digging kitty "treats" out of the litter box
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:44 PM

dogs & cat litter

Catzig,
Thanks for the reply..... what is it with dogs and cat litter? I am in an apartment and pretty much hanging the box from the ceiling.... I love my dog, but think twice about letting him kiss me.... I seem to mostly be winning that battle, but I am definitely with you on getting Morgan to the vet sooner than later.

Different subject, but my dog (got from rescue) goes insane when he see's a Canadian Tire commercial and when I say the word "friend"????????

I know that sounds ridiculous, but I have witnesses.....
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:43 AM

I never let my furkids kiss my face ... I can guess where they've been licking . I understand dogs and cats smell the individual ingredients of things, rather than the "treat" as a whole, so something in the cat poo must smell extra yummy. OMG is that where the idea of granola bars came from?

It's funny how certain sounds either make them come running or just freak in general. Being a rescue it's always a little harder to figure out why. Sooooo, what happens with the Canadian Tire commercial? Now I'm really curious