Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 6th, 2010, 07:28 AM

What to do now?

Hello to you all, I am experiencing a difficult situation with my 10 year old weimaraner. She has cancer in one of her back paws. I checked different vets and all agree to amputate. However, I had not considered prices yet due to emergency of the situation, I do want what is best for her, and I was trying to save her paw. Finally, yesterday I asked the 3rd vet, accepting that amputating is the best way and they told me from 1800-2500 CAD$. I just recently (3 weeks ago) finally got hired under a small contract, after a long time under difficult economical situations, I was able to keep my dog, but now I cannot keep her healthy. I cannot afford that operation and improve her discomfort (it is already really bothering the dog). My location is temporally Fredericton, but my permanent is Gaspe (only one vet practice). I am still waiting from pricing there....I was hoping 700 $ I could even get to 1000...but not as much stated above. Are there any listings of vets that perform exceptions after showing that I cannot afford it?...My partner and I have already paid about 600 $ just for "diagnose" (x-rays, blood test, cytology and else). We just can't get to the higher sum. I am looking for choices now...are there any?
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I am so sorry your having such a difficult time. I just wanted to share a link with you from one of the members here. She has a tripod GSD. Naybe her site can offer you some answers to questions you may have!

Good Luck...welcome to the site !

Cindy

http://jaidasjourney.blogspot.com
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 6th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

What to do

Have you contacted the farley foundation?
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:15 AM
-

This is a link which may help you generate ideas about $$$$

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...nary_care.html
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:52 PM

Thank you all.

Dear all,

Thank you for your replies at the moment of need, they did help at the time. I had finally found enough money and a reasonable price to do the operation. Of course, the type of cancer that my dear furry daughter had was a nasty one. It was too late even at the first time of diagnose. Things went down fast and badly enough. She is resting now. It has being a while, but I was not even able to login again (too sad). It is difficult to loose a dear pet, they are more than pets. Mika was my family. I just hope to be able to move on slowly and see gracefully and happy the time that I was able to share with her, it was the best of gifts.

Now, that said there were lessons learned. I just want to share a little of my experience and let you know that there are options for other cancer diagnosis in extremities; amputations/extractions are a good choice for cancer treatments, and if you diagnose fast some of them might even allow having a prosthetic leg to increase mobility if it is an elder dog that might have more complications to adjust (that was Mika's case, I was planning to find money for that too). There is a Canadian prosthetic maker (k-9 orthopedics). I recommend talking to him for any case, he is very helpful and understanding. Hope that info helps someone out there someday. With nothing else to add at the moment.

Best to all,

Dbee
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm sorry to hear about Mika, Dbee

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

so sorry to hear about the passing of Mika, she's running pain free over the bridge now and will be waiting for you. *hugs*
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

So sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved furbaby. We feel your pain. Thank you for coming back and updating us. We do remember and wonder about the pets we hear about. Your baby is running pain free again now, but will always remember the love and wonderful life that you gave her. She will be waiting for you. Mika.
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:30 PM

I'm sorry that you are in this very difficult situation. The only thing that I can suggest is that you contact a breed specific Weim group and let them hear of your plight. When I have a Giant Schnauzer in need (either via rescue or via being contacted) we post the information to our Giant lists and people are very good about making donations directly to the vet who is giving the care. You will find much generosity in the world for a situation as heart breaking as yours and you should be able to garner the help necessary to see you both through it or at least to help with the burden.
With one rescue Giant that we had in vet care, after putting out the word via breed specific lists and sites, the entire vet bill was paid anonymously. I was overwhelmed. It is always best to give the vet information and contact so that anyone who wants to contribute can check with the vet center for verification and can know that their funds are going directly towards the vet care.
Much good luck to you!
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:31 PM

I'm so sorry, I just read the update and realize that you have now suffered a great loss. I hope that maybe someone else can see the other information that I posted before it is too late for their loved pet. Money for vet bills should not have to be a deciding factor.
Again, sending prayers and good thoughts your way.
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so very sorry to hear about Mika's passing.

dear Mika.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)