Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old August 18th, 2003, 04:59 AM

Predicting or preventing death from bloat

I came home to find my fifty pound standard poodle on the bed (her usual place) but her stomach was distended and she did not do her her usual "you're home, you're home , you're home" dance. In fact she hardly moved at all. I called the vet and he agreed to meet me at the hospital. She died in my arms before we got to the car. The vet said that "bloat is just something that happens sometimes with deep chested dogs".

Could I have forseen this terrible tragedy? or prevented it? She had never been bloated before. She did not eat differently or gobble her food that night or usually. I had been out for about six hours.

My dog had been well cared for and healthy. She was probably seven, a rescued dog so I'm not sure of her age. I'd had her for three wonderful years. She'd had a complete checkup prior to getting a Lyme disease booster on August 3rd. She died on August 16th at midnight.
Old August 18th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

So sorry to hear this! How upsetting! Just try and think that she had 3 wonderful years with you that she may not have had otherwise!

Yes, bloat usually happens in deep chested large dogs. A couple ways to try and avoid it is to feed 2 or 3 small meals a day, and not just one large one, and to limit exercise after eating.

Even with this, it may still happen. If a dog survives one episode of bloating, it will be prone to having it happen again. In this case, the vet usually tacks the stomach in place during the surgery to repair the bloat. This prevents it from ever happening again.

If anyone reading this suspects bloat, RUSH your dog to the vet.

Again, sorry for your loss!
Old August 18th, 2003, 01:09 PM

I was feeding cocoa, my standard poodle dry dog food and the woman from whom I adopted her says that was what killed her. She says you must always soak the food with standard poodles.

Cocoa was a not one to eat quickly or drink large quantities of water and run around a lot after eating, but she did die of bloating, and I hope to adopt another adult standard. Do you think that the dry dog food (NutriiMax or the other high end foods) are alright to feed a standard poodle? A large supply of fresh water was always available along side cocoa's dry dog food.
Old August 18th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Nutro Max is very good food, but how you serve it matters more than the food itself. As I said, the daily amount should broken down into two or even three small servings.

Higher quality food, like Nutro, need not be fed in such large amounts as the cheaper brands and is much more digestible. This is an advantage for all breeds and not just poodles.

Bloat is a risk for this breed, as it is for many other breeds, but I would not let it stop me from adopting another dog.

I'm sure nothing you did caused your dog's death and I have never heard of it being necessary to soak poodles' food before feeding. Sometimes these things happen no matter what precautions we may take.
Old August 18th, 2003, 03:21 PM

Thank you, for you first thoughtful and understanding reply, and you help both times...This kind of sudden death is so shocking, and the loss of a beloved dog is terrible always, but the good news is that the people around you, both close ones and new ones come thru, and the world seems a good place despite the loss. With love, barbara
Old August 18th, 2003, 06:13 PM

So sorry for your loss

Barbara, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I have a standard poodle -- a big guy -- 65 pounds (until he recently began suffering symptoms from cancer and lost 15 pounds).

I wanted to tell you that Rex has eaten dry dog food for almost 13 years and has not suffered from bloat. I'm quite sure you did everything right and that bloat is just a terrible thing that can happen with standard poodles. I have been concerned about it, but of all the precautions I've heard of, I've never heard anything about wetting the dry food.

I hope you will adopt another dog soon. When my little cairn terrier died many years ago, I waited far too long to adopt Rex and really missed having a dog. You are obviously a caring wonderful pet owner and any dog will be blessed to have you for an owner.

All the best,

G Thomas
Old August 18th, 2003, 06:27 PM

Thank you so much. One of the things I've learned in the day and a half since cocoa died is that there are as many wonderful loving generous people close and out there as well, as there are loving pets. There is the terrible loss and a wonderful gain, both at once. Somehow the loss isn't so bad today. Cocoa seems to be with me because so many people have expressed so much love and understanding. Thank you all.

If anyone knows of a standard poodle (I'm allergic to most other breeds) a female, who needs a new home, e-mail me. I need a new companion!

And to youu GT THOMAS I wish you and your big guy the most and best you can give eachother. I hope, and will pray that you beat the cancer, and live as long and as happily as you can. With love barbara
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Barbara, I am very sorry - I have Rottweilers (have never had to deal with bloat, thankfully) and a good friend of mine lost her old male Great Dane very suddenly to bloat. It's an awful thing, my sympathies.

I don't have the lonk handy, but if you do a search on "Purdue bloat study" you can find out quite a bit of info from a fairly extensive study. I don't think anyone really knows the true cause, or how to prevent bloat...for years we were told to elevate a dog's feeding dish, then the Purdue study found that actually increased the risk. I've also read that adding water to certain kibbles can also increase risk....bottom line, it's absolutely nothing you did, or could have prevented.

(There are many folks who feed a raw grain free diet - I do - believing it decreases risk. But I have heard of dogs bloating on raw too...)

Good luck in your search for another poodle- never a "replacement" but dogs sure fill a space in our homes and hearts.
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:16 PM

Many thanks Carina....I know that there aren't replacements, but I really want a "new" dog. I got my first dog at 63 and discovered that loving one, makes it easy to love all of them. didn't you find that too? Love b
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, for sure! Dogs are like Fritos...you can't just have one.
Old August 18th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Barbara, where are you located? We may be able to help you find another poodle to love!
Old August 19th, 2003, 01:17 AM

I am in New York city right at Washington Square park where there's a dog park for half the week. There I work at home and the dog stays in the office with me. I drive to Woodstock NY (where the music was) for the other half the week. There the dog has the run of a fenced in large open property.

I can easily "go see" anywehre in NY, NJ, CT, MA, .....I'd love a standard, female, any color....I guess under five or six , but I'm not fixed on anything but a sweeet affectionate creature. I thank everyone for trying. Love, barbara
Old August 19th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is a group you may want to correspond with.
Poodle Rescue

If they do not have what you are looking for, they will try and help you find the right dog for you.

Good luck finding a new friend!
Old August 19th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Thanks, I am on the case and very hopeful! Love b
Old August 19th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

Wow, Barbara - bless you for rescuing.
I have a lovely male Rottweiler who would probably love your schedule~
But alas, he is not a poodle, and he's not always sweet...!
Old August 19th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Dear Carina,
I am allergic to most dogs and when I got cocoa I only knew of poodles as being ones I wasn't allergic to so I put in "poodle rescue" on the internet and she was mine the next day!

I think the new one will come to me in its own time. Love b
Old August 19th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Boy, you are a fast responder.
You probably already know about petfinders...? You can search breeds & locations there too, it links to shelters as well as private rescues. That's how I found my little female spoiled-rotten-weiler, 3 days from her kill date.

Sure feels good to save a doggie life!
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Broken hearted.

I'm not sure if anyone is still reading these messages, but I thought I'd write a few things.

I took my standard poodle to the vet this morning. They called me 11/2 hours ago to tell me they were taking my precious Koda into surgery.

It seems he has bloat. I logged on to the internet, did a search and found pets.ca. The very first article was on bloat. WOW.

I'm sitting here now reading all this information through, heartache and tears.
I can't beleive there is such a big chance I might not "spoon" with my Koda ever again.

I am so absolutely broken hearted. I am waiting to find out if my babe even made it out of surgery alive.

He is a 2 year old standard, we share the same birthday, and I waited years to get him after my last poodle died of hemagocarcinogoma (something like that) I didn't think I would get over that loss, and now...after only 2 short years of loving this animal, i'm facing the same pain. I'd rather someone cut off my legs. I don't know if I can bear this.....
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:35 PM

So sorry to hear of your loss, keep your chin up and be thankful for the happy years you shared with Cocoa and that she didn't have a long, painful end.
Does anyone know is West Highland White Terriers are prone to bloat? I've never heard of this killing dogs before, so amy advice would be much appreciated!
Sarah
XxX
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Bloat is mainly seen in large breed dogs.
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Bloat

Here are 2 articles on bloat;

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-bloat.htm

Marko

ADMIN
Closed Thread