Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:50 AM

Question My little Piggie, pomeranian!

This is my first post so I hope I'm putting this in the right place?

I have a wonderful little pomeranina girl, her name is Piggie. I think she may be pregnant because she has been bleeding for a while now, about 2 weeks give or take. But just a couple of days ago I was rubbing her tummy, she loves that, anyhow I noticed that she has 4 nipples. Could she be pregnant?

I have another male pomeranian and his name is Poohbear. They have locked quite a few times and I'm sure other times that I haven't caught them. I've never had dogs that have had puppies before so I'm really curious to know if this is a sign because of her nipples that she is pregnant?

I read about a similar question that is asked alot but it didn't really asnwer my question. I'm not going to take her to the vet "yet"! I would like to know if someone on here can explain the details of a dogs pregnancy, like the nipple part!!!

Thanks,

ravyn142003
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

It's so totally irresponsible to have unspayed females and unneutered males, cats or dogs!!!

You need to take her to the vet to find out if she's pregnant, and even though your other post says you don't want to terminate the pregnancy, that's exactly what you should do and get her spayed and your male dog neutered.

I'd like to know why you haven't done so before now.

Cindy
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Take her to the vet, have her checked out.. If she is not pregnant then make an apointment for her to get spayed ( make an appoinment for poohbear also)and if she is pregnant then the vet will be able to answer all your question..
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Some 20 years ago, my mom raised, showed and bred pomeranians.

Our first bitch died in giving birth. We lost one puppy and hand raised the other three.

Our second bitch was exposed to canine herpes and we watched two entire litters die before there was a diagnosis. We were VERY careful with her and what dogs she was exposed to and the male that we bred her with showed no symptoms.

Breeding dogs is a very serious business with any breed but more so with the smaller breeds like pomeranians.

BTW - Having been there and done that (and been part of the Michigan Pomeranian Club and attended meetings) I can tell you that male poms, used for breeding, often start marking their territory with a vengence.

Honestly - more than a million dogs are put to sleep every year for nothing more then lack of a good home. While you may well find homes for any puppies that Piggie might have, there are dogs in shelters who would love those homes.

If you really love your Piggie - get her spayed. You will have her around for a lot longer and she will be much healthier.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
NOT a senior member

I agree with the above posts. Having two intact dogs of the same breed does not constitute a reason to breed them. You are saying all we need to hear that this breeding should not take place because of your lack of knowledge on the subject. If you even suspect that your bitch is pregnant and bleeding by the way, you need to have her examined by your vet asap. There you can have your questions answered and discuss the spaying and neutering surgeries which in reality, you should be doing for the health of your animals.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......