Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old August 10th, 2012, 02:25 PM

haha...troll, maybe, speaking the truth, definetly

Hello all, there is no point mentioning my name as I am sure quite sure actually you will all hate me at the end of this post, so will not be returning, or looking at responses actually, but I am putting this message out there for any owner's who come to this site having a mix breed. I am a vet technician and work at my local animal shelter on the weekends at times. I came upon a post where you all pretty much attack this poor guy for getting his wife a Morkie. I have never had a Morkie, don't know much about the breed as a combination, I agree it is a mutt of course, but if he wants to call it a Morkie let him!), but I will tell you one thing, you all complaining at him and attacking his choice to get a Morkie, but your various reasons is so wrong. I work at the shelter, as of right now about half yes half of our animals are purebred! So your complaint that the result of "designer dogs" are overpopulating the world and leading to deaths of millions of unwanted dogs is ridiculous. I have two rescues purebred golden retrievers from there, that when I got them it was quite clear why they were given up by inexperienced owners. You see it is not the designer, mutts we should worry about it is the breeders/owners, PEOPLE themselves. Also this is just mine and my boss's opinion of course (a vet) but through our experience, our purebreds do experience more health problems then mutts. My two Golden's (whom I love) have had many actually later on in their lives-they are pure, I have the documentation to prove it, one is even ckc reg. Why don't we go after the puppy mills, instead of people who are getting their mutts not from puppy mills, but even though not reg. it seems like responsible breeder. My great Aunt who actually bred CKC Dalmatians, told me so many fellow breeders/ friends that she has met, do pump as many pups as they can out in order to make money. Before I had these purebreds" I had mutts other than one purebred, and guess what! That CKC registered German Shepard died at 5 years old from a brain hemorrhage. So far in my volunteer career, I have helped shut down 8 puppy mills in my province, what have you guys done other then complain?! You all talk about how there is a overpopulation of mutts, in my opinion there are too many purebred breeders in general out there, there is enough so there should be no worry a Golden Retriever will disappear as a breed, Go volunteer at your local shelter, or help a local volunteer organization in shutting down puppy mills, or horrible back yard breeder's then talk.As I agree many of these designer dog breeders are BYB, many, many are not.Do proper research. Sorry but I see buying a purebred CKC reg. dog here the same as actually purchasing a mutt, I would do neither.Though if you can make excuses why you have bought your purebred, do not look down on someone buying a mutt from a reputable (yes not certified) breeder who cares just as much about breeding their Mix as your CKC reistered breeder cares about breeding her dogs-as I know one lady who breeds her purebred poodle and purebred golden together, only because she finds less health problems and better dogs all around, after may I add being a retired Golden Retreiver CKC breeder for over 20 years!
Anyways, chow!
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Ohman, stick around and read more posts. I think you will find that there are many members and ex-members who have done more than you think in rescuing . Some giving up their whole lives to rescue.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

ohman, not sure if you are a regular under a different name, but suspect maybe not or you would know how many of the members on this board work hard in the rescues and have helped shut down puppy mills, on and on. Nobody hates you or your opinion, you are entitled to your opinion. I have always had mutts and love them to death. I am currently waiting for a purebred - the problem being that I have not found a breeder of three Provinces of searching, so over breeding is not an issue here.

In my humble opinion, if somebody like your friend wants to breed poodles to goldens go for it. Just make sure the parents are stable, healthy quality animals. Does she screen all of her breeding animals for genetic diseases. Do they pass any type of breed testing at all? Just asking?

Mutts are great, and most everybody on this board owns one or more.
Old August 10th, 2012, 03:46 PM

There are just more bad mixed breed breeders out there. Sure, some have nice websites and so on, but very few do health testing on the parents, or any sort of showing or events with the parents to know and prove the parents have good temperaments.

There are of course purebred breeders who are horrible too, you'd see THOSE pups in a shelter being dumped.

But there are also a lot of good, responsible, ethical breeders of purebred dogs. They do ask questions of the people who inquire about a pup. They do educate those people if they have screened them and decided they are a good home for one of the puppies. And they support them for life, so when there is an issue with the dog, the breeder is the first one called for help.

You wouldn't see those purebreds in a shelter, or even rehomed, because it's a rare situation that a pup they've bred has the issues that result in the dog getting dumped. I know many breeders like that and rehoming just isn't something that happens very often - and if it does, it's back to the breeder's house.
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Our board is a mixed one with different opinions.

But we have 5 forums dedicated to rescue and many regulars are involved in rescue....so you are preaching (in general) to the wrong crowd.

You'd also be better off preaching in a different way.

You'll find that when people preach to you in this same way, that you won't listen because the tone is rude and condescending.

So keep preaching because your message is important....just do it in a way that doesn't waste your time and the reader's time and actually accomplishes something. 1 large paragraph with no line breaks is also a poor way to get any message across. I encourage you to rethink your strategy.

Good luck.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 11th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

It's too bad that not only have you pre-judged but you are inexperienced in what you do and not open to being educated. You see, you've made a common mistake and that is assuming registration with the CKC is supposed to be some kind of guarantee of quality. It's not and it doesn't pretend to be. The CKC is merely the registering body for all purebred dogs in Canada. Your mistake is, you don't understand the difference between purebred and well bred. CKC registration is merely a stop on the long road to finding a well bred dog, and a stop early on the way too.

Ditto to all the board member comments above me too.