Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old January 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Porkhocks

Thought I'd give him a treat
Attached Images

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Attached Images

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old January 11th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Looks so primal,he must be in doggie heaven.
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Honest Contributor

you go, roscoe!

mine are chomping on a bone-in pork roast right now... i can hear them cracking and crunching through the balcony window, LOL! too dark and cold to snap photos though... you'll have to use your imagination!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM

I've been wanting to pickup a pork roast but they always seem so costly.

PS, No E in Rosco

Old January 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Honest Contributor

oops, i keep mispelling names all the time dyslexic alzheimer's technodoll...

i normally wait for the bone-in pork roasts to be on sale at 0.99/lbs but it's been a month or two since the kids have had any pork, never on sale during the holidays... this week at Metro it's 1.29/lbs, more than i like to pay but i got 6 small roasts anyways... they'll share 1 per week unless they come on sale again.

also picked up 3 tubs of plain yogurt, on sale at $2 each (they freeze well) and a bunch of chickens at $1/lbs, and we've been stocking up all week on the cheap tuna and salmon AND we have a bunch or raw mix (beef and chicken) at $0.54/lbs that should last for a little while...

Old January 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM

I try to keep an eye on whats for sale at the supermarket but sadly don't get out very often. Are there days when meats usually go on sale?

Old January 11th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Are there days when meats usually go on sale?
i haven't noticed a pattern in the chain-wide sales (the ones advertised in flyers) BUT i often find marked-down meats on Mondays and Tuesdays, "manager's special" deals, each store has their own... i cruise by a few on my way to work every day and when i see a sale, i stock up

Old January 11th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought pork was bad for dogs. I was told on this board that could cause pancreatitis.
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Honest Contributor

who said that?

raw pork is perfectly safe and a good "red meat", should be part of a balanced raw diet if you can find good sales and if your dog likes it... mine go nuts for it

i don't know what effects COOKED pork has on a dog's system though

Old January 11th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Live well, laugh often

Actually TD the pork issue has been around for a very long time. In some of the original "raw" books (ie. Kymthy Schultz etc spell?) they said not to feed pork due to "trichinosis". It's the same theory that you always need to cook pork for humans so that there is no "pink" because of the trichinosis worm thingy.

Also, it is not advocated to feed pacific northwest fish either because they have risk of "ricksettsia" which is basically salmon poisoning.
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Honest Contributor

well trichinosis has been virtually eliminated from the North American pork stocks, so it's really not an issue anymore...

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...sis.htm#common

Quote:
Is trichinellosis common in the United States?
Infection was once very common and usually caused by ingestion of undercooked pork. However, infection is now relatively rare. During 1997-2001, an average of 12 cases per year were reported. The number of cases has decreased because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw-meat garbage to hogs, commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products. Cases are less commonly associated with pork products and more often associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats.
since 2001 more progress has been made to ensure that pork is parasite-free. Also, the few cases in the United States are mostly the result of eating undercooked game or home reared pigs, not commercially-raised pigs... which is the only pork i would feed my furkids.

time to update those raw-feeding books, get the current stats right and dispell those myths!

Old January 11th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Live well, laugh often

I agree but it is an issue that will probably take some time to change. Even among raw feeders there is a lot of beliefs and differences of opinions on what is the best/correct way to feed raw (just like the kibble debates ).
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Honest Contributor

i have no problem with people not feeding pork to their dogs - more for me! i guess it pays to be progressive, LOL!

Old January 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

mine eat alot of pork, all 'home raised' however.
Guys parents raise their own livestock so we have been getting alot of meat and "scraps' through them.. Their dog has always eaten the raw leftovers and he is 12 year old healthy as a horse run of the mill farm dog. I dont think he has ever eaten a kibble in his life.
Luckily for us i guess, that Guys parents are very orgainic. Strongly believe in all natural feeds and care.
Or should i say lucky for our doggies
The only downside to pork that i have come across so far is the GAS seems to be one of the main meats that are fed to them, that cause the FARTS!
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
The only downside to pork that i have come across so far is the GAS
erykah is the gas happening everytime you feed pork, or only certain cuts of pork? ie the fattier pieces tend to be harder to digest and produce gas, for some reason... are you adding anything to the pork meals? Also, a gorge meal will sometimes produce gas while a smaller meal may not, on the same meat... it's a test-and-see thing for every individual dog you may want to give digestive enzymes when feeding pork to help facilitate digestion and eliminate the stink... it really does help

Old January 11th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Its the fattier cuts TD. I do give digestive enzymes for Pork and some beef cuts. Kita seems to be the most sensitive to the gassyness of the pork, but she does LOVE it so... I think she is gulping, she shakes all over, in excitement almost, when she see's its pork I guess its her fav Puppy doesnt really react to anything... he is a tank... and an "always empty" one at that too ( not literally but i am convinced he has an eating disorder... if that is possible for dogs )

B hasnt had anything other than chicken just yet, he is still very unsure of the whole idea... likes his veggies though
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Mmmmmmmmm Pork Hocks

Lolly LOVES the Pork Hocks.... Its a regular food here!

angie J