Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old November 25th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I am the greatest hunter EVER

K, not really but dont tell the dogs

Went to the grocery store again today ( another one) this time for people food. And I thought to myself " self, it doesnt hurt to ask" So i went to see the butcher and Iwalked out of there with.... atleast 40lbs of meat
FREE too!
It was alot of work once i got home though, sifting through the discusting box of the butchers "oops" cuts and whatnot.
There was everything you could think of ( well not really but you know what i mean)

After 3 hours of sifting and cutting I ended up with 4 Five gallon buckets of meat.. and 6 grocery bags of RMB's !!!
The freezer is now FULL and I have to take a break from my treasure hunts for a while

This butcher said that there is a guy who feeds his sled dogs raw and takes the "left overs" ( some of that was really good meat) during the week. So i can have the weekends. Im not greedy so I said "Every second saturday I will come in" Gotta get another freezer i think...Or convince some others to feed raw in my area. Im not sure now if I cancel the beavers ( prolly will) or what I am going to do with all the bones from the cows?

IM in over my head! lol
Old November 25th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Can I send my dog over to your place for dinner?
Good job! I think you have inspired me to do the same. Next time I'm at the supermarket I will ask too. What's the worst that can happen? Maybe they'll slap me silly with a flank steak
Old November 25th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Honest Contributor

oh! i so envy you! i think i'll do the same... like you said it can't hurt to ask, right? so how did you ask... any pointers for a "i hate to ask for anything" kinda girl? there are a few stores in my neighborhood i could hit... oh man you need to adopt more dogs! LOL

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old November 25th, 2006, 06:34 PM

That is awesome. I am also a "cant ask for anything person", so I would love to know how you asked.
Old November 25th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I'd like to know too.... 'Hey, got any free crap that no else'll eat?' just doesn't sound right

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 25th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999 View Post
Yeah, I'd like to know too.... 'Hey, got any free crap that no else'll eat?' just doesn't sound right

Yeah and the other question is "what happens to the past pull meat after the pull date?"
Old November 25th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies Man View Post
Yeah and the other question is "what happens to the past pull meat after the pull date?"
Health regulations say it needs to be disposed of. It cannot go home with anyone because of possible contamination. About fifteen years ago a major grocery chain in the US had a huge controversy because they were changing dates on the meat and putting it back onto the shelves. A lot of people got sick and for a long time their profits were in the gutter. They've only re-surfaced with their profits and their image over the past five years. I know people that still won't buy meat from this chain.

Sorry for the threadjack folks.

Last edited by jesse's mommy; November 25th, 2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old November 25th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I picked up some chicken legs with backs attached ( really cheap as usual) and it was the last "bit" of it so it started off as asking for more of that.
I just said, " Hi, I was wondering if you had any more chicken backs or other scrap meat" and it resulted in.... "Is this good? whats it for?" So it was a great convo. I was concerned about it being expired meat and she said " No, we put that in this box daily" (and showed me a big bin in the freezer)
But yeah, she went through a bit of the meat to show me that it wasnt horrid. There was lots of skin and other useless stuff in there too, which is why i had to go through it all, but really who cares when it a deal like that!?!?!

I think it really helped that we talked for a while about why i was feeding raw and how I do it ( I think she has dogs too, not sure) but she was really intersted in it thats for sure.

Im not usually an asker either, but really what is the worst that can happen??
" No sorry we dont do that?" thats not that bad right! Ask away !!!!
Good luck
Old November 25th, 2006, 11:34 PM

dang!! i go to the asian markets (being vietnamese and all) and it doesn't look like there is any part of the animals that doesn't get sold (yes we eat EVERYTHING) but the bright side is I get chicken hearts and livers for only 5.99 a pound, kinda expensive but you aren't gonna find those things at Costco
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynlyn
but the bright side is I get chicken hearts and livers for only 5.99 a pound, kinda expensive but you aren't gonna find those things at Costco
are you KIDDING me? i've never paid more than $2.50 per pound for those and that's in regular montreal grocery stores... where do you shop so i never go there, LOL although with bowser's size i guess it doesn't matter, he would eat so very little in a week it wouldn't make a dent in your budget. see THAT is what kills me when you have two big dogs to feed vs a little one... i can't afford to buy anything expensive for the hoovers

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love: