Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 5th, 2005, 10:32 AM
<-----nut ball

dog brings bone/toys to me

What do you do when you dog walks up to you with his favorite toy, drops it at your feet, and stares at you? I don't know what Odin wants when I do this. We rewards him with lots of praise whenever he plays and chews toys he is supposed to, is he just presenting them to use to say "look, I'm being a good boy"

Odin is so cute though. I can't get over how much I love watching him bury his bones. It makes me laugh so hard it's so cute. Last night, he tore apart an old chem text book of mine (don't really care as i'm not a chemist) and took one of the papers, and wrapped his bone inside it! Now he carries it around with him, in the paper, and "hides" it in the middle of the floor!
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Maybe Odin wants you to play fetch with him? It's a super wonderful sign of bonding when a pet brings you their favorite toy/treat!!!! He loves you so much! That much is so easy to see. It warms my heart! :love: :love:

If you can, get a picture of him carrying his wrapped bone! That would be so cute!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I am not sure about Odin's breed, but goldens bring "presents" all the time. When I would leave the inside door open, Champ would have a mountain of toys by the screen door at the end of the day, all the "gifts" he tried to give to passersby. It is a "golden thing" to want to carry something, but I also think it was a sign of love, as he was particular about what toy he offered to which person. I could tell where a person ranked in his affections, by what toy he offered them.

Funny, little Valentin lies beside Champ's favourite toy now, and wags his tail. And he only does this beside the one toy too.
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:48 AM
<-----nut ball

I thought maybe fetch, but Odin doesn't do fetch (we have tried). Sometimes he will run for the toy, bring it back, we get it from him, we throw it again, he gets half way and forgets about it!

If I go to pick up the toy, all he does is stare at me! He is such a cutie! I just took a pic of his wrapped up bone, and I will keep the camera handy to get a pic of him with it. Right now he is out cold at my feet!

That's so cute goldengirl! I'm so sorry about champ though. He sounds like he was an amazing dog who had an amazing family. Odin does that too. Sometimes he will take all his toys and bring them in one room.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Shih Tzu Owner

Whenever Ariel brings a toy to us, it usually means she wants us to play with her. She enjoys jumping and chasing around for the toys.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

sammy drops his teddy[a squeeky bear dog toy]

in my lap on a regular basis, usually he wants me to play with him, we play fetch with his teddy so its a pretty clear sign he wants me to throw it

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:21 AM
banned user

Justice brings all of her toys to us. She has tons of stuffed toys that she goes through, and so I have to sew them back up, and then her nylabones i check to make sure there is no large peices she might swallow.
She will come up with her toy, and we can tell the look of 'play' versus 'hey, check this one out mom, can i still play?' its really quite fun. She hands us the toy, we look it over, tell her its good and she goes and plays again.
She does it with plastic water bottles...brings them to us to 'check'. If we have to fix the toy, we tell her 'done!' and she sits and waits for us to fix (or throw away in cases of the plastic bottles)
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I would agree with the "play" answer....he probably wants to play. Since you praise him whenever he does it, he is learning that bringing you things is a good thing (which it can be!)

If he doesn't fetch, he might still play "catch".....where you kinda play keep away with his toy....get him jumping up and down...(if you are okay with that).

I posted this picture on the intro thread, but, this is a great picture of Sheamus playing keep away....
Attached Images

Old April 5th, 2005, 02:38 PM

I agree. Presenting a toy is a way of initiating play. What about tug-of-war, does he like that? Or how about you hiding it and while he "stays" and letting him find it? Fetch might not be fun for him because it doesn't involve you enough.
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:24 PM
<-----nut ball

I was thinking it might be a way to play...but I haven't really found any games to play with Odin. He does let me hide his bone, whereas he doesn't let my BF do it, probably because I am home more.

Other than hiding his bone, which he doesn't seem interested in, we don't have any real games that he likes. He doesn't do tug o war for more than 20 seconds, then gets bored. He just likes to be brushed a lot, and have his tummy scratched. He doesn't run after balls or toys or frisbees. He likes to chase me, but he gets too excited when we do that and tries to bite us, so we stop...
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Valentin likes to play "kill the toy". I take one of his stuffed animals and wiggle it back and forth on the floor. He pounces on it and shakes it in his mouth to "kill" it. Then we start over again. He like tug of war too, but gets bored more quickly.

Have you tried a treat ball with Odin?
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Gabby brings me EVERYTHING!! A lot of times she wants me to hold her Nylabone (or whatever else) while she chews on the end of it. I'm a sucker so I usually do it!
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:02 PM

Kayla brings me toys all the time and puts them on my lap as a sign she wants to play fetch. And if I don't throw it for her she pushes it closer to me, and if that doesn't work she grabs another toy and puts that one on my lap. Sometimes I end up with quite a few toys on my lap, because I can't throw them off my lap or she will just bring it back thinking I have agreed to play with her. The if my boyfriend sits down she takes the toys she put on lap and starts to pile them on his, it's very vute Unfortunately I can't ever throw them for her after 5pm because my nieghbor downstairs complains.