Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 31st, 2007, 12:06 PM

'Designer Mutts'

Hi my name is Cherish and I've been reading up on this topic and for those of you that can relate please respond.... I have a 'Designer Mutt' I didn't have to pay for her because it was a friend of a friend that had the pups... But I do know people that are charging 650 dollars for them.... At first I thought you could certify them in CKC.... But now I'm not so sure since alot of people are saying they are mutts,mixbreeds, or whatever.... My dog is very pretty with the 2 purebred mixes that she is and so far she hasn't had any problems.... I hope she don't start either! I'm concerned on what to do about her future... I was hoping to breed her with one of the same purebreds she mixed with to streghten the genes.... But I don't want it to be apart of the statics. Because I was going to sell them but not like most people those prices are too much...
Thanks

Last edited by Cherish91484; July 31st, 2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:18 PM
The demons' servant

Er just a few things.

If you want spam, keep posting your email. Unfortunately its NEVER safe to post your email address on any sort of public page.

This is also a very pro spay/neuter forum. Many of the people on this forum are from rescue organizations and don't believe in breeding for the sake of making new animals. You likely won't get too much information on how much to charge or any breeding advice. The general consensus is to leave the breeding up to the "experts" who've done this and learned from other experts.

Beyond that I can't say much...I'm more of a cat person...

Megan
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:37 PM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
I was hoping to breed her with one of the same purebreds she mixed with to streghten the genes....
im not sure what you mean by 'straighten(strengthen??) the genes', if you dont breed your dog then there arent anymore messed up genes right? if we follow your logic.... breeding your dog just leaves an entire line of contaminated dogs who will never ever breed true... or breeding her wont strengthen HER genes... and not even her puppies.... you would just be breeding more mutt puppies.... that wouldnt be mutts if they werent born right? and she would still be the same mutt as before but now having had puppies.

please fix your dog. your friend was giving them away because their only other alternative was to send them to a shelter or keep them. you will be damning any of your dogs puppies to the same fate. if that doesnt bother you, take a trip to your local shelter on the day the put down puppies and kittens.

-ashley
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:10 PM

First I must commend you for seeking information and asking questions as it seems that far too often, people just decide to breed without considering any possible repercussions at all - whether to their own dog, or to society.

I'm sure your dog is very pretty, however you will not be able to register her with any reputable kennel club because she is not a purebred.

I have three dogs myself, one's purebred and AKC registered, but I would not breed her under any circumstances - which is why she's spayed. Despite the fact she's a purebred Maltese (although she is very badly bred), she was going to be euthanized when she was 2-years-old because she didn't have a home. My other dog is a very popular designer breed, a Maltese/Yorkie X. She found herself in rescue and at one point was in danger of euthanasia. That's exactly the reason all of my dogs are spayed, and I strongly encourage everybody whose dog's pedigree does not span back for several generations, is not a champion, and is not health tested to spay or neuter. It's not because I don't love mutts, because they're my favourite kind! It's because every day I see purebreds and mutts alike being euthanized simply because there aren't enough homes for them. The rescue I'm involved with saves dogs from high-kill shelters, and every day we look at dogs and have to pick...which ones will come up and be saved, and which will be left and most likely euthanized. I wish we could bring them all, but there just aren't enough homes and for every puppy that's bred and sold, there's a shelter dog that no longer has a potential home.

I really don't know much about it, but breeding your dog can also pose several risks to her health. Firstly, leaving her intact significantly increases the risk of certain cancers of the reproductive system, and having puppies can really take a toll on a dog. There's always the possibility that a dog might need a c-section (which is very costly), or that she might reject her puppies and you'll have to wake up every 2 hours to bottlefeed them for 8 - 12 weeks.

I must sincerely thank you for doing your research and caring about all the dogs in shelters, and I urge you to please reconsider. If you would like another dog, I'm sure there's many sitting in shelters right now that just dream of a home like yours.
Old July 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM

First of all I am sorry i'm new to this.... For the people that think I'm trying to create something new your wrong thats not what i met by the genes... I simply met the puppies blood line of one of the purebreds that in my dog but i get it.... Thank you for the ones that do understand,, I'm not new to having animals... I had a mix breed but made up of all kinds HEINZ 57! And she was the best she died at 8years old... So don't think i'm a monster my other dog had 3 litters not my choice just happened. When she had the last litter I got her fixed.... And far as shelters go they don't care where I live about the animals.....
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish91484 View Post
my other dog had 3 litters not my choice just happened.
Yes it was your choice ! No it doesn't just happen It is your responsability as a good pet owner to have them spay and neuter !!!
Old August 1st, 2007, 03:27 PM

To Frenchy

Uh it wasn't my fault she had three litters I was a minor so until i turned 18 she was my parents responsibilty... Thank you very much and all three litters was before I was that age so for now on please don't write anything back if you don't know the situation!!!
Old August 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

If you read carefully, you'd see that someone previously posted in this thread that this board is made up of a LOT of Rescue owners/volunteers/supporters, and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would support the idea of making cute puppies.

You've asked a question, been told the solution, perhaps now make use of it.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:01 AM
-

Thank you for caring enough about your own dog to to ask. Please know that 10's of thousands of dogs are killed each moment we speak around the world as a result of owners who either don't care or because people who take on puppies decide they don't either.

If you think I might be wrong, go to www.petfinder.com and see how may dogs are unwanted in your state or area right now. That's just one adoption source. There are many others where dogs are euthanized within a few days of being unclaimed or unadopted.

Cherish the life of your dog. There are at least three potentially fatal cancers you can save her from by getting her spayed. Don't breed her and risk her life, love her just the way she is ~ all yours.