Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 5th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Question I need a groomer in Scarborough (Toronto)

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced dog groomer in the Scarborough area (Toronto)? I'd like a place where you can stay and wait/watch; not where you have to leave them there for hours!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Magic - black mixed Shih Tzu, Chihuahua, Malteze, Bichon (bn Feb 19/08)
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Short of petsmart, most groomers aren't wait and watch, which means they are busy. If you would go the other way two excellent groomers are out there. one is Birchmount boarding kennels at Birchmount/Ellesmere( the vet onsite, Dr. Barett is also a very good vet.) Or Parkers boarding kennel at Meadowvale and Sheppard ( near the zoo).
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Short of petsmart, most groomers aren't wait and watch, which means they are busy. If you would go the other way two excellent groomers are out there. one is Birchmount boarding kennels at Birchmount/Ellesmere( the vet onsite, Dr. Barett is also a very good vet.) Or Parkers boarding kennel at Meadowvale and Sheppard ( near the zoo).
Aslan, do you or have you ever used either of the groomers your suggested?

BTW, Petsmart does keep your pet for a few hours. We took Magic to a local Petsmart and they kept her for 3 hours. We didn't know at the time (we're new puppy owners) that they would do this. They also put them in the back in kennels with other barking, terrified dogs. That's why we would rather not take her back there. Although I must say the groomer there did an amazing job with her and absolutely loved her to death. He couldn't say enough about her - what a wonderfully cooperative pup she was for her first time, which did make us feel better about leaving her there.

It would just be nice to find a place where, like your own hair salon, you make an appointment, show up and they take her right away rather than locking her up in a cage when they're not tending to her.

Thx, Cathy
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Bluecatt, i use to be a groomer for Birchmount... I use to go to classes with groomers from both businesses when they would come up with new techniques, shampoos etc. The techinique used at birchmount is , the first few dogs are bathed, as they are being dried, and groomed the rest are all being bathed and dried. The animals are in the same room as the groomers all day so they aren't alone at any point in the day.
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:50 PM

I recommend talking to people who groom from home. I'm not a "groomer" in that I never went to school for it or anything. But with 5 coated dogs in the house and 11 in the family, someone had to learn! lol! Also I've been mentoring under a breeder and she's been training me as well. And I do have a few out side dogs that come to the house (mainly just referals thorugh friends and family). All pet owners (family or not) are welcome to stay when I groom. I groom in family room, so everyone comes down, makes a cup of tea and we chat while I groom. Often it's nice, because the owners will learn how to do this or that. I'm in St. Catharines, tho, so it's a bit of a distance for you.

However, I do know that there are other members of my kennel club who do the same thing (groom from home), I would recommed contacting your local Kennel club, many of them will be groomers and maybe able to groom for you or direct you to someone who can.
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Bluecatt, i use to be a groomer for Birchmount... I use to go to classes with groomers from both businesses when they would come up with new techniques, shampoos etc. The techinique used at birchmount is , the first few dogs are bathed, as they are being dried, and groomed the rest are all being bathed and dried. The animals are in the same room as the groomers all day so they aren't alone at any point in the day.

That sounds good, I know where the Birchmount place is, I'm about 10 mins. away. Thanks
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:30 PM
-

Bethaliz thats an excellent idea as it's more personal, just curious and if the answer is no i might suggest it. Do you and your club take animal cpr, just incase. accidents do happen. That is something you might want to look into Bluecatt. take a grooming course get a good set of clippers, scissors a jar of quickstop, nail clippers and off you go. It will more than pay for itself in no time.
Old August 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog's groomer is excellent but I think a little further west that you want to go - we live in East York now so had planned on asking you how far into Scarborough you were. We used to have small short-haired dogs so grooming wasn't we had to think of, and then came the Eskimo. Our Groomer is located in the same building as our vet with access doors so for us a no brainer. You don't wait and watch though. Actually my Eskie hates being groomed - but loves the water at all other times - but would behave far worse if I was watching. She also does not have the strap hanging around his neck. I have watched the dogs being groomed at the Laird PetSmart - I am still waiting to see one not being shaved down to the pink! Including I am sorry to say - a double-coated Eskimo. I think the thing is to find a good groomer - just like a good hairdresser - they can be anywhere, whether it be a budget chain hair salon or a Yorkville hair salon. My dog plays - or rather they play with his tail, while he waits to be groomed. He goes once a week to be socialized - groomer offers this service, but I always have him groomed on a different day otherwise he would "remember" and plant his feet on the way in. Eskies are very smart and he knows his routine. I hope you find someone who are happy with. I can't believe I have a double-coated white dog who loves the dirt.
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Bethaliz thats an excellent idea as it's more personal, just curious and if the answer is no i might suggest it. Do you and your club take animal cpr, just incase. accidents do happen. That is something you might want to look into Bluecatt. take a grooming course get a good set of clippers, scissors a jar of quickstop, nail clippers and off you go. It will more than pay for itself in no time.
Our club has had instruction, we often have guests in for education on different topics. It hasn't been done in a while, but it has been done. It's probly time to do it again
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM

Thanks all. I called around to a few places including the one at Birchmount/Ellesmere (they have a very impressive website BTW) but it seems every one is booking into September! I can't wait that long, her hair is getting so long. We can manage to cut a bit around her eyes in the meantime, but we're going to give Petsmart another try. Next time, we'll book in advance at another place.