Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 7th, 2006, 12:32 AM

Small breed dog food?

Hi I am new here

I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for a dog food for chihuahuas.

I used to feed my dog Eukanuba, and recently he had this really bad allegies. So i started researching about dog food and stuff, I learned a bit more and I realized Eukanuba is actually not that great. I am switching him to Wellness, fish and potato. But was wondering if anyone has a better suggestion of dog food for small breed dog?

Thanks
Old April 7th, 2006, 12:41 AM

I like this one: Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit
There's no corn, wheat, soy or poultry in it and it's more dense so the little doggies don't have to eat so much every day. It's salmon based and either of the fishy foods will work wonders for your doggy's fur.

My big doggies like the solid gold better than Wellness... But both are pretty great foods. (My dogs eat the large breed version of the Solid Gold).

Good luck. Allergies can be tough to sort out. Both of these foods (wellness and solid gold) are a huge step up from Euk though.
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:06 PM

I have a website with tons of nutrition information, specifically for chihuahuas.
(I'm an exhibitor/ future breeder of chihuahuas- I don't sell any products- the site is there as a source of information for chihuahua owners/ future puppy buyers)

http://members.cox.net/starsen/feedi...inesintro.html
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:39 PM

I don't have a chi but I have an italian greyhound and I feed her wellness white fish and sweet potato because she has allergies. It works really well, she barley scratches at all now. It is a really good food.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Hm the Solid Gold sounds good. I might give that a try.
My dog has allegies too and I dont know what he is allegic to still! I am feeding him wellness fish and sweet potato forumla right now. Have been for a about a month now, his skin is still kind of dry. Maybe I need to try something else? And i find that the kibbles are bit big. Does your chi do ok with the kibble size of the wellness?
Old April 26th, 2006, 06:21 PM

We have Gomez on Burns - while he was smaller, up to 10 pounds, he was eating the Mini Bites, now he's 12 pounds he's onto the "big boy" stuff, venison and rice, he did very well on the Mini Bites, it's all natural, etc etc...
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denwishy
Hm the Solid Gold sounds good. I might give that a try.
My dog has allegies too and I dont know what he is allegic to still! I am feeding him wellness fish and sweet potato forumla right now. Have been for a about a month now, his skin is still kind of dry. Maybe I need to try something else? And i find that the kibbles are bit big. Does your chi do ok with the kibble size of the wellness?
It can take a long time for allergies to clear up. You might want to keep going for a while if everything else is going ok. (Sometimes it can take 6 months or longer for allergies to clear up).
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Really 6 months? I hope it's not something out in the environment, cause if it's seasonal allegies then he will get it again next year

I wouldn't mind trying the solid gold, but do you know if i can get that in Toronto?
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Probably... I can get it in Montreal and it comes from California.

Allergies are hard to figure out. Just when you think you have it all worked out, they get some other type of itching...
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM

I will look around to see if they carry this brand in Toronto.

Yeah his allegies are bad. He developed this crusty ears thing, and they turn into blisters and scabs Looks bad! I feed so bad for the little guy. And his fingers are swollen and his discharge coming out of it! I don't know what to do.
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:54 PM

I feed my chi Go Natural Chicken, Fruit & Vegetable.....mind you she likes the cat food quite a bit and I have a hard time keeping her out of the cat's food!Here's the link to their website http://www.petcurean.com/main.php
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denwishy
I will look around to see if they carry this brand in Toronto.

Yeah his allegies are bad. He developed this crusty ears thing, and they turn into blisters and scabs Looks bad! I feed so bad for the little guy. And his fingers are swollen and his discharge coming out of it! I don't know what to do.
He might need a cortisone shot from the vet to help him get started... (and to stop the itching).
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:56 PM

I will ask about that when I go to the vet next time. Thanks

I am thinking of doing an allegy test for him, maybe I will get a clue from that as to what he is allegic to. Are there different kinds of tests?
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Yes, there are.. I think you do the environmental and food allergies separate... But I'm not sure.
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Great I will look into it . Thanks for all your help!