Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

...And Oscar's BACK on the fluoxetine!

It's basically prozac prescribed by the vet to curb some aggression problems I've been having with him. I'd taken him off it a few months ago since, when he went off the oral Prednizone, the aggression he was showing with Zander just faded away. I was getting used to having a nice happy household again and Zander was coming out and sitting on my lap again , but a couple of weeks ago, it's started ramping back up. It's only Zander that Oscar picks on and now poor Zander is terrified of him. He hasn't done him any terrible damage yet but there's been a good bit of blood.

I'd gone over to the Spirit Essences website and picked up some Peacemaker and Bully Remedy but I swear the fights started again the day I put the Peacemaker in the water! :sad:

This morning they got in a bad one and, I know you all will yell at me because I'm not supposed to get in the middle, but I grabbed Oscar off Zander and Oscar bit my hand BAD. I'm not really complaining - I'm glad it was me and not Zander that he got (though it hurts like hell).

So it's yet ANOTHER medication for Oscar but I just don't know what else to do. He literally stalks poor Zander and Zander is so timid now... Ok, he was already timid but now he's really, REALLY timid.

So anyway, any suggestions aside from further meds?
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry you've been having these issues. I know how you feel though. I've been having issues with Vlad ambushing Oksana. I thought about getting the Bully remedy, but it seems not to have worked for you and I'm now wondering if I may have the same problem.

I don't know if this would work for you, and you may have done the same, but I've been leaving Oksana in my bathroom when I'm at work or gone for long periods of time. Since I've been doing that Vlad has left her alone, but as with you, my next step might be Prozac for Vlad.

It's not fair that one cat has to live in fear because of another and when you have exhausted other options, sometimes drugs are your only option.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM

It's just so frustrating isn't it AG? We all lived very happily together for years and now this!

I generally try to keep Oscar separated when I'm not around but even when I am, it can be hard to sideline it if I don't see the beginning. If I can catch it very early, sometimes I can distract Oscar just by getting them away from each other but sometimes I'm just not fast enough. After it happens, I usually lock Oscar in the bathroom for a while, but really I've no idea if he even gets that he's being punished or what for!

And it causes such a ruckus because all the other cats get so interested that, if they don't get actively involved, they're like kids at a schoolyard: "Fight, fight, fight! Get him!!! Yeah!" Then I'm walking around with six very pissed off cats who's tails have all exploded. Ok, the tail thing with cats is funny - it's just incredible how big they get when they get PO'ed!!
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

No advice...you need to do what you need to do to get through the day (and night ) As some on this board know, I am having "issues" with Ziggy and Zuzu too and it just about turns my stomach Like AG, for the most part they are living separate lives...not what I had hoped for but a necessary evil for our household right now.

I know AG had Czari on Prozac at some point and was able to ween her off. Hopefully you can break the cycle with Oscar and ween him off at some later date but ALL the house deserves to live in peace.

Don't know if it was a coincidence but Ziggy seemed to peak when we started the Vine essence, though now I do wonder if it is the catnip toys. Or, he is just a bully Whatever it is, Zuzu should not be made to sleep with one eye open. What if Oscar escalates and starts on one of the other cats too.

I don't think it is a bad decision at all. I would definitely go that route if that's what it comes to.

Good luck and

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

It totally is frustrating. I myself am going to try the Feliway, but I know it takes a while to actually start working, as does the Prozac.

When Vlad gets into it with Oksana, I yell NO, and start walking towards him and he runs. He knows he's not supposed to be doing what he's doing. Even Maks seems to think Oksana is fair game so I need to stop the ambushes.

Separating them while I'm gone is for now what seems to be working. Vlad hasn't attacked Oksana in days. She gets some private time to just relax and eat, use the litter and sleep in peace knowing she's not going to get attacked. Not to mention, I believe her cystitis issue has been due to stress. So you not only have to worry about them hurting each other on the outside, you have to worry about the mental state and physical state of the cat getting attacked.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old November 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM
chronically insane.

Socks does well on it. I only wish we could give her a bit more then she'd be totally normal. It really reduced her peeing issues. she still does occasionally have a problem but it was nothing compared to the daily issues she had before. When she does pee in a wrong spot it is usually right infront of the litterbox. Once or twice she got the sofa but that was nothing some natures miracle couldn't fix.

She still is a biter and kinda crazy... but hey atleast she doesn't pee in my moms shoes everytime she gets a bit angry.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Socks does well on it. I only wish we could give her a bit more then she'd be totally normal. It really reduced her peeing issues. she still does occasionally have a problem but it was nothing compared to the daily issues she had before. When she does pee in a wrong spot it is usually right infront of the litterbox. Once or twice she got the sofa but that was nothing some natures miracle couldn't fix.

She still is a biter and kinda crazy... but hey atleast she doesn't pee in my moms shoes everytime she gets a bit angry.
How long has Socks been on it?

Old November 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Frustrating as all get out. My house kitties get along great most of the time except for when TT goes after his sister Dayle. She puts him in his place quickly and life goes on.
In the sanctuary I have the bully cats separated. Except for MiniMo. We need to build her her own little enclosure in the spring so she can't go after the other girls. At this point that is what works the best for me. Separation. It calms everyone down and get relaxed.
Just a thought. When was Zander in for a complete work up with the vet? Occasionally a cat will go after another one because they sense they are sick and more vulnerable.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
How long has Socks been on it?
I'm the worst at estimating time... let's go with atleast 6-8 months.

I had positive results with my session with Liz Severino (animal communicator), and will be taking Socks to see her next time she is at my work place. This is all in theory, but I think maybe if I can find out WHY she thinks peeing on peoples personal items as a retaliation is okay, then I can fix whatever is making her angry.

Again, all in theory... but really don't want to be spending a dollar a day on her prozac for the rest of her darn life which I'm sure will be extremely long since she's healthy as a horse other then being COMPLETELY INSANE!!

hehehe

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:32 PM
-

I have absolutely no advice as my two cats only have minor squabbles.

I just wanted to send you lots of and some
Old November 28th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Catlover2

rjesak, You've certainly had your share of trouble with Oscar, with bladder surgery, etc. Oscar and Zander have not had very good relationship since 2 years ago according to a previous post. After the surgery he got a lot of attention from you. Being the dominant cat in the household, as you say "who thinks he's the man of the house", he resents Zander coming into your lap. This is a jealous boy who doesn't want to see you giving affection to Zander. So I would separate them for a week to chill out---put Zander in a separate room with a cat friend for company. Give Oscar lots of affection, as well as Zander, just give Zander affection when Oscar can't see or hear it being done. You might gradually try letting them out together for short periods and see how it goes. I think this is a behavioural problem, and if he were my cat I wouldn't want to subject Oscar to have to take medication to have peace in the household. That's my
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Hey Catlover, you're right. We basically all lived very happily together for about 8 years. Then, about two years ago, Oscar started having some pretty big asthma issues. He was getting steroid shots practically every other week and daily oral steroids and he just went totally mean!!!

When it first began, I put Feliway dispensers in practically every outlet. It helped for about two weeks and then, even though the dispensers were still full, it just stopped helping.

This weekend, I've been babysitting - keeping them separate whenever they're not separated by walls and doors. Part of the problem is that poor Oscar just isn't having a very good time lately. I'm constantly shoving pills down his throat or giving him inhalers... And, I'm pretty sure, every time I pick him up, he's on his guard because he thinks I might take him to the vet! Poor boy. It's not been a good year for him and all the chicken baby food and loving in the world doesn't seem to be making up for it.

I'm hoping I can just keep things calm until the Fluoxetine has a chance to take effect.

Oh, and 14+, I took Zander in a few months back. It occurred to me that maybe that's what was going on. The vet gave him a clean bill of health (with the proviso that he's overweight - of course, he's the laziest cat ever hatched out of an egg so that's no surprise!)

Anyway, I'm just trying to keep the peace. Oscar is unhappy about being locked up with me at night but he's getting used to it and he only had to be locked in the bathroom a couple of times this weekend. Of course, that doesn't include the times that I would break the eye contact that would start between them and distract Oscar. Erg. It really is frustrating! It's not too much of an issue when I'm not home because they have their own spaces that they occupy and it seems to be a "crossing paths" thing most of the time. Oscar tends to follow me around so, when I'm home, there's more trouble than when I'm not. That said, there are definitely times when I'm pretty sure Oscar is hunting for Zander. That's when he gets shut in the bathroom!!!

I was really hoping for some good effects with the spirit essences. I hate giving Oscar the prozac - he really hates it and it's just yet another drug!
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:48 PM

And Oscar's not on the oral steroids anymore so I was really thinking this problem would go away. It's pretty unusual for cats to present with behavioral issues from steroids in the first place, but the inhaled steroids almost never cause them and that's all Oscar's on anymore aside from Accolate and Cypro-something or other (an appetite stimulant).