Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 14th, 2011, 12:33 AM

Talking Advice about getting a dog

[I made a new thread here cause the other place i put it i dont think it was the right spot!]

I wanted to start off by saying, Hi just singed up today! Was trying to find a decent forum for awhile, also wanted to say this was the best subforum i could figure out where to put this post, so if its in the wrong place feel free to move it, but please let me know so i can copy and paste... its too long to re-type!

As the title says, I've been considering of getting a dog (I have my eyes on two, A Sib-husky/wolf mix and/or a Malamute/Wolf (a Wolamute)). Now i wanted to state that this isn't going to happen soon for several reason main one being I wouldn't be able to afford on fanatically yet.

Now after doing research for some time I've learned that Siberian Husky/Wolf mix are more hyper and "lively" and the Wolamutes are a lot more laid back, lazy, chill.

But I had a few conserns i wanted to address before anything start with letting you know a few things about me;

First I've never owned a dog, just cats, so I'd imagine i lack the experience (Which i also did some research and asked some breeders/trainers and told me that a -LOW- content wolf mix is "First time" pet owner friendly"). I would of course go to training school and the works WHEN/IF I plan and feel that im ready for a dog.

Second, I live in BC, Vancouver, Burnaby, around Holdom and hastings. Also i live in a Apartment, not all that small considering I live alone but still not all that much running space for a pet. The upside is i live on ground level, right outside my patio (which is on ground level, first floor) after no more of 20' of grass field hits a sort of a small park/wild life (lots of trees and *****). and right across the street is a huge school, with a VERY VERY large field that is actually attached to a extremely huge public playground with loads of room, roughly about 2 soccer fields.

Thirdly is my life style, Since i live alone i work (Duh lol). I do not own a car, yet, so i use public transport. I work 8 hours, and usually 4 days a week (sometimes less sometimes more, never more then 5). And what I've been told was in my situation a Wolamute is the best option amungs the husky hybrids due to the breed being a more lazy, chill breed.

So now you have it, I just wanted to know what your opinions are on this AND KEEP IN MIND that i have not decide yet, and i will do my due-diligence before deciding, after all i don't want to bring and keep a met miserable!

So I would be gone roughly 8-10 hours a day but the rest of the time at home, I don't go out much so the rest of my attention would be at home. I've also read things such as hiring a Doh walker/babysitter for the hours I'm gone and im all for that if needed.

... So yeah, i just wanted to hear your opinions/experiences on this! And Please if you're just going to B**ch and complain take it somewhere else, I'm not all that interested in people that don't have a open mind or pay attention to what ive said, Just keep in mind i don't actually the pet and haven't decided anything yet... think of it simply Hypothetical.

So yeah, Could this work, what advice do you have? Thanks in advance!
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry but any Husky is not good for your situation. You are gone too much and this dog is a wanderer, needs lots of stimulation and exercise!! I would be looking at an adult dog that is way more laid back.
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I found this: http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...ritishColumbia which I hope will make you re-consider as your lifestyle and previous dog experince, which is NONE, would not make this pairing ideal. A reputable breeeder will have extensive questions for you, designed to protect the dog, and I dare-say would very possibly not consider you a good petowner prospect for any high energy breed requiring knowledgeble firm handling.

I'm surprised the wolf hybrids are legal in BC, they are not here. I do note the article does not address whether they are legal to keep as pets so that, I think, would be among the first things to investigate.

On the dog part of the mix you are talking about dogs bred to work, work hard and expel a lot of energy. You do not mention how you intend to accomplish this. A romp around a school yard would not cut it for my Lab, my neighbours with Siberians put them in harness and sled them, carts in summer. Training school would be only the beginning. My neighbours with Sibs (and one older Malmute) cannot let them off leash. For one thing the dogs have terrible recall, despite what I know is not for a lack of training. And for another they scare people and they are afraid someone would shoot them or at the very least, complain to authorities.

I's curious, what health testing do these breeders of "wolf dogs" do?

You are wise to ask questions. I really think you could handle a dog with your work schedule but not a puppy and preferably a less energetic breed. My Lab, now that he is four, can miss a day of walks (offleash for at least an hour in the bush) but I doubt he could handle 4 days in a row without. Think hard, maybe you could go out with someone who has these dogs?
Old November 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Floppy Dog

I'd re-think getting a dog, based on your working hours. While there are some breeds that are laid-back and wouldn't mind being on their own for long periods of time (as long as there is something to keep them occupied), the vast majority to dogs can't be on their own for 10 hours.

Have you considered talking to your employer to see if you could bring a dog to work? Translink allows small animals in carriers on the transit system. I've taken my 23-lbs Cocker Spaniel in a carrier on several occasions. So a small breed dog who can get enough exercise walking to and from the bus stop and around the block at lunch might suit you better.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old November 14th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

IMO, there is no such thing as a "responsible" hybrid breeder, most especially when it comes to mixing with wolves. This is a wonderful link and a great video. I encourage you to check it out and do your research. I don't know who told you that any dog with a -LOW- wolf content is a good first time owner dog. Any northern breed should be with an experienced owner, mainly to prevent them from ending up in a kill shelter, rescue or even worse... dumped and left to fend for itself. And many experienced owners find wolf hybrids extremely challenging. You may not have a family right now, but this dog could live 10-15 yrs. When you do have children, are you going to throw the dog away because of it's high prey drive and becoming a danger to your baby? I would hope not, but you may be surprised at the amount of people who do. I have 2 Malamutes myself. They are majestic animals, but they are stubborn, head strong, are prone to seperation anxiety and several health issues. Not saying this will happen to one you get, but I'm batting 100% on the health issues. 2 and both have numerous problems. I won't get into everything here, but my hubby and I have spent over $30,000 on 2 dogs in the last 16 months. One thing Malamutes are prone to are immune-mediated diseases and Vaccinosis (vaccine related immune reactions), as well as immune-mediated hypothyroidism, cancer, hip dyslplasia, Epilepsy, Dwarfism and numerous other conditions.

Another thing you mentioned you were told is that they are relaxed, lazy, chilled. Again, I'm not sure who told you this, but they obviously didn't give you all the details. Siberians are far more active and hyper than a Malamute, but that is once they reach maturity. For Malamutes, they mature between 2 and 3 years old. Once they mature, they start to "mellow". But as puppies, Sibs and Mals are very similar. I wouldn't say Mals are "as" hyper as puppies, but pretty close. They defintely are not laid back. They are energetic, inquisitive and require not only large amounts of physical stimulation, but mental stimulation as well. A bored Mal is a destructive Mal. Our 20 month old has been going to daycare since he was 3 months old because he cannot be left alone, which is another thing you need to consider. Daycare is a wonderful option for people who work and still want a pet. It socializes them and keeps them occupied during the day. But none of the daycares I know of will take a wolf hybrid. PLEASE do your research before you get any dog (and it looks like you are! ) , but especially a northern breed. They have a very high prey drive and a mind of their own. They are not good off-leash and are escape artists. You mention you live near a playground. You won't be able to have a wolf hybrid off leash, especially near any playgrounds. I have a 12 yr old Mal (not even wolf hybrid) who I watched stalk a toddler in my neighborhood. Is he a bad dog? Absolutely not. But he does have the typical Malamute prey drive, which is why he will never be off leash. He is the sweetest boy in the world, but it gave me the chills to see him do that. A wolf will be much worse and they are never to be trusted with children or small animals. Again, please check out this link... it's from Marko (Admin of this board) in regards to wolf hybrids.

http://www.pets.ca/blog/pet-podcast/...stanley-coren/

Good luck and I hope you can find a good match for your lifestyle!

If you are stuck on a northern breed dog, please consider an adult rescue. There are SO many who need loving, caring homes. They are not in rescue through any fault of their own. The fault comes from hasty decisions made by irresponsible people who love the "look" and never consider the traits. Here are a couple of links to Mal rescues:

http://www.malamuterescue.com/inrescue.html

http://www.wamal.com/

And petfinder is great as well. These 3 links should give you reason to really research this breed. People spend thousands of dollars on "purebreds" only to dump them off at a shelter or worse, just dump them to fend for themselves. You have to ask yourself why any of these beautiful babies are homeless. Again, it's because most people don't take the time to research.

Petfinder has 381 Malamutes looking for a home. Some are mixed breed, but a good part of them are purebred. If you adopt an adult, you will be more likely to get the "chill" dog you are looking for!

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012

Last edited by Rgeurts; November 14th, 2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: To add more info
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Agility addict

Most breeders who claim to be breeding wolf hybrids are lying out their backsides. Just mention to one that you are going to get the pup DNA tested just be sure and watch them back peddle.

This is a good thing. The few people I know who ended up with a wolf/coyote cross with dog have had a very challenging go of it. Typically they make horrible pets even for experienced owners. Shy, flighty, very stressy, quick to bite due to fear etc.

If you want a large hairy laid back dog I suggest you adopt an adult from a rescue or shelter. People often want a breed because of how it looks and a little on breed write ups. In many cases breed write ups are like horoscopes, they are so general they fit most dogs. To get to know a breed you need to hang out with them, get to to know them. For most pet people the fit of the individual dog is going to be far more important than breed.

Go find a laid back adult who needs a home that clicks with you. That way you know you will be happy and you will be saving a life.
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the reply guys, not to worry! Like I've mentioned I had plan on getting one anytime soon - or even if I would at all.

After a few days of carefully thinking about it I've decided that I don't think I would plan on getting a dog at all, I love dogs so much but I asked myself how I really felt about the loads of responsibilities that come with one and I dont think I could or would be up for it, atleast now.

If I ever do it maybe later down the road, thinking maybe 10 years (when I hit 30), I feel then I'll have my life more on track and would be all nicely settled without worrying about any life suprises!

Anyway this was all just curiosity and would like to thank you all again, a dog is not for me just yet but one day maybe!
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Also to note that they are in BC but you need to have a lisence for one (the works) atleast this is what I've come to and have learnt from my research/asking questions!
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Kumquat, I think you have made a wise decision. But you do sound like a dog would be good in your life. What about volunteering to do walkies or help out at a shelter nearby? You'd get your doggy "fix" and the dogs would benefit too.